The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bullet Catch Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The recent thread on the bullet catch got me thinking about "modern" presentations of this effect. Generally, the spectator signs a bullet, it gets loaded in a gun, and the spectator fires it at the magician, only to have the magician catch the bullet in his mouth. The marked bullet supposedly proves it is the same one that was previously chosen.

My question or concern lies in the logic of signing a bullet. Now, I'm no gun expert but a bullet seems to be comprised of 2 parts: the projectile and the casing. The casing is usually dislodged from the gun as the projectile moves toward the target. But it's the casing that is signed.

So, in a bullet catch, shouldn't the marked casing be found on the floor by the spectator?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It was performed like that with Penn and Teller.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I believe the bullet was often marked by scratching it or some such. Or you could do it like Carl Skeenes and actually catch the bullet.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
la9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of la9
Just wondering if a dozen or so people have died doing this trick or is it a myth to build the suspense.

I found the other thread and see it is all true......
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Twin Falls, ID
578 Posts

Profile of Kex
Penn and Teller's routining of the Bullet Catch was great. Both the projectile and casing were marked. Both were also verified. I'm sure I've seen it on youtube.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I had the honor of loading Penn's pistol 11 years ago for the double bullet catch.
I put my initials on the bullet and a smiley face on the shell. I took what appeared to be my signed bullet out of Teller's mouth.
I still have the shell and bullet. It is a very clever illusion. Like Penn has stated, "we are crazy, but we are not stupid". Any one that knows anything about guns and the nature of bullets, and has a knowledge of magic, can figure out their method. It is extremely safe.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
Quote:
On 2007-11-09 08:01, la9 wrote:
Just wondering if a dozen or so people have died doing this trick or is it a myth to build the suspense.

I found the other thread and see it is all true......

Very true!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-11-05 23:35, magicman845 wrote:
T[...] Now, I'm no gun expert but a bullet seems to be comprised of 2 parts: the projectile and the casing. The casing is usually dislodged from the gun as the projectile moves toward the target. But it's the casing that is signed.

So, in a bullet catch, shouldn't the marked casing be found on the floor by the spectator?

Kent

Someone who is a gun expert would explain to you that the shell (casing) from an expended bullet is only ejected from a gun if that gun is a semi-automatic (or fully automatic). This type of gun is rarely used for the bullet catch effect; Penn and Teller (for example) use revolvers. The casings from revolver rounds remain in the cylinder until they can be manually ejected by the user.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bullet Catch Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL