The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Performing Metal Bend at Magic Castle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
This is a excerpt from my Parlor Routine at the Magic Castle. I was performing my own handling of Liquid Metal as my closer.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseactio......21524279
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Great performance, George.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
Thanks for sharing. Good work.
Keith Brown
Entertainer, Speaker and Author
"Exceeding YOUR Entertaiment Expectations"
www.keithbrownentertainment.com

"Making Magical Memories~Teaching Biblical Truth"
www.keithbrown.org
shane
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of shane
I assume you are posting this because you are looking for honest opinions? If not please stop reading now.

I have never seen metal bending look more like a magic trick. It seems to be very cause and effect. As in look away, look away, oh wow its bent.

The subtelty that makes metal bending powerful is not some much "look now it bent" as it is "watch it bend" I would recommend you study some of the masters like Uri, Banachek, Alain, and Osterlind and see how they approach this effect. When you are waving the fork around wildly you only seem to be hiding a bend that was already there. I would also think about involving the audience more in the effect instead of having only one bend felt.
You say something about concentration and it all just seemed to easy for you I never once thought you were concentrating on the fork.
Let the audience understand and see the process that is what makes mentalism different from magic.

A magician say think of a card? The four of clubs right?

A mentalist says think of a card? Relax, visualize the card. Imagine that it is being projected onto a screen in you mind, I want you to really see and feel its presence. Now relax, take a deep breathe and see the card slowly leaving your mind allow it to drift away as you feel your body relax the thought slipping away. He approached you gently places his hand on your shoulder looks you straight in the eyes and after a long uncomfortable pause says the four of clubs, yes?

Which one do people remember and talk about?

This was in no way an attack on you. Only an attempt to help.

Shane
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I hate to disagree with Shane. (I hate to disagree with anyone.)
But I will.
I have been having cutlery mysteriously bending in my presence for almost 40 years. I have even had spikes and large nails bend while they were near to me. So, even if I have been doing it all wrong, I still have a modicum of personal reference material.
Currently, the only things that bend while in my presence are paperclips.
There are many ways to perform.
George, I think that you have found a method and a character that fit you very well, indeed.
I am always amused at "how" people say that psychic phenomena "should" look like.
Spoons and forks seldom bend without "something" occurring.
One of my favorite magicians always "twitched" her nose to make magic happen.
I have watched performances by some of the greatest magicians and mentalists in the world. And what makes them great is that they are not like everyone else.
Uri used to make spoons bend from miles and miles away. Kreskin does straight magic. Both have made a lot of money performing and both are completely different.
You had a nice routine with good audience response.
George, I think that people will remember and talk about you.

Shane, this is in no way an attack on you.
I just disagree.

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
This was the closer to a 25 minute mental magic routine. My character, at first, concentrates to make things happen. As the routine progresses, the unexplainable events become much easier. I strive to involve as many people as I can in my act so they all come away with something to remember.

I think I involved no less than 4 or 5 people in that effect. (You may not notice, but I also used Electric Touch in there too). For two or three of the bends, I was implying that the spectator was sending the energy, I was merely helping.

I received a lot of positive feedback from the audience afterwards. Thank you all, I very much appreciate your feedback and I will work harder to polish my character and routine.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I thought it was great George. I would have loved to see your presentation of the triple prediction. Is it anywhere on youtube?
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Quote:
On 2007-11-08 12:39, Loopback wrote:
I thought it was great George. I would have loved to see your presentation of the triple prediction. Is it anywhere on youtube?

Triple prediction, ala Mental Epic is forthcoming; along with a few other parts from the routine. (I am still learning the video-editing software).
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
Nice Suit.
P3
practice practice perform.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
And performance
P3
practice practice perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Performing Metal Bend at Magic Castle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL