The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Another Year, Another Gathering. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
You bet, Harley. It's in there deep under the cortex, the part most folks don't use much! The old reptile brain, slow to wake, but really something when it does.

No sign of cataleptic neuroplexy at all!

Yours,

Paul
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
You think anybody got some vid of Swami Yomahmi??? (Still the most brilliant name in the biz to me.) Would love to see it.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Doug,

There were a lot of cameras and camcorders running; maybe someone will share some of this. Pix are being posted at Sideshow World.

Yours,

Paul
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Garshk, guys, you're gonna make me blush. Thanks so much.

And thanks, also, Doc, for the very nice things you said about Cheeky Monkey Sideshow on Sunday. We all appreciated it.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
It's easy to say nice things about a fun show! The rest of you folk who weren't at the Gathering, get down to the Palace of Wonders in DC and see the Cheeky Monkey Sideshow!

Yours,

Paul
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
James Mundie posts at Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgmundie/se......3104404/

Yours,

Paul
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ok...here is my take...
We went as observers - Not on the schedule, just going to watch. An odd feeling to not perform...
Sylver and I drove 12 hours after striking our show the night before. We got in at 2:30 AM on Thursday, too late to go and meet some of the assembled sideshow folk. We were nervous.
We arrive at the gathering on Friday and start wandering around, hoping to run into someone we might recognise.
The first were Brett and Swami. (Who, according to Sylver, is MUCH more attractive than his onstage character. To quote Sylver, "Yeah...I'd probably date him if you were dead or something.") We immediately latch onto them and puppy dog them around as they went to the stage area. A relief...they were just as fun to be around as we hoped they would be. Then, we got to meet the rest of the Cheeky Monkey sideshow. While we are sitting on the floor in front of the stage (where we wound up spending most of the weekend), I see another instantly recognisable figure- Paul.
What words to describe this man's real life personae? Gracious? At-ease putting? Warm?
It was thanks to him that we had no more worries about how the rest of the weekend would go. He introduced us to a lot of people, including Dorothy Dietrich. A big honor for us, especially since Sylver did her first big escape for the WEAR event. We got to chat with her for the longest time.
Then, the shows started.
Swami was hilarious...His BON routine was phenomenal and rife with humor. I got every last one of his jokes. (Even the ones aimed for true nerds. Ok...especially ones aimed at true nerds.)
Then, the rest of the Cheeky Monkey folks did their thing. Mysterion picked Sylver to help with his act...In itself, one of the most dangerous acts I can think of, but he handled her quite well, and it turned out great. Mab just made me realize I have a hard time watching other glass walkers. (I know what they are doing, and what it feels like if they screw up. It made me shudder!) Damian the Sword Swallower did the sword swallowing in the "Doesn't look easy" way and caused some involuntary gagging by the audience, and, like Paul, I found myself strangely entranced by Sally the Cinch.
Paul found his way to the stage quite a few times, doing his Miracle Elixir pitch (yes...I would definitely buy some), the Sword Ladder with finesse and style (and Sylver got to help with his swords on this one), a cut and restored turban routine (amazing storytelling), and his Chrysalis escape. He said that he never worries about someone stealing his routines. I understand why...no one could. I knew he was good, but the reality of how good blew me away.
Later that night, he took Sylver and I for the equivalent of $600 in fast and loose.
Brett went on the next day. He would have made Todd proud. His suit...well...it was indeed unique. He was pimpin'. His act went well (Yaay for mousetraps!), and he handled JS and his heckling like a pro. He even acknowledged "John Strong, Everybody!" and gave the audience a chance to applaud for him.
Strange that no one took it up.
Crispy and Boobzilla did their act (although it was censored by the venue, so Boobz had to cut her act quite a bit), and it was fun.
Zamora the Torture King...I do not know how he can do what he does every night. The scar tissue alone would make it prohibitive.
Saturday night, we cut out to go see the Old City Sideshow with Danny and his crew. It was a really good time, and they did a lot of stunts that we didn't see at the actual Gathering. Brett did a guest appearance and blew up a water bottle. Danny is a great showman and really worked the crowd well with his acts. It's the little things...lighting a cigarette off of the grinder sparks...so effective...
By Sunday, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to do something.
So I stole the stage for about five minutes. Basically, I did the opening routine from our show. (Sans stuffing the sword up my nose. I knew Swami was doing blockhead right afterwards and didn't want to have two blockhead acts so close together.) It was fun, and the crowd reacted well for such small, simple stuff, but I know I need to get the full show out on stage next year.
Then, came the unbelievable act- Harley Newman on one spike.
Yeah...I won't be trying that anytime soon. Flipping incredible.
Everyone we met was wonderful and outgoing. There were a lot of hugs and "See you next year" at the end.
I guarantee, I won't miss it ever again.
And next year, come hell or high water, I am taking that stage for real.
Thanks to everyone who helped make it a great experience.
Gwyd the Unusual
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Gosh, now it's my turn to blush! Thank you for your kind words.

I sure hope that Gwyd and Sylver Fyre get more stage time for the next Gathering. Anyone who invites Sylver Fyre on stage to help out is, well, playing with fire. After a couple of days, and before their stage time, Sylver Fyre was approached by someone who said that they really enjoyed her performance. Like, who's that guy with Sylver Fyre?

Gwyd and Sylver together on stage are just great. There is a fantastic chemistry that is evident to all. Gwyd is appropriately unusual, and Sylver Fyre provides emotional subtitles. If you aren't sure what you are supposed to be feeling, just glance over at Sylver Fyre to see wonder, shock, disgust, amusement, and other reactions.

As for anyone stealing my routines, it finally hit me after a series of lectures at magic clubs where I ended up buying a lot of magic that didn't fit me that the best performances are very personal. Everybody has different experiences and a different personality. Different people love different things. Your individuality is the basis of your best work. You can read all about this in Tarbell, but I think that you have to get out there and fail while performing other people's material to really understand this. It is hard work to grow into a routine and fully inhabit it, but once you do, it is really yours.

Yours,

Paul
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Gwyd, thanks so much for the kind words on the show, and we were just as happy to meet and befriend everyone that was at the Gathering; just stinks that we couldn't make it there till Saturday afternoon. It is an event that we don't plan to miss in the future, and will be there and stay there longer next year, as well as getting on that stage. Thanks to all the great performers that were there, and to the ones that we didn't get to really talk to, we'll take care of that next year.

Danny B.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Okay, my blog about the Gathering is up now!

Ugh, it took me a week.

JR is going to put it up on Sideshow World, also.

http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
Blog:
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2007-11-09 16:46, gsidhe wrote:
...Swami. (Who, according to Sylver, is MUCH more attractive than his onstage character. To quote Sylver, "Yeah...I'd probably date him if you were dead or something.")
Um...yeah. Ok. Awkwaaard. . . Smile

Great summation (the whole thing, I mean; not just the quote). Thanks for the kind words.

It really was a pleasure to meet and spend time with you and Sylver. Looking forward to doing it again.

~Stephon

Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
Feeling so much younger now....
158 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
Seems like it was just too good to have missed... I'm so sorry I did, and I won't next year...

Maybe a week more between the end of "the month of Halloween" would make it easier on some, but then the weather turns iffy... Choices...

Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
As you can tell, Stephon, it was a mutual pleasure.
Hopefully, we'll get a chance to show everyone what we can do next year!!

Awkward? Nah...Great thing about Sylver, she has a very lax internal censor. Keeps life interesting.
Gwyd
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Just want to say "thanks" to everyone who was so nice at the Gathering. I was the guy working the stage door and the guy who brought the home-brew. It is great to be treated so well for it being my first year at the Gathering and my first year doing Sideshows. Bringing wine did help. Smile

As much as I would love to mention everything and everybody, I'm sure I'll miss things and misspell names, so read other posts and come next year!

Special thanks to Franco for having the determination to start this event and keep it going. Since I'm local (and loco) I'm offering to help Franco more next year.

Also, many thanks to Dennis, who is a super fan and even better chef who cooked and baked for 5 full days before the event, donated 2 cakes and carriers, and then worked to outbid his soon-to-be wife at the auction until a figurine was over $100 and wouldn't take their change from Bob, who insisted. While I'm sure that I don't know what everyone did to help make this event happen, I just wanted to show the tip of the iceberg.

Everyone was generous with their time and talent. I do want to overlook the very few things that only slightly detracted, everyone knew or knows. Now, not only do I plan to see everyone there next year, including all of you who couldn't make it, but I hope and pray that we see more generosity and positive attitudes to make an even better Gathering 2008!
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Michael, it was great meeting you.

Thanks for being a great security guy!

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Michael,

Give Dennis a great big hug for me! As I said to him, an army marches on its stomach, and he helped all of us go far! What fabulous catering.

And Franco is the poster boy for determination. If that were a Tarot card in the Major Arcana, it would have his picture!

See you next year!

Yours,

Paul
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Hey Michael--thanks for all the help. It was great to meetcha'. Looking forward to doing it all again next year.

~Stephon

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Oh, I added a portion to my blog about The Ever Popular Olde City Sideshow.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
Quote:
On 2007-11-05 14:24, Doug Higley wrote:
Weird thought: If I croak this year, Brett will have a new strange exhibit at next year's Gathering. The plan is for Gwyd to permanently preserve me and give me to Fyre for her Birthday. ( Smile )
D

Hurray!! I've always wanted one of those!! Can we add puppet strings to your stuffed body, as well? Then, I can have a dancing Doug!

I know I'm a bit behind in posts, like usual...

Oh, and Stephen, don't worry, you weren't the only performer I thought was hot, just your transformation made it more contrasting. I'll keep my hands to myself, I swear. Smile
I just like to openly appreciate the beauty in life. And speaking of beauty... I completely understand what Doc Wilson was saying about Sally. She definitely leaves you entranced.

It was a great experience, and I met so many wonderful and talented people.

Can't wait to do it again.
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
mabjustmab
View Profile
New user
D.C. (kind of like Direct Current)
13 Posts

Profile of mabjustmab
Quote:
On 2007-11-18 00:04, Sylver Fyre wrote:
Oh, and Stephen, don't worry, you weren't the only performer I thought was hot...

Yeah, Steph, she wouldn't keep her hands off me... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Another Year, Another Gathering. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL