The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Romantic magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hi,
I am thinking adopting a romantic persona. I will be doing my magic close up mostly for women. Is there any material that can help my presentation?

Thanks
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Check out Tony Binarelli's Latin Lover Opener. It is a variation of Chicago Opener, in which a kiss mark of your girl appears on her selection. It is explained in "Playmagic."

Also worth checking is Edward Marlo's "Female." In this effect, a girl chooses a card on which she find her own name written! And all the other cards in the deck have male's names on their backs! It is explained in "Card Magic of Edward Marlo."
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Thanks for the suggestion.
But I was actually looking for some books that can help my romantic presentation and character.
However, thanks.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
If you plan on doing romantic close up mostly for women, I might suggest a book called the art of self defense. Smile

I have certain effects that are geared towards women. While the women understand the meaning of the effect, any men around (husbands, boyfriends, drunk guys, etc...) may see it as you are making a play for them. Unless it is a lady who is clearly by herself, you must involve the man she is with.

As for sources for developing your romantic character, I am going to share with you an old secret of mine: Smile read women's magazines.

Because articles in these publications are from a female perspective, you can get a good general idea of what is desired & what is not.

I think because you have the desire to do this kind of romantic persona, you must have part of that in you. I don't think you have to look too far beyond yourself. I think it is just a matter of finding out what works.

I hope this helps Smile

Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
What about David Copperfield's effect where he switches the women's underwear or for an all female audience you can do this with two men?
Just a idea.
Of course you would need romantic music in the backround, for example, music from Gone With The Wind.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Winston Smith
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Winston Smith
To be honest:

You're going to probably end up looking like your stereotypical slime ball magician who was picked on in junior school, has no friends and can't get a date.

I'd stay clear of this 'persona' myself.

-- ws
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Ichazod,

Good points on the Art of Self Defense and checking out women's magazines. I knew my collection of Playboy, Hustler, etc. would come in handy. Thanks for the idea. Now I know how to get a tax deduction (business related expenses for educational improvement).

Just kidding--my wife decided on this issue about 31 years ago (grin).

Q: Are you a man or a mouse?
A: I must be a man, my wife's afraid of mice.

Later,

Turk

(somewhere in outer space)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Check out some of Boris Wild's stuff.
Also stuff with roses, paper fold to rose, ring on rose, etc.

Paul.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
In terms of persona, Ichazod is right on the mark. It's hard to be entertaining when half your audience sees you as a threat.

On the movie screen, there's enough distance to keep most male audience members from feeling threatened; the chances of any guy's date running off with Mel Gibson or Tom Cruise after seeing him in a movie is highly unlikely. But in a close-up environment, that distance doesn't exist. So be careful.

There is a way to turn this around: instead of being a romantic object yourself who flirts with the ladies and could make people uncomfortable, consider being a romantic expediter (aka Cupid), Use magic to uncover the romance in the lives of the people for whom you perform.

On the other hand, if you're performing exclusively for female audiences, then go ahead and be Rudolph Valentino or his modern Malaysian equivalent. But keep it respectful (speaking as a man who grew up with four sisters and a steady diet of Vogue, Glamour, Mademoiselle, Seventeen, Family Circle, Redbook...). Good luck!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
illusionmaster
View Profile
New user
Boulder, Colorado
31 Posts

Profile of illusionmaster
Read women's magazines?! Is nothing sacred or exclusive for just us girls anymore!? Smile

Seriously though, do be sure that this "persona" fits you and your physical attributes or you will appear cheesy and slimy to the very people you are trying to entertain.

Jes
Smile

P.S. Roses are a good idea! Take a look at some of the effects and work that is already available and expand upon or create some of your own material! Great stuff for us chick types! Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2003-02-27 17:16, illusionmaster wrote:
Read women's magazines?! Is nothing sacred or exclusive for just us girls anymore!? Smile

Smile Ladies still have many sacred things that I would not dream to try out Smile

Smile

Necromancer hit it on the nose, Keep it respectful & it will be a wonderful experience as opposed to seeming like a pick up.

Smile
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Thanks for the advice.

I think a cupid-type persona would be better. Are there any suggestions on how to develop this persona?

Thanks.
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
I'm sorry. But I had to laugh at the thought of TRYING to become romantic. It has so many definitions to so many different people. I have seen so many of my students, once they get into magic, believe that they could, with this new 'power,' get the girls. Are such people only fooling themselves? I'm curious how many women in Copperfield's audience are actually walking away enamored with the guy. Rudy Coby did a spoof of Copperfield a few years back and it was hilarious.

Be who you really are. You'll be much more convincing and sincere.

Take care,
Craig
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
There are several effects that lend themselves to a "romantic" theme. Whenever I perform them, I use the woman AND her significant other in the effect. That way she is impressed and gets "warm fuzzies" and her significant other (as they are involved) see themselves having a great evening and thanks you for helping him out.

And if you're performing, you should never hit on a person while performing. You're job is performing...if you want to hit on somebody, find another time/place.

As to a "cupid" persona... I think adult "Depends" would work to start. Smile

Seriously, I think you should sit down and write out the attributes of cupid as you see him. Then see if your personality will fit.

That's a start.

Steven
Coram Deo
Pocket_Picker04
View Profile
New user
Florida
9 Posts

Profile of Pocket_Picker04
Ahh I too have often wondered if there was a way to use magic in a sort of Don Juan persona but every time I tried it turned into a Don Juan spoof (which worked well too). I find the route of a cupid character also to be a difficult one to play. My advice is to play a match game I go like this, "Who here is single? Everyone with their hands down leave." Smile
if i show you a card trick will you really miss your wallet?
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
If you need a book to help develop your Romantic Character, then I'd say forget it. It has to be 100% you...and you'd have be so comfortable, so confident and so used to it, that the audience simply couldn't resist you. Any hesitation and you'll end up a slimeball, in there eyes at the least. Very dangerous audience, in a situation like this, they'll love you if you pull it off, but they will be very willing to claw your eyes out, if you're not careful.

And Gone with the Wind? Please, fellows, what you need is a litlle Antonio Carlos Jobim. Brazillian Jazz. Imagine you're in Rio in the sultry air....

Actually, I take that back. Like the romantic character, the music needs to be YOU. So pick something that is YOU.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Illusionmaster writes: ". . . or you will appear cheesy and slimy to the very people you are trying to entertain."

Gee, that sounds exactly like many, many magicians I know! LOL!
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
If your female friends would describe you as romantic then be yourself. If they wouldn't then it's unlikely you're going to be able to pull it off no matter what you do.

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
MISTER E
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MISTER E
The romantic persona... Very dangerous territory, my friend. First of all, you're looking for advice on romance from a bunch of mostly male magicians. Bad start. Miss Illusionmaster was kind enough to throw in a couple of pointers. Listen to her. She would know. You'll note that she mentioned "physical attributes." Pay particular attention to that and everything that a lady would advise.

If you want advice on romance, go to those who really know... the ladies. I grew up with 4 sisters and a mom, and I'm happily married to a woman so intelligent AND so stunning that her smile melts rocks. Now, about the only thing that I CAN tell you is DO NOT aim at being romantic. If you do, you'll miss the target. Instead, be sincere. To the women in my life, there is nothing more romantic than genuine sincerity. Start with that and every effect that follows can be romantic.

So go get together with all of your lady friends. They'll tell you everything you need to know... what to wear, what to say, what kind of cologne to use, what kind of effects work, etc. Don't go looking in books, either; go straight to the source.

-E
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Off Topic: (kind of)

Illusionmaster: Do you have an 18 x 22 of that icon??

:)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Romantic magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL