The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Time for Callahan to Speak Up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 19:28, Jim-Callahan wrote:
That is not what I wrote Micheal.

I never said I was a real medium.

A Paranormalist yes a medium no.

Jim

How about magician?
Shouldn't the word magician be used????
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 19:55, Spinnato wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 19:28, Jim-Callahan wrote:
That is not what I wrote Micheal.

I never said I was a real medium.

A Paranormalist yes a medium no.

Jim

How about magician?
Shouldn't the word magician be used????

If he used the word magician, then he would be admitting that it was a trick and could be exposed. If you read what he has said, you'll see that he claims he can't be exposed because there is no trick to it.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 18:28, Spinnato wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 16:21, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Here is a link to my site were I have posted my responses to some questions from an NBC writter.

http://www.jimclass.com/Phenomenon%20Answers.htm

Jim

WOW. After all that support shown to you by some Café members and you can't even post a reply in this forum?? Instead, you lead them to a link to your website?? I think a more personal response to all the Café members who stuck by you would have been more appropriate and deserving rather than just a link!! Just my opinion.

I know for a fact that Jim has not been well since returning home. He worked a long time on the response. A link to the Café is just as good as a cut and paste. I'm glad Jim is feeling a little better.
I think the above complaint was rather petty.
I can't wait for CA's reaction. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
The word magician or mentalist exposes itself.

Its a logical contradiction of terms to be a mentalist but to call yourself a mentalist
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think that Mentalist will soon be synonymous with Mental Magician....A new term must now be used to represent what we do.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Michael...Many of us do numerous performances that might mystify and puzzle and create questions that do NOT have a TRICK involved. There is no trick necessary...no gimmick...there IS a METHOD to accomplish these things without contact with dead folks or spirits...and if you don't know, I'm not telling.

If you are a performer you should know this. By the way what is a Trick? Do you mean deception? Fancy move? Misdirection? Rubber band? TT? Qualify.

Also: SHOULD the word Magician be used? Who the hell SHOULD tell an artist performer what they SHOULD call themselves to position the act amidst all the others?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Performers of mental and psychic mysteries usually preface their demonstrations with a statement to the effect that they make no claims to possession of supernatural powers, and that the presentation is solely for the entertainment and amusement those present, who may draw their own conclusions as to the means or methods by which it is accomplished. However, the performer proceeds to do his act as though it were a genuine example of unusual powers: - which, in fact, it is! If presented as mere tricks, the act would not command anywhere near the same interest and spellbound attention – if indeed, it didn’t fall flat.
- Harlan Tarbell, The Tarbell Course in Magic, Volume IV.
- Robert Cassidy, Fundamentals, page 5
Hmmmm
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 20:14, Doug Higley wrote:
Michael...Many of us do numerous performances that might mystify and puzzle and create questions that do NOT have a TRICK involved. There is no trick necessary...no gimmick...there IS a METHOD to accomplish these things without contact with dead folks or spirits...and if you don't know, I'm not telling.

If you are a performer you should know this. By the way what is a Trick? Do you mean deception? Fancy move? Misdirection? Rubber band? TT? Qualify.

Also: SHOULD the word Magician be used? Who the hell SHOULD tell an artist performer what they SHOULD call themselves to position the act amidst all the others?

By trick I mean a secret method that does not involve contacting spirits like Jim claims. By trick I mean something that can be exposed. I don't know how much more clear it can be. Jim says there is nothing to expose. He is saying that his method is that he contacts spirits and the spirit communicates through him.

The effect he did on TV would either have to be accomplished by communicating with the dead or by some trick(as I believe). I know there are things we do that don't really involve a trick or gimmick. What he did would not fall into that category or are you saying that there is a way (not involving real spirit communication) that would not require a secret method? Well, that just can't be so, because the method would have to involve him secretly finding out(there's that trick or method I'm talking about) what was in the box without the help of a spirit. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-12 20:16, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Performers of mental and psychic mysteries usually preface their demonstrations with a statement to the effect that they make no claims to possession of supernatural powers, and that the presentation is solely for the entertainment and amusement those present, who may draw their own conclusions as to the means or methods by which it is accomplished. However, the performer proceeds to do his act as though it were a genuine example of unusual powers: - which, in fact, it is! If presented as mere tricks, the act would not command anywhere near the same interest and spellbound attention – if indeed, it didn’t fall flat.
- Harlan Tarbell, The Tarbell Course in Magic, Volume IV.
- Robert Cassidy, Fundamentals, page 5
Hmmmm

Micheal, do you have either book cited in the post above?
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I have neither book, but it really doesn't matter. What you quoted is merely an opinion just like everything I've posted. It would be different if Jim had a clear disclaimer, but he doesn't. As a matter of fact it seems very clear that he claims to really communicate with the dead even outside his performance. There are many performers who are successful even though they don't make that claim.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 20:49, Micheal Leath wrote:
I have neither book, but it really doesn't matter. What you quoted is merely an opinion just like everything I've posted. It would be different if Jim had a clear disclaimer, but he doesn't. As a matter of fact it seems very clear that he claims to really communicate with the dead even outside his performance. There are many performers who are successful even though they don't make that claim.

That pretty much sums up my opinion as well.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Perhaps you guys would like to listen to a little Al Mann? He would set you straight Smile
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Micheal-aren't the card trick and puppet forums calling your name? They miss you...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Quote:

Micheal, the opinions above are from two of the most studied thinkers and creators in the mystery entertainment field. Many other share it, many of the biggest names in the field have followed it to some extent. Current names that just pop into my head that you might have heard of are Kreskin and Blaine.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but likewise, Jim is entitled to his.

Tony
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 20:55, Slim King wrote:
Perhaps you guys would like to listen to a little Al Mann? He would set you straight Smile

Would love to, but he would still be stating an opinion. Nobody has to agree with it just like nobody has to agree with mine. I just don't like it when people say that Jim doesn't claim to really communicate (as in 2 way communication) with the dead and it is very clear that is what he is claiming. Call me stupid, but if that is not what he is claiming then would someone please show me how this is not what he is claiming?
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 21:00, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Micheal, the opinions above are from two of the most studied thinkers and creators in the mystery entertainment field. Many other share it, many of the biggest names in the field have followed it to some extent. Current names that just pop into my head that you might have heard of are Kreskin and Blaine.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but likewise, Jim is entitled to his.

Tony

Yes, Jim is entitled to an opinion, but how does this have to do with his opinion? Wouldn't he know what is really going on during his performance? Wouldn't he know if a spirit was really communicating through him?

I must be dumb, because it seems to me what Jim's supporters say contradicts what he himself says.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 21:00, tian_ci wrote:
Micheal-aren't the card trick and puppet forums calling your name? They miss you...

Nope. Sorry for voicing an opinion. I didn't know I had to be a supporter of Jim's to voice my thoughts. When I voice my opinion, I try to do it in a civil manner without throwing out insults. I can't say the same about some others.
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 21:00, tian_ci wrote:

Well, at least the smartass spelt "puppet" correctly.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11788 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
It would be different if Jim had a clear disclaimer, but he doesn't. As a matter of fact it seems very clear that he claims to really communicate with the dead even outside his performance. There are many performers who are successful even though they don't make that claim.

I think Jim has a clear disclaimer. This is posted on his site:

"I am asking those who read this site to remember I am an entertainer, artist & researcher.

Please do not get carried away when viewing and interacting with my work. It is to be an entertaining, surreal diversion.

I am not a psychic nor a medium. I am a Paranormalist.
You are in control of what you believe and do with your life.
Just as I am.
Have fun and enjoy yourselves........Jim "

I've always read this as a disclaimer.

John Cesta
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
What would he define a Paranormalist as?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Time for Callahan to Speak Up? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL