The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Two Routines to share... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
My dear Magi,

I performed these two routines for the first time at a church luncheon this past weekend. They went over well, so I’d thought I’d share them. If you like, please feel free to use them.

For the first one I use a Change Cap but a classic top hat or change bag will do nicely. Smile

Six Card Change Cap Routine

Invite spectator to help you with a card trick. Explain that you’re nervous and new to doing card tricks. (If you’re a newbie like me. ) so you’re only going to do a trick with six cards. Count cards in hand. Drop three cards. Explain that it’s all right, because you still have six cards. Ask spectator to place dropped cards into your hat for safekeeping. Do the regular three cards drop. Comment that this is just like the loaves and the fishes, and that you may never have to buy another deck of cards again. Do another three-card drop, this time producing cards with different colored backs. Say, “It’s just like a rainbow, isn’t it? I’m glad there wasn’t a flood first!” Keep producing different colored cards. Say, “This reminds me of the Transfiguration!” All along, ask the spectator to keep putting the cards in your cap. Pretend to be tired of the whole thing, and thank the spectator, asking for your cap back. Ask spectator “Are you sure you put the cards in my cap?” They say yes. Say, “Of course I believe you, this reminds me of the Resurrection. Do you know why?” They say no. You say, “Because the tomb is empty!” And show empty cap.

These are the chocolate coins I used for the next routine.

http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Kennedy-......00QGG1M4

Refiner’s Fire Coin Routine

I start out with a copper silver routine. For patter, I talk about the origins of the phrase “All that glitters is not gold”(see below), as I challenge the spectator to keep track of the copper and silver coins. After the spectator examines the coins at the end of the copper and silver phase, I point out that we can become what we love and that Jesus does not want us to become obsessed with our possessions. We could become as hard as this coin. When this happens, we need the fire of God to burn away our hardness and purify us. Placing a half dollar in the spectator’s hand, I perform “Silver Extraction.” Using the clear coin as an example of purity before God and the drop of silver as our sin and our obsessions burned away, I explain that once we are purified we are open to all the graces and blessings that God wants us to have. When we are in this purified state, we are truly open to Christ’s love which, compared to all the wealth in world, is the sweetest possession of all. I than spellbound change the clear coin into a chocolate coin and give it to the spectator.

All that glitters is not gold

Meaning

A showy article may not necessarily be valuable.

Origin

The 12th century French theologian Alain de Lille wrote "Do not hold everything gold that shines like gold".

Shakespeare and others have expressed the same notion. In 1553, we have Thomas Becon, in The relikes of Rome:

"All is not golde that glistereth."
Shakespeare is the best-known user of the idea. The original Shakespeare editions of The Merchant of Venice, 1596, have the line as 'all that glisters is not gold'. 'Glister' is now usually replaced by the more commonly used 'glitter', which has the same meaning:

MOROCCO:
O hell! what have we here?
A carrion Death, within whose empty eye
There is a written scroll! I'll read the writing.
All that glitters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told:
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold:
Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
Had you been as wise as bold,
Young in limbs, in judgment old,
Your answer had not been inscroll'd:
Fare you well; your suit is cold.
Cold, indeed; and labour lost:
Then, farewell, heat, and welcome, frost!
Portia, adieu. I have too grieved a heart
To take a tedious leave: thus losers part.

God bless,

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Two Routines to share... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL