The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo - Where next (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oscarp
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of oscarp
Hi all.

I'm new to coin magic and I've been working my way through Bobo for the last two years. I've mastered (pretty much) everything in there.

Can anyone recommend a good next step?

O
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
What are some of your favorite tricks in Bobo's? What kind of coin magic do you enjoy seeing?

This will help others to recommend the right thing.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Sounds strange, but...you say you're new to coin magic but have been working your way through Bobo for 2 years? I don't get it.

You also say you've "mastered (pretty much) everything in there?" I don't get that part either.

David Roth, one of THE best coin workers of all time would never have the b**ls to say that. You're never that good.

If you are new to coin magic and have gotten through Bobo, go back and start again! You've obviously missed something.

Mark.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Going to:
http://www.coinvanish.com/
and it's 'Foundations' link may be of help.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Wow, wish I could say I have mastered everything in Bobo's..... Jaz is right though, a nice place to go from there would be Dan Watkins' site.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Get any video of Curtis Kam and/or the New York Coin Seminar guys (both the seminar videos or the videos put out by individual members of the group) You will find enough intermediate to advanced material there to occupy you for decades.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
My site may help but, I have not mastered everything in Bobo's.
Click to visit:
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I think that if you have mastered everything in Bobo's - TRULY mastered - then you are indeed a Master.

I would suggest rereading Bobo's along with Kaufman's COINMAGIC and David Roth's EXPERT COIN MAGIC.

If you are up to it, Reed McClintock has some stuff that will bust yer knuckles.

Best,

Vlad
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I forgot to mention the work of Dr. Michael Rubenstein and the legendary Sol Stone.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome to the Café oscarp...Smile Hey, a master of Bobo's in just 2years huh...I've read that book pretty much all my life and can't make that claim. Smile There's so much stuff in that book, that leads you to so many other places that I find it hard to think anyone ever masters it. First of all I doubt if anyone ever likes doing all of what's in there, also some stuff is much more difficult than other stuff, etc. Mastering it is sorta like mastering the Bible. A lot of folks think they have but from the way things are in the world, I don't think so. Smile Anyway, there's still a lot to learn in all this. I actually learn new things quite regularly, better understandings of things I thought I knew, etc. Just keep learning this stuff as the road never seems to end. I really like that part of it the most. Smile Again, Welcome. -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
....Well if you want to APPLY some of the stuff you have learned in Bobos, Doug Brewer's Unexpected Visitor would be a good book to pick up, you will need a [E, and some other fun stuff for a few routines but you will still be able tone your palms with some of his material

Spades
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'd say that if you've mastered Bobo's your next step might be the lecture circuit or producing your own DVD! Smile
Just yankin your chain as I'm sure by now you regret using the term "Mastered" in your text.
After I had gone through Bobo once and started working through it the 2nd time and realizing how little I knew and how much I had missed I did buy the David Roth ECM 1,2 and 3 DVD's as well as his book just to freshen things up a bit. I do continue to use Bobo's as a constant ref. but truly doubt I could ever master it all in this life time!
Good luck on your quest!
Mick
oscarp
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of oscarp
By mastered I only meant that I can do (pretty much, as I said) everything within the book.

Clearly I would need to spend a lifetime to truly "master" everything in the context you mean.
I thought you would understand that I was using the word in the loosest sense because I described myself (with I thought appropriate reverence to the skill required to be an adequate coin magician) as new to coin magic having only been doing it for 2 years.

As I am completely new to this forum and this was only my second post., I can only assume one of two things:

a) "Magicians helping magicians" actually means a bunch of holier than thou pedants waving their 'wands' in the air going - Ohh my wands bigger than yours and you know so little and I know so much. How dare you suggest that you have mastered something fool! - Even though I'd have to be pretty stupid to think you *actually* meant you had 'mastered' it despite that linguistic convention being perfectly understood in other walks of life" In which case you should be ashamed of yourselves and get a life in that order.

or....

b) You all have an interesting sense of humour here and I'll need time to grasp it.

Lets hope it's the latter and thanks for the warm welcome.

O
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
I think if you look at my response, below your initial one, you'll see that I was trying to help. If you answer the questions, I asked, we can better help you.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
O,
Sorry about your second post that leads this thread. It was a doozie.

You'll generally find that the theme about magic in the Café amongst those who treat magic as an art is to not settle for quantity but to pursue quality. Knowing quantity of magic is knowing lots of tricks that fool. Working towards quality of magic is knowing a few sets that engage and create real and memorable experiences of magic.

So under this theme, a good next step is to master Bobo's in the strictest sense of the word "master."

At that point, you'll be able to do real magic with coins.

For additional study in the pursuit of mastery, I agree with Vlad and highly recommend Kaufman's COINMAGIC and David Roth's EXPERT COIN MAGIC. Aside from the wealth of useful info, they're beautiful books.
ppuna
View Profile
New user
Thunder Bay Canada
19 Posts

Profile of ppuna
Coin magic, as with all of closeup, requires an attention to detail. The better the performer, the greater degree of that trait. And since magic is more than just the physical moves, don't you think that attention to detail would also extend to the spoken word? We have some truly remarkable performers in this group who take their art and craft VERY seriously, so don't hold it against them if they take you to task for using the term "master" in such a casual manner. Instead, think of their responses as a valuable lesson regarding the learning of magic. Dan said he hasn't mastered ANYTHING in Bobo! And THAT attitude is why his magic is so superb...he has never shut the door to trying to improve any particular trick (can I use that word?). Using the term "mastered" stops the process. It's at that point that the truly serious magicians overtake you.

And as far as suggesting even the POSSIBILITY that these people might have a holier than thou attitude, look at the help they offered in response to your question! No, this is a family of generous, serious individuals who I think you should THANK, not attack in any way.

But if you feel the need to criticize, I suggest you first look into the mirror.

Sorry for the rant. Now I'll put the soap box away and go look up the meaning of "pedant"

Peter
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Back up, there, O Thin Skinned One. I saw three types of responses to your question:
1. A request for more information so that they could help guide you better
2. Genuine advice on where you can go next
3. Good natured ribbing on your unfortunate use of the word "mastered." (Your clues would have been the smilies....)

None of those would seem to justify your negative attitude. Maybe it was just a bad day - we all have them. Take a deep breath, relax, and take the excellent advice that was offered to you.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'm still trying to figure out how his initial comments could be taken any way other than exactly what he said?

New to coin magic but has worked on, and mastered, Bobo's work for 2 years? I still don't get it. Mastered? 2 Years? New to coin magic? Forget mastered. New to coin magic but been doing it, successfully, for 2 years?

Now...I'm even more baffled that Oscar gets offended when asked about his comments? Hmmm...I don't know about people trying to be holier than thou at all. Just trying to make sense out of what he actually claimed.

Hang around a while longer. You'll get to know people on the Café and will appreciate the suggestions and advice freely given. I know I do.

Good luck. Mark.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I think maybe we should all start over, start fresh and try again. I don't think anyone meant any harm Oscarp. It just kind of throws you back in your seat when you make a statement like mastering Bobo's in 2 years, no matter how you cut it. I am sure most of us here were just having some fun with that statement, but I know you can get very much help from most anyone here just for the asking. I know I have many times and its still ongoing. I would just suggest being a bit more specific in asking your questions and you will do fine. Actually I thought Chad's questions right in the very beginning were very good.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Oscarp,

You will find that the magicians on this forum are very helpful indeed. As a matter of fact, letting you know that it is highly unlikely that anyone has "Mastered" MCM in two years is part of that help.

Wouldn't it be cruel to let someone think he has mastered something he has not?
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo - Where next (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL