The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Time for Callahan to Speak Up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Unless the cigar is actually an ITR reel

Or a remote control

Or peek device

etc
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 13:00, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
..and as Freud said, Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

We only say that when we are holding a Cuban. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 13:00, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
..and as Freud said, Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I'm afraid Freud died never having met John Rogers. Smile

http://www.woodencigars.com/
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Cigar: A Marital Aid for the likes of horney Ex Presidents.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 03:12, arnon wrote:
Here's an enhanced photo of the envelopes Criss Angel held up:

Outstanding, thanks, now I know what is inside.

PS: Love those nails Christopher. Smile

H.O.A.X.
MagicMan11
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMan11
Funny how this show effected the magic comunity greatly. I've seen many post about this and Jim. Is it necessary to write thousands of posts about almost the same topic? Idk I'm just wondering why so many people talk about this so much.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Perhaps you'd like to start a new thread with something more worthwhile to discuss, MagicMan11. Many here would welcome the diversion, I'm sure.

- entity
MagicMan11
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMan11
Well, I did ask a question if you look. I think figuring out why people are so interested in this would be worthwhile, for I want to know too.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 21:43, MagicMan11 wrote:
Well, I did ask a question if you look. I think figuring out why people are so interested in this would be worthwhile, for I want to know too.

I'm interested because I auditioned for the show. As painful as it is to watch - I sit through each slow episode.

I am hoping that this show, with all of its flaws, will get the general public interested in magic more. Then the working professionals can astonish them live and in person...
MagicMan11
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMan11
Thank you for your response. But to be honest I feel that this show makes magicians look bad becuase the effects some people do just don't seem to amaze people. I have asked many people what they think about the show and most of them say that it isn't that good and that it bores them. I am started to feel embarrased when I perform, lol well ok maybe not taht bad but you get the point. Just my own opinion and response to your post DerZauberer.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
"I'm just wondering why so many people talk about this so much."

I think because the events lend themselves to everyone having an opinion, one side of the fence or the other, and everyone gets to suppose, explain, hypothesize and pontificate to their heart's content. Been a couple of years since this type of thing has really happened on the Café.

Sort of reminds me of a roisterous family get-together.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 08:59, freefallillusion1 wrote:
Jim- you also claim that Criss makes a mockery of Christianity and that bothers you. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Jim, read your bible. I don't know what translation you are reading from, but my bible says that what you claim to do is wrong beyond wrong.
Phil

Probably better be careful on this one Phil cause your a tiny bit weak in your facts.
And really, no offense at all, just pointing some things out.
Jesus transfigured and was witnessed in the direct company of two spirits of dead prophets. He never forbid anyone from speaking with the dead. He encouraged the raising of the dead, which also requires speaking with the dead first. Numerous times he read the minds of others with witnesses present. He said to his followers: all of these things you will do and greater. Those are in every translation.

The prohibition is in using a dark person or dark means to perform the contact. Witch of Endor, etc.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
One thing I am confident with - When I perform for a live audience, I do get the expected reactions of astonishment as I believe the Phenomenon contestants do as well when they are performing in more appropriate venues.

I think the Phenomenon venue is the problem. There is no time to connect with the audience, there are clearly last minute changes to rehearsed routines and Crissy's comments belittle the performers.

I for one am not embarrassed at all when I perform. I am rather proud. When people say, “You should be on that TV show.” Or “You’re way better than Criss Angel.” I smile and humbly thank them for their compliments.

Back on Topic - I hope Jim gets Criss to sweat a little with the envelope challange.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 13:57, KingStardog wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 08:59, freefallillusion1 wrote:
Jim- you also claim that Criss makes a mockery of Christianity and that bothers you. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Jim, read your bible. I don't know what translation you are reading from, but my bible says that what you claim to do is wrong beyond wrong.
Phil

Probably better be careful on this one Phil cause your a tiny bit weak in your facts.
And really, no offense at all, just pointing some things out.
Jesus transfigured and was witnessed in the direct company of two spirits of dead prophets. He never forbid anyone from speaking with the dead. He encouraged the raising of the dead, which also requires speaking with the dead first. Numerous times he read the minds of others with witnesses present. He said to his followers: all of these things you will do and greater. Those are in every translation.

The prohibition is in using a dark person or dark means to perform the contact. Witch of Endor, etc.

At the outset, let me announce that I am Jewish, and not Christian (though Jesus was a Jew Smile).

The International Fellowship of Christian Magicians has the following on its website:

Quote:
Ministry by means of "Deception"?
Another objection is that it is not right for the Christian to use trickery in presenting the truth. No matter how you slice it, magic involves deceit (illusion). Of course some "Gospel magicians" try to get around this objection by never actually saying their hand is empty when it isn't, but they say, "my hand looks empty." This skirts the issue, since the intent is for the audience to believe that the hand was empty (or that the bunny materialized from thin air, or that the red scarf actually turned white, etc.) The deceit was there, regardless of whether the performer told a lie with his words or with his actions.

Here we must deal with the nature of truth. At any given time, a presentation of truth only represents a portion of reality. I carry a photograph of my wife that everyone claims is a very candid likeness, yet it deceives in certain ways. For one thing, my wife is not black and white and gray; for another, she is more than two inches tall and is not flat. But the image abstracted by this photograph captures her expression and personality very honestly. It is an honest--though partial--representation of the truth. The issue is whether the Gospel magician conveys the impression that he is doing supernatural things, or whether he honestly acknowledges its trickery.

After all is said and done, most people acknowledge that magical entertainers do not actually have supernatural powers. If the total presentation is an accurate representation of Biblical truth, the audience will be impressed with the message, and not dazzled by the possibility of humans doing superhuman feats." (emphasis added)
http://www.fcm.org/should_a_christian_do_magic.php

That's from a Christian organization of magicians, FWIW.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
That is very good information arnon. And yes he did say twice it was entertainment, so it was covered well.

More so if one intended to get into Gospel Magic, I think they should have to read and own a copy of Greater Gospel Magic. Its a wealth of solid, common sense information to do the best job possible in that venue. With Christmas coming up I would recommend it for gift giving if you know a Gospel magician that does not have a copy.

And no I'm not pitching or affiliated with the author in any way. Never met him.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 19:41, MagicMan11 wrote:
Funny how this show effected the magic comunity greatly. I've seen many post about this and Jim. Is it necessary to write thousands of posts about almost the same topic? Idk I'm just wondering why so many people talk about this so much.

I cant help but see the irony in this statement when looking at your join date of 2 days ago coupled with your 70 something posts.

makes me chuckle
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
A lot of new people have joined thanks to Phenom - is this is a good or bad thing? Only time will tell. Kent Brockman, signing off.

Hail our insect task masters!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I think that mentioning the sigals on TV would polarize the public. Knowing what they are and do and reversing the energy within them is enough.

It's enough to know Criss Angel was scared ****less that Jim may be in touch with the other side that he would stoop to black magic to hedge a bet is enough to believe in his upcoming defeat.

Not only an Idealogical Bigot in words, his actions show he doesn't have a clue as to reality himself. No white slips of paper will not work, once the viewer has that potential reality in his thoughts.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
T minus 14 hrs............Are You Ready?
DMG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DMG
Quote:
He said to his followers: all of these things you will do and greater. Those are in every translation.

It also says they'll move mountains and such just by a word - don't see that much though.

Quote:

Divination, sorcery and "observing times" (something about noting lucky and unlucky days) are prohibited against. I feel safe in saying Jim doesn't do sorcery or observing times, eh? so as long as he stays away from the divinations he's in the clear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Time for Callahan to Speak Up? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL