The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What's the Greatest Self-Working Card Trick? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
....a stalwart of my repertoire!!!
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6803 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I know, Harry , but I'm a bit of à stickler in that regard. It appears in the collection, but it is "from" My Favourite Card Tricks. Obviously I don't have to tell you that, ha ha. I've said before how special your books are to me and I just like them to be properly referenced. À tribute to them if you Will.

Fish
antonio123
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
138 Posts

Profile of antonio123
Sympathy Cards by Paul Vigil
InfinityDream
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of InfinityDream
For me the best selfworking effect is:

BEYOND ACAAN by Tommaso Guglielmi.

In this version you have to ask to think of a card and a number and the card is at correct position without any sleight or gimmick.

No sleight of hand and no skill.

-Antonio
Steve James
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Steve James
At the moment my favourite is "Eye of Stonehenge" by Lennart Green,with the pyramid presentation.
DustinFelton
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of DustinFelton
Another vote for Dead Reckoning
Hedberg
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Hedberg
I really like Devastation by Geoff Williams
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Another vote for Devastation!
:)

rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
mkkprodigynet
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of mkkprodigynet
Williams just did a lecture in Indianapolis and I saw Devastation for the first time. This is got to be one of the easiest tricks to work that I have ever performed. I did this for some co-workers the next day and they were blown away.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10669 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I vote for the PROTON Deck from Camirand Academy.

All the magic happens in the specs hands. Great use of an old idea with some new twists...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
leechiswell
View Profile
Regular user
England
108 Posts

Profile of leechiswell
I would have to say (not neccessarily in any order)

Untouched. Can't believe more people haven't voted for this! So easy to do and very strong. The hands off nature can really be played up for impact. Totally imprompty as well, even stronger with a borrowed deck.

Timely departure. Really strong effect and surprising ending. Impromptu!

Neither blind nor silly. Great presentation options and totally baffling to audience.

Total coincidence. Amazingly strong if presented properly!

Up the ante.

Dead reckoning.

4-5-6 packet trick. Devastation sounds similar to this but not impromptu. This is, and really awesome too!
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of entermagic
If you like the ACAAN effect the best selfworking effect is Random ACAAN.

MP
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2876 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
What else.... Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Razamabaz
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Razamabaz
My favourite self worker is on Mathew J Bowden's DVD 1 deck 14 tricks 24 hours Volume one. Although there are some great self workers on this DVD the one that stands out is RIPPED. The Spectator selects any 5 cards from the Deck and rips the cards in half so you are left with 10 halves. The half cards are mixed and dealt into two piles of 5. The Spectator then chooses any pile of five and the Magician spells WILL and for each letter he puts one card to the bottom of the pile. The spectator can tell the Magician to change to the other pile of half cards at any time during the spelling of the word. At the end of the spelling of WILL the top two half cards from the two piles are placed aside. The same is done for each word of the phrase WILL THE CARDS MATCH. No matter how many times the spectator tells the magician to change piles throughout the spelling of each word in the phrase the half cards will match at the end. The great thing here is that any card or cards can be signed before they are torn. It gets fantastic reactions.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2009-12-08 10:05, MagicWGH wrote:
Gotta go with Al Koran's Lazy Man's Card trick. A real killer and fool's a lot of magician's as well!

What I like about this effect is you can modify and really do some amazing things with this. Highly recommended
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
@Razamabaz: Yes, this is a great effect. The problem is, in many of the routines he explains, he has given an entirely new name to the effect without any variation on the original and does not give credit to the originator either.

The effect you described above is actually called "Will the Cards Match" by Larry Becker and published in Apocalypse magazine. I'm pretty sure from the sound of it that Dowden does NOT have permission to release this or change the name of it either.

This is not the "information" age, but rather, the "dis-information" age.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 13:14, J.Warrens wrote:
@Razamabaz: Yes, this is a great effect. The problem is, in many of the routines he explains, he has given an entirely new name to the effect without any variation on the original and does not give credit to the originator either.

The effect you described above is actually called "Will the Cards Match" by Larry Becker and published in Apocalypse magazine. I'm pretty sure from the sound of it that Dowden does NOT have permission to release this or change the name of it either.

This is not the "information" age, but rather, the "dis-information" age.

Or as Bill McKibben called it in his landmark work, “The Age of Missing Information”
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
@panlives: Nice quote.

I guess I'll throw my faves into the mix here.

Prior Commitment - Simon Aronson

Shuffle-Bored - Simon Aronson

and finally, probably the greatest of all self-workers: Miraskill - Stewart James
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
I'll never forgot the card effect which everyone remembers me for. No matter how many new effects I perform for friends and family, they always want to see the effect "Pick by Touch" which I learned while a beginner from the book "Magic for Dummies". This effect is completely self-working and has always stunned everyone I perform it for. It was created by Chicago Magician Matt Schulien back in the 1940's.
Matt
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
There are undoubtedly some excellent self-workers. One of my all-time favourites though, and one that I'm sure hasn't been mentioned, is 'Quick As a Wink' by Reinhard Muller.

I've been performing a version of it for almost 20 years (and audiences love it and find it unfathomable).
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What's the Greatest Self-Working Card Trick? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL