The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Thank you to all who attended! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Dear Editor,

In response to your article in last week's edition of The Clarke County Democrat, it is with great sadness that I must inform you that the cow did not make it; nor did the other cow that was struck by Darren Deas, son of Warren Deas-owner of both cows. Since your article appeared in last week's paper, I have received several phone calls regarding the incident. Some of the callers simply ask "Where's the beef?", and then hang up. Others ask "How did you fail to see a cow in the road?" To clear up some of the confusion, I would like to explain how the incident occurred.

I had been preparing for the Washington County trial docket in my Chatom office for most of the day with my Assistant D.A., J.R. Morgan. We had made arrangements to meet a witness in Silas after the witness got off work that evening. We were returning from Silas to J.R.'s office in Jackson when the mishap occurred in Salipta. As we met Darren Deas, who was traveling northbound on Highway 69, both Darren and I dimmed our headlights (it was dark). Darren struck one of the cows, and skidded off the roadway. Although I did not realize what caused Darren to wreck, I did recognize that he was skidding off the road. For that reason, I began braking and, fortunately, had slowed to about 35 m.p.h. when I saw the yellow ear tag on one of the several dark brown cows in front of my vehicle. I braked hard but was not able to avoid hitting two of the cows. From an optimistic point of view, I managed to miss four of the six cows that remained in the road after Darren had already hit one, which I contend demonstrates my excellent driving abilities.

As I am sure you are aware, no matter how well a fence is constructed, cows can sometimes get out. Apparently, a pack of dogs had caused the herd to break through a cypress-board fence. Darren was searching for the cows when he hit one. Let me reiterate. Darren was searching for the cows and ran over one. I had no idea the cows were out, and only managed to hit two.

After the collision, I immediately called dispatch from my police radio and advised them of the accident. At that time on Friday evenings, Highway 69 is busy with people returning home from work and traveling to football games. Although I have made light of the incident in this letter, the situation was serious in that other motorists, some of whom were traveling faster than I had been traveling could have been injured or killed by colliding with one of the remaining cows. Within minutes of calling dispatch, members of the Salipta Volunteer Fire Department were on scene to make sure no one was injured or trapped in a vehicle, to assist with traffic control and to drive the remaining cattle from the roadway.

I hope you will print something in next week's paper expressing my gratitude to these firefighters who assisted on the scene of this accident, as well as my sincere appreciation to all volunteer firefighters for the services they provide to our community. These men and women sacrifice their personal time, and in some instances, risk their lives to perform a necessary service to communities all across our county. Until I was elected District Attorney, I assumed that volunteer firefighters simply fought fires. I have come to realize that their services extend far beyond fighting fires. In many instances they are the first responders, especially in the remote areas of the county. We are fortunate to live in an area where so many people are willing to perform such a valuable service on a voluntary basis.

I should also thank Trooper Caleb Deas, Deputy Steve Carlisle, Deputy Mark Leon and Reserve Deputy Scott "Smitty" Smith for their prompt response and for transporting myself and J.R. to our respective homes. It was my first, and hopefully, my last ride in the backseat of a police car.

As for the state-provided vehicle, it was not totaled. Dale's Body Shop has informed me that it should be ready prior to the cook-out that Darren Deas has promised.

Spence Walker District Attorney
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Seth Ramkrishna Dalmia is Mr. Big No. 3 of Indian Big Business.* He owns six newspapers, an airline, a big insurance company, a bank and most of India's cement factories. He also has four wives. Last month Businessman Dalmia, a Hindu, summoned the press to pink lemonade, vanilla ice cream and green gage plums on the lawn of his big house in New Delhi. Then he read a 2,500-word statement. "I ask that people treat the cow and look after it as well as they look after their mother."† Soon thereafter, his six newspapers began referring to Dalmia as president of the "Cow Protection League." They designated Aug. 10 as "Cow Day."

Last week Dalmia contributed a new wrinkle to India's liberation problems. "I have arrived," said he, "at the conclusion that unless within a year of the liberation of India cow slaughter is prohibited by law, I shall stake all I have, I will pool all my resources and energies that I command, I shall be prepared to starve to death. I shall not hesitate to lay down my life for this most sacred cause."

Rich Hindus sometimes seek to insure a happy reincarnation by endowing pinjarapoles—hostels for aging and infirm cows. But it seemed unlikely that Hindu India would outlaw cow slaughter. Mohandas Gandhi, a cow protector from way back, explained somewhat cattily: "India is a land not only of Hindus but of Moslems, Sikhs, Parsees, Christians and Jews. If cow slaughter can be prohibited in India on religious grounds, why can't Pakistan then prohibit [Hindu] idol worship in Pakistan on similar grounds?"

* No. 1, J. R. D. Tata (steel); No. 2, Ghan-shyamdas Birle (cotton and sugar).

† Cows are sacred to Hindus, who do not eat beef. Orthodox Hindus will not even wear leather shoes. Cow killing is prohibited in most princely states. It is not prohibited by British law.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Too much cow news, cow overload!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
It's verging on cow-dependency.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
In the two examples given we can clearly see that the values attributed to the Bovine species have been in constant flux since the dawn of civilisation (the New York Times).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Thank you to all who attended! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL