The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Unphenomenal Chicks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13146 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Now that was a V8 moment!
FocusYourMAYND
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of FocusYourMAYND
I think she's very talented and has a great future - at 20 I sure couldn't have done as well as she has! I do agree she seems more "magic" than anything else.

I don't really think Phenomenon really gives us a very good view of any of the performers. I think many of us have seen most of the contestants before, and none of them have come across nearly as well as they do in their own shows.

Jonathan
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Someday, political correctness will be gone. But we continue to be saddled with it for now and have to pay homage to those who raise the issue.

AF did a great job on the show in terms of style and composure. If she made magic sexy, that's great. It gave spectators yet another reason to enjoy watching her. Copperfield - and others - have added sex to magic to make it more interesting to watch. Female performers don't have to make sure they look like Betty Friedan so that they will futher someone else's feminist agenda. Let's have fun and make things as watchable as possible.

Gianni
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Don, a spirit cabinet plays big with audiences. When done on TV in the past that is what was talked about....hard to do if you don't have someone tossing you the jacket.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Angela is a member of my local IBM ring (The Blackstone Ring #23). Although I've only talked to her once (about a year ago), I came away very impressed. She is a very intelligent, personable, and talented young lady. From what I can tell, she's just being herself.

So far she's made it farther than any of the rest of us who are regulars around the Café but would have won if we would have only auditioned!

I wish her the best and I believe she has a great shot at being the winner.

Maybe we should all take a break and go read "Showmanship For Magicians."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
So far she's made it farther than any of the rest of us who are regulars around the Café but would have won if we would have only auditioned!

Speaking in code huh?
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
This topic reeks of jealousy... especially the opening post. Quite rediculous to say she inspired you to be a pole dancer. WalMart has confidence on sale this week! Not all mentalists need to wear a pants suit...I could have smoked a pound of marijuana and lost less brain cells than I did after reading that comment. All this coming from a bartender..ironic.

First of all, not once has she used her sexuality or any femanine ways to bump her talent up. In fact, Uri is the perv who seems to bring up how sexy she is after each effect. He is clearly focused on one thing. There is no law against being pretty and charming. Nice to see a woman with true talent without having to rely on implants and low cut dresses. Angel on the other hand...lol!

She is beautiful and could use that, but I personally think she has handled herself with class and stayed clear of all sexual overatures.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think she has been nothing but a lady. She is cute and uses it but would be a fool of she didn't....she can't help but use it. Her presentations have come off like she had not done them before, but considering how bad overall the show is she is at least being interesting. Some day I'll actually run into someone who saw it and I'll ask what they thought.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5769 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I don't see it as a PC thing at all. I just see the choice as being contradictory to the innocence, charm, and modesty which seemed genuine in previous details of her performance.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Sexuality sells...I'm reading thier minds I tell you!
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3800651/1/219358720/Large

Or are they reading mine...????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 07:29, Slim King wrote:
Sexuality sells...I'm reading thier minds I tell you!
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3800651/1/219358720/Large

Or are they reading mine...????

Slim,

Looks like you are having fun too!

On the serious side - I don't think anyone on this thread has said that sex does NOT sell... Like it or not, that's the way it is.

But, I think people here are debating if Miss Funovitz is using her woman's inborn skills rather than her "mentalistic" skills...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm... I wonder if someone kept using a blend of comedy versus just pure mentalist (whatever that is) we'd tarr and feather him or her... mentalism - whatever that is... can combine comedy, sex, terror, mental aspects, etc.... only a fool wouldn't use their talents to create the most impactful presentation for entertainment possible. AF is using hers well.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Hmmm.... I did not think the first poster denied what you are saying, Bruce.

Of course I may be wrong and she will clarify.

I have my strong ideas on Angela as a Mentalist but I won't tell you. Smile

It's too much fun to follow this debate, albeit it will end up in nothing...

In the end, some people will still think that she was horrible and some people will still think that she was good.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2244 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 08:43, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
It's too much fun to follow this debate, albeit it will end up in nothing...

In the end, some people will still think that she was horrible and some people will still think that she was good.

Agreed...sex sells and if she was entertaining in the least ( I keep missing the show and TiVo is down) people will want to see more;)
Pay it forward
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I think she should use her inborn skills, she is trying to win a reality show not win a popularity contest for mentalists & magicians. I would be willing to wager that her costume selection is chosen by the network & not herself. Personally I think she is doing a competitive job as no one's performance on this program has been exactly stellar.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I think you some of guys are being pretty harsh.

I'm primarily a close up worker, but I also have a stand up show in which I mix in a little mind reading effects...thus is why I visit this section from time to time.

I saw videos of Angela on the net maybe about a year ago performing close up magic and thought she had great chops and a fun personality. Here is a video of her performing some card manipulation:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=00yi2kJDjOk

To me this shows how talented she is and her dedication to the art of magic. I can perform a few card manips but no where near this caliber. This takes work.

I know what your thinking (pun intended),what does this have to do with mentalism or Phenomenon? I don't know this, but its possible she is now focusing on this genre. After all, she convinced the producers of the show to have her on Phenomenon, and I'm sure the fact that she is a girl is not the only reason.

It happens all the time...think Gary Kurtz. This guy has awesome skill in sleight of hand but does not use it in a magical context any longer.

If there is any criticism at all, its that if she is doing a serious type mental routine, the giggling during the presentation sort of trivializes the effect in my opinion. Of course this has do to with the celebrity assistants always trying to slip in wise cracks during the performances. This has happened to a lot of the performers on the show.

The bottom line is, I've been performing for about 12 years as a part time pro. I feel I'm pretty good at what I do. I rehearse, script all my routines, listen to criticism from other magicians, or the audience to improve my routines etc. But I don't ever think I'll reach the level that Angela has thus far in her career...and she is just 20 years old!

I also think that all performers should use every positive attribute, including sex appeal, to entertain the audience. I'm sure the producers of the show are pushing the sex thing a bit more than normal.

I can easily admit I wish I was in Angela's position. I would bet she would embarrass most of the guys on the Café if they would perform side by side.

Rich B.
Sidney
View Profile
New user
85 Zombie Kills and their heads hung on
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 02:08, videokideo wrote:
This topic reeks of jealousy... especially the opening post. Quite rediculous to say she inspired you to be a pole dancer. WalMart has confidence on sale this week! Not all mentalists need to wear a pants suit...I could have smoked a pound of marijuana and lost less brain cells than I did after reading that comment. All this coming from a bartender..ironic.

First of all, not once has she used her sexuality or any femanine ways to bump her talent up. In fact, Uri is the perv who seems to bring up how sexy she is after each effect. He is clearly focused on one thing. There is no law against being pretty and charming. Nice to see a woman with true talent without having to rely on implants and low cut dresses. Angel on the other hand...lol!

She is beautiful and could use that, but I personally think she has handled herself with class and stayed clear of all sexual overatures.

Help,someone rescue me.
I'm being attacked by a stoner who shops at WallMart.
And yes I am a Bartendress, but I have not tried to be on a show which I know I should not be on.

Sid
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 11:10, Sidney wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 02:08, videokideo wrote:

Help,someone rescue me.
I'm being attacked by a stoner who shops at WallMart and can't spell.
And yes I am a Bartendress, but there are two things that I have not done.
1.Try to be on a show which I know I should not be on.
2.Come to McDonalds while your working.

Sid

See Sid? You got good comedy quips - I'd bet you'd have done well on Phenomenon too.

Scalding Sid Supreme does the Bartending of Doom Effect.

I'd watch it.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Sidney
View Profile
New user
85 Zombie Kills and their heads hung on
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
Thanks Doc, Think a drink would be a natural also.

Sid
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
This is a message by the cows channeled through the human M:C:

Its so easy for the haters to sit on there padded chairs, typing through there noses looking down those who are ahead and above you in your game.

Unless your out there getting the same kind of limelight these people are getting and have the same circumstances to perform I think mouths should be wary. It smells like jealously.

Everyone who's been on phenomenon is going to be ahead of you in terms of expierence and recognition. Face it.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

- The cows and co.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Unphenomenal Chicks (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL