The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Unphenomenal Chicks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2073 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 19:23, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Leave the poor girl alone, she is young and being led by the producers of the show.

Tony

Hey Tony- Sure you meant to say, "led" by the producers?

(You're right. The strike is getting to me.)
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 19:15, czero wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 18:39, Mark Raven wrote:
Okay, just to play devil's advocate, and then run and hide. . . why must she give up her sexuality/sensuality in order to be taken seriously? Come on!

Here's a hypothetical for you, Mark. Imagine one of the contestants was a male who was a dead ringer for a young Brad Pitt. Suppose he came out dressed in a skintight tanktop and giggled incessantly while performing an over-the-counter effect.

Would you take him seriously?

--Mike

No, of course not. But that's not what I'm talking about.
What would Wavy do?
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 15:41, Slim King wrote:
Just did a Blues Brothers gig with the entire Washington Redskins Cheerleaders in their bras and panties....otherwise I'd say something Smile

Dang Slim, when you told you that on the phone, my first thought was "Boy did I go into the wrong field with web design!" Web designers hardly ever see the Redskins cheerleaders in a semi-nude state.

*Working on my Elwood Blues harmonica skills*

Darryl
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 19:51, Mark Raven wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, just to play devil's advocate, and then run and hide. . . why must she give up her sexuality/sensuality in order to be taken seriously? Come on!

Here's a hypothetical for you, Mark. Imagine one of the contestants was a male who was a dead ringer for a young Brad Pitt. Suppose he came out dressed in a skintight tanktop and giggled incessantly while performing an over-the-counter effect.

--Mike

It's not? Please elaborate.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 11:20, Sidney wrote:

Had she only had some integrity and tried to sell the act in a coprorate type of attire (proper suit) instead of resorting to the cheesy sex appeal thing, she might have been taken half seriously.

Honey if your reading this your way out of you're league and please don't inspire little girls to lift their dresses up to their _ _ _ _ for ratings.

Get a pants suit and learn some presentation skills not posing skills will ya, and then you'll be competeing on equal ground !

But do you have the talent to pull that off ?

Sid

I was responding Sidney's orignal post, not you. It has nothing to do with Brad PItt. If you didn't like her presentation, fine, but tearing her a new one for the way she dressed is ridiculous. As for questioning her talent, when I see you on national television, we'll talk. You'll have to forgive me, but it sounds like sour grapes. Granted, I haven't see you or Sidney perform. Given the show, and the format, "Ms. F", as Sydney refered to her, did fine, a hell of a lot better than most (NOTE: I did not say all, I said most).
What would Wavy do?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Too bad she can't partner up. She'd be good in a spirit cabinet routine.

Slim King, you do Jake Blues in Orlando? I think I know you but not as Slim King.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Partner up?

That defeats the whole purpose. She is making her way as a stand alone female performer...sure she has work to do, but she is way more polished than probably anybody else here at the age of 20.

Don't get me wrong, her looks should not give her a free pass. But that aside, she has huge potential and she's already started to utilize her skill at a VERY young age.

It should be pointed out that not only is she the only female contestant, she is also BY FAR the youngest.

D.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:

I agree - performers use charm, charisma, sex appeal etc. - anything to engage the audience and make the experience great - so long as its within the realms of accepted boundaries (which shifts from time to time) of society, I suppose.

Perhaps the issue is her sexuality components is way more obvious than her magical / mentalism components - which the show is about...

However, as I always note on shows like Survivor, Big Brother, etc. who ever wins at the end deserves to win... i.e. it doesn't mean anything in regards to the validity of being the best mentalist, magician, brightest etc... but based on the format, rules, etc. of the context of the show - whoever wins wins.

I warned everyone that AF should not be taken lightly and she would likely be in the final two - because she has a variety of elements working in her favour for what this show was supposed to be about and what it ended up being.

I can see her being a guest on Mindfreak.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
LOL this thread reminds me of what "Triumph the Insult Dog" said to the "unofficial Wizard of NYC" He said to him, "Have you ever talked to a woman where you didn't have to give her your credit card number?"

It's threads like this where I am ASHAMED to be a part of this Fraternity, and I do mean, FRATERNITY.

To my men in magic who are above all this, I am not talking about you Smile You know who you are.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 19:51, Mark Raven wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

--Mike

Are you sure? Depending on the presentation of the over the counter effect - maybe we would. And the actual parallel is not giggling - which may fit with the sterotype female angle... with the macho male it would be a hearty laugh.

e.g. Brad Pitt clone does Burning Angels effects of Jay Sankey... with a hot blonde... and does a bunch of sexual inneundo...

In fact, they may have brought in more female viewers - I got a feeling the only female viewers (well, 99% of them) are the partners and spouses of goons such as us Smile

As Tony said, AF actually is a performer. Next don't judge someone harshly if they look like Brad Pitt Smile... its like ***ing all goths because Criss dresses like one.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 20:32, Don Theo III wrote:
Partner up?

That defeats the whole purpose. She is making her way as a stand alone female performer...sure she has work to do, but she is way more polished than probably anybody else here at the age of 20.

Don't get me wrong, her looks should not give her a free pass. But that aside, she has huge potential and she's already started to utilize her skill at a VERY young age.

It should be pointed out that not only is she the only female contestant, she is also BY FAR the youngest.

D.

Well, if she partnered up - it should be with her as the boss and she has a sidekick she can throw into tanks of water or saw in half Smile - she is wearing the famous "These Boots were Made for Walking"
human
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of human
To be honest, I'm bored watching her.

Even with her sex appeal.

Man she needs to improve a lots.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I honestly think she appeared very tentative. Not 100% gung ho or sure of herself. All of the contestants seem a little "Clumsy" if that's the correct word. The patter is not so smooth and the blocking is sometimes WAY OFF...IE Callahan and the other contestant both walked the wrong way at the ending. I know about the time constraints and everything else, but it just doesn't seem that together in production.
To me at this point it's just folks doing Mental Magic on TV.
I also met Merritess, and she seemed more centered and relaxed. I'd have put her on the show too.
Pushing sexuality is just too obvious to me. Will people buy that?
Wish they had a crazy HooDoo swamper to vote for Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Slim

Maybe you have to change your name to Dog the Magic Hunter...

:bunny:
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I might end up in a Mexican prison Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
True, you do live in Orlando now.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
With magic, I'm sure she is a wonderful performer. I've seen from her myspace that she can be talented at sleight of hand. But with mentalism, to me, her performance falls completely flat.

None of her routines seem well prepared, let alone rehearsed. Each time she has performed there was way too much dead space. (Fill this space with more critiques)

I honestly don't think she would have been selected if she didn't look and dress the way she does. I've yet to see her be professional. When bad things happen to the other performers, they handle it better than how she handles a good moment.

As far as my comment about reading some books on feminism, it's because her actions and words don't match up. If they did, her performances would be more polished.

And to point it out myself, I need more experience before I take on a paid performance. Being on a live TV show is completely out of the question. And with that statement, you can either assume that I am an armchair mentalist or that I want to make sure I'm ready to do this art and my audience justice.

I'm not jealous, and even with my complaints, I wish her well.

/paul.f
psychic madman
View Profile
New user
formerly Allentown, PA, now Upstate NY
19 Posts

Profile of psychic madman
You guys have Angela all wrong. She is the complete opposite of how she is coming across on television. She's a sweet, polite, and innocent young lady who really loves magic and totally respects and admires all of YOU.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17496 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I believe you! I'm sure we all do...it's just the way she is being presented...right?
psychic madman
View Profile
New user
formerly Allentown, PA, now Upstate NY
19 Posts

Profile of psychic madman
It's TV, she's playing a role.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Unphenomenal Chicks (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL