The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Time for Callahan to Speak Up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
And if I happen to paint a picture depicting religiouse salvation should it contain a dissclaimer?

If I make a movie should it also contain one?

What if I truly think communication with another reality is possible.
Should I not use my thoughts to create art?

Is only one side valid?

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I think the ideological (hee hee) problem here - or rather a philisophical one is if you are an objectivist or subjectivist.

Objectivists love simple clear "truths"

Subjectives stick more with Oscar W's quote "The pure and simple truth is never pure and rarely simple"

I myself am a reflectionist and surrealist.

Some might be pizza-ists.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 09:27, lvwag801 wrote:
Hello Tony. I tried to use my regular log in (yes, I'm ProfWag from other boards), but for some reason my registration was lost and I wasn't able to register with that. Hence, I had to sign up with a different one.
With that said, I see your personality hasn't changed with your condescending comments. Thanks for showing us your true colors.

My colors are red white and blue, with a little bit of grey thrown in. As for condesending, look at your comments and statments. You give the public little to no credit of intelligence.

Tony
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 09:43, lvwag801 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 09:33, Dr Spektor wrote:

Hey lvwag801 - all those whacked shows on Discovery, TLC etc. that go into "mysteries" etc. are also promoting people to go be "exploited?"

Oh and saying someone is being guided by outside forces while experiencing OOTW is usually TRUE. Think about it.

I've written to those networks as well, but their advertisers pay so the shows will play.
You're right about the OOTW comment, though it's just another play on words like saying what Jim Callahan does is "real." Everything magicians say and do is so...magical...

Kudos on writing the shows. At least you tried!

The last comment is sometimes true - magic often is about words and framing - heck, the ancients make that connections with the concept of Words of Power and that finding out a Secret Name allows power over that subejct...no, not saying "real" magic exists - but the power to influence, cognitively distort, misdirect, and shape subjective reality can often come from words. A large literature on neurolingusitics has grown - a lot of hit it rubbish - but within the morras is some actual data that so far seems to bear out some evidence that there is something to it.

Don't condemn all magicians because most may be lousy...

"Choose a card!" (Removes spritzer bottle (nod to Doug))
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 09:46, Jim-Callahan wrote:
And if I happen to paint a picture depicting religiouse salvation should it contain a dissclaimer?

Is only one side valid?

Jim

If you make a giant chocolate statue of Raymond... that would be cool!

If you make a film called the Passion of Galloway... please let me know when it premieres!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
You're right about the OOTW comment, though it's just another play on words like saying what Jim Callahan does is "real." Everything magicians say and do is so...magical...

In case you have not realized, this is a forum for those involved in magic or the associated arts. If you have contempt for it, as your final comment seems to reflect, then perhaps you should post some place else.

Tony Iacoviello
ProfWag
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
301 Posts

Profile of ProfWag
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 09:46, Jim-Callahan wrote:

Is only one side valid?

Jim

I tend to agree that disclaimers across the board are getting out of hand. See, I'm not so one-sided after all...
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I am very specific about what I do and were it is performed.

I work entertainment venues.

However Angel mocks the Christian religion (As well as other beliefe systems)
and I do have a problem with that.

It is quite distressing that many don't understand the basic premise of his yapping
There is no supernatural or paranormal rhetoric.
And then doing a walking on water effect.

What does that say to the viewer?

Do you think it is an appropriate embedded message?

I understand his fellows think it is quite a clever way to gain converts and I readily agree that it is.

But is it ethical?

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
ProfWag
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
301 Posts

Profile of ProfWag
Quote:

In case you have not realized, this is a forum for those involved in magic or the associated arts. If you have contempt for it, as your final comment seems to reflect, then perhaps you should post some place else.

Tony Iacoviello
[/quote]
I apologize if my comment came across in the wrong manner. I truthfully have great respect for the art of magic and as I've said, I only began visiting these sites recently while looking to get back into the hobby. It appears, however, that based on the opinions expressed here that mine is not only different, but not welcome. You all win and I will post in other threads that support the art rather than the con.
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
Is this not an art of deceit?

The "con" is the art.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 09:33, Dr Spektor wrote:

Hey lvwag801 - all those whacked shows on Discovery, TLC etc. that go into "mysteries" etc. are also promoting people to go be "exploited?"

Oh and saying someone is being guided by outside forces while experiencing OOTW is usually TRUE. Think about it.

I've written to those networks as well, but their advertisers pay so the shows will play.

Well, what have you done about CA's ads for the Psychic Hot Line...You need to stop Criss from pointing everyone there on the NBC website and Psychic ads.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
I wonder if Raymond's family were consulted over use of his image/identity?

Jim maybe Criss didn't expose you but he sure made you look a fool on national TV(more than what you managed yourself-an author who can't spell!!).
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I believe that Jim has said that Raymond has no surviving family.

- entity
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
In that case shouldn't be know all of them?
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
From what I understand Raymond himself used to conduct Seances when he was alive, and even wrote books about that sort of things.

Jim is giving him a nice tribute. Smile
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-11-13 07:56, Jim-Callahan wrote:
I wrote the truth.

Should I lie to make you feel that your world vuiw is correct Harry?

So Jim, you say there is no method to expose. Are you saying that you didn't somehow secretly find out what was in the box? If you did secretly find out the contents, then that would be a method. Maybe it can't be exposed because nobody was able to figure it out, but that doesn't mean there is no method to expose.

Are you saying that Raymond really communicated through you to reveal the contents of the box? If so, then why give a disclaimer? Wouldn't you only give a disclaimer if you really were not doing what you appeared to do(as in let Raymond communicate through you)?

It seems to me and many others that you are making two contradicting claims. Are we misunderstanding what you are trying to say? Don't take anything I say as an attack. I'm just trying to understand your position.
Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
Once again this thread is asking the question:

"When is lying okay?"

Jim - you even ask "Is only one side valid?"

YES! The side of truth is inherently valid, and lies are by their very nature INvalid.

My point here is, if you have to stop and think about it (and discuss it a million times over on the Café)...it's probably not a good thing to do.

No matter what name you give to lying (entertainment, staying in character, etc.) and no matter whether you THINK it hurts others or not, lying is lying and liers are doing a disservice to the truth and to the reality that we live in.

To me, it's one of the most egregious mistakes to believe that we can live a life of lies and NOT hurt others.

Jim's actions should not be passed off as "no big deal". Beyond that, it is reprehensible to call him a hero because of actions on Phenomenon.
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I give a disclaimer to keep the exhibition in the proper context.

There is no doubt to anyone in the theater that evening that Raymond Hill and I were connected at that point in time on live TV.
(Some people were on the verge of tears.)

My entertainment 'disclaimer' is a way to spur conversation and not outright acceptance of the performance.

Jim
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Tim et al:

First off, who said he was lying.
Secondly, did you ever hear of theater?

It is strange to read all this garbage being put forward in a forum dedicated to a theatrical art. It is clear that some here do not know anything about theater.

BTW, outside of the topic of the thread, but you asked when is it OK to lie: The entire art of magic is predicated on deception. Very little is ever a it appears or is said to be, not realizing this justifies the uninformed posts that have been flooding these threads recently.

If you do not agree with misrepresenting as a means to entertainment, this may be the wrong forum for you to visit.

Yes, sorry, but this is annoying!

Tony
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Tim,

You perceive my actions based upon your reality.

So you tell me what is the truth of your reality at it pertains to this topic?

And please offer proof becouse without proof it can not be considered the truth.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Time for Callahan to Speak Up? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL