The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » So why Do people hate Criss Angel anyway? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 14:41, joshlondon17 wrote:
Jim did his thing and Criss did not like it and he challenged him on it.

I do not think Criss did not like what Jim did. I think some how Criss found out the comments the Café mentions about him. So Criss had it planned all the time for Jim.
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA - Portland, OR
137 Posts

Profile of Vanian
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 13:10, Slim King wrote:
That's the first time I've seen that one. I can't believe he threatened to have put Callahan in the Hospital..So classy! And he's already convicted Copperfield...Geez?
But now he sees himself as THE KING...Now something must be done about that.

Sad thing is that these same folks want interviews with Jim but it's not happening. IMHO

Ok, let's not take things out of context, he was actually defending Copperfield a bit. When asked what he thinks of Copperfield's very public troubles he first admitted that Copperfield is not a big Criss Angel Mindfreak fan, then his words were "I think they're making him guilty, and the sad thing is, he hasn't even been charged." And when asked about Copperfield as a magician, he said "as a Magician? It's good to be king" obviously referring to Copperfield but also implying some sarcasm it seemed.

As for his Callahan comment, yes, that was a straight up threat and not cool (even the reporter seemed shocked by that.)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 15:27, joshlondon17 wrote:
Energizer, no worries. I, too would like to tell everyone I didn't like here what I thought about them, but then I remember, is it really a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Not really! Every single day I see people dealing with issues a lot bigger than we have going on here. Real issues like life and death. This right here is just a luxury.

Maybe that's the whole problem I have with this. Here's someone (Jim) who says he can talk to the dead. Everyone here and out there know's you can't, but ok, it's entertainment. However, Jim does not explain it to be entertainment on the show. It only comes up during the YouTube videos and such.

Josh London

Josh, you are mistaken. He says that it was entertainment in the interview with the host directly following the performance, before Uri gave his comments.
In fact, there is a video posted in another thread with Criss doing bending and he gives an almost identical disclaimer.

As I stated 2 postings ago, Jim Callahan was the only one on the show to give a disclaimer that night. But he was the only one that was challenged.

BUT since the show is about mental/psychic "entertainment" just being on the show is a disclaimer, so why should he even have to give one? It is there by proxy.

Tony
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
I thought about this today, and really, I don't hate Criss Angel. Not at all.

Metaphorically, Derren Brown is Pink Floyd and Criss Angel is Poison. I look at Pink Floyd as an intelligent, creative, thought-provoking band. Poison is a more men in tights, **** rock holding on to whichever trend to keep them in the public eye. Sure, they sold a lot of records but they'll never be considered legendary.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Ha ha. Nice analogy.

One thing I like about Jerry Sadowitz is that he named a couple of his tricks after Pink Floyd songs Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here.

Mind you, I'm a big fan of Poison.

Classic lyrics - Hearts of fire, streets of stone, modern warriors ... saddled on horses of chrome! I think of that whenever I ride my push bike to work. Ha ha.

So ... what band would best represent David Blaine?
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 16:07, Energizer wrote:
Ha ha. Nice analogy.

So ... what band would best represent David Blaine?

A Seattle Grunge Band from the 90's???

I liken Criss Angel more to Milli-Vanilli [sp]...
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Very funny.
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
After viewing all the vids...watching the body language...listening to the hypocracy and the ignorance and seeing as to how it is all one sided without any feedback from Jim to put CA on the spot...I have come to my conclusion as to why he did this this way. There is no other reason. CA feels threatened. In his only way to communicate that, in his manner of baby talk, he lashes out, not realizing that Jim's (imposed) silence allows him an aura of strength...and affords Angel further status of a low class insignificant.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
David Blaine is one of those bands that has a great couple of records but then goes on to make a bunch of albums that nobody cares about.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Brainchild - What like ... Guns N Roses perhaps?

Doug - I think we can agree that Criss could do with some serious therapy. Mind you, if you look at the link that silvertongue posted, Jim gets to have a bit of a say towards the end of the clip.

God I wish I was in America tonight to watch episode 3. Lament for us Europeans!
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 04:57, Dynamike wrote:
In general the answer is jealously with most magicians.

I am not the least bit jealous of Criss Angel or any Magician or Mentalist that meets with great success. I think it's wonderful for the Art.

I was a big fan of Criss and his show and defended him time and time again...However, that was a while back. As I have watched him develop I have become very disapponted in him. Not necessarily in his magic but rather in his attitude. The more I get to "Know" him thru his TV appearances the more disappointed I am.... the way he handled himself as he did on Phenomenon with Jim and Uri, to me, speaks volumes as to what he's really about. I have lost respect I guess... the excitment for me, is over.

Bk
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Between Criss and Blaine, my problem is when I fist saw them on TV they were touted as street magicians. HOWEVER They did street magic that is so above that style it is no longer street magic.
Angel walks up a wall.. can we buy that and use any building? No it is staged far ahead of time.
Blaine steals a watch hat appears in a shop window that he sticks his arm through...really? A trick ANY street performer can do at ANY time? No.
Blaine also films hundreds of performances of the same trick and picks the best reactions to show. Don't even get me on his levitation
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Well to keep an old thread going I think Blaines latest TV special was really good, from memory I think I could do all but one of the effects and it remined me of his early stuff like the shows you are refering to - they are what got(back) me into magic, most peeps in the UK have heard of Blaine - I couldn't say the same with confidence for Criss Angel.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Criss's personna grates on me personally.

Hate would be far too strong a word.

I prefer Blaine any day of the week.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
When visiting Las Vegas, I always ask the taxi driver for the best and worst acts on the strip. I never mention I'm a magician.

2011 he stated best were Penn & Teller, Terry Fator and Mac King.

Worst was Chris Angel's Believe. (voted worst act three years running!!)
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3367 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 16:15, dusty wrote:
When visiting Las Vegas, I always ask the taxi driver for the best and worst acts on the strip. I never mention I'm a magician.

2011 he stated best were Penn & Teller, Terry Fator and Mac King.

Worst was Chris Angel's Believe. (voted worst act three years running!!)

Yes, one of our top managers took his family there a few months ago. He didn't know my interest in magic either. That's exactly what he said. Was raving about Vegas and the shows. Only bad one was a magic show. Yep, Angel. Said it was P** poor to be exact. They left before the end, and that was with two young teenage kids.
MentalMidget
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of MentalMidget
Beyond the obvious complaints about the techniques Criss uses, his persona and production style make me feel like I'm watching Jersey Shore.

What surprises *me* is that Banachek is on his show now. Banachek was one of my main sources when I first started studying mentalism so I had a lot of respect for him -- those warm feelings took a little bit of a hit when I first saw him on the show.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9835 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 20:15, MentalMidget wrote:
his persona and production style make me feel like I'm watching Jersey Shore.

So I guess that makes Angel the Snookie of magic?
MentalMidget
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of MentalMidget
Haha, I think that would be a fair nickname.
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
Criss Angel is such a success in the mainstream media world and have got tons of fans because he is doing something different. He created his own personality and magic approach in general.

There are many successful magician in mainstream line because of the fundemental principle that they doing something different. People like Lu Chen, and CA is a great tv hit.

Blaine was special when he first started and much later his style is easy to adopt therefore many tom dick and Harry magician adopted that style. Which many magician and laymen after Blaine's show thinks that anyone with a pack of cards and jeans can do magic.

To be honest, I don't hate CA however I do not agree to his style of approach of magic. But I respect his success.
Regards,
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » So why Do people hate Criss Angel anyway? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL