The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Unphenomenal Chicks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
There are not many women into our type of magic, which is a great travesty because the Femine is much more powerful compared to the Masculine. I saw Angela' live first performance in the studio and apart from Jims it was the only other one I liked.
I think you guys are being really harsh on this young lady. Imagine if it was your daughter, wouldn't you want her fellow mage to gather for support???
I have looked through Angela's host of video's she has on youtube and I see a young lady with a love for magic and her related arts, I see someone who has progressed a lot since some of her first videos, and has continued to progress on the phenomenom show. Although I didn't like the burn revelation so much, I do like bizarre performances.
The art of Seduction is very powerful especially for women, it creates a wonderful, beautiful form of enchantment that most of us guys will never posess.

The reactions speak for themselves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFDZp4Z2Hs

Good Luck Angela in realtime you are spellbinding... thankyou...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
KARCH
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of KARCH
The fact that she was nervously gigling AFTER her knife plunge was rather like telling everyone she wasn't all that confident that she could do it and that she was surprized she did it. This is not exactly how a PHENOMENON would/should act. I find it to be inconsistent behavior.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I use my drop dead gorgeous looks and my charm to seduce ladies. Why can't she do the same? But to men.

Cow Man.

P.s Don't be bitter, all you need to get on tv really is a Russian roulette routine and a pk touches.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1057 Posts

Profile of Nash
If I must be proper:

I'm quite puzzled by the crucification of the way she dresses. For starter, it is TV. You think the producers have ZERO say on the way they dress? Doesn't it kind of shock you when all male contestants dress in black tie and suit, while she is in RED and standing right in the middle? Some coincidence? Or it is "welcome to T.V land" ?

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with an attractive woman in dress, nor Brad Pitt showing his *** near perfect body like he did in "Troy". Haven't we forgotten we are "performers", that an appealing appearance is one of the prerequistes?
In case you wonder, she is as well a model. This is her image, you can dislike it, but to suggest she lacks the talent unless she morphes into something that doesn't fit her personality is quite ridiculous.
Then Somebody brought up reading into Feminism books, again, I'm puzzled. What does feminism have to do with it?

Lastly, if I gots to be real, be REAL REAL...

The girl is 20 years old.
I never saw her live but I've seen her performance on Myspace videos. This kid is obviously serious about this art.
There's no need to tear her down, fact is, I don't even think she gives a Daarrrnnn. she's living out her dream at the moment.
No need to hate, congratulate..

HOll at yo'boy.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
This all proves that opinions by cowsensus become milky and diluted. We will all emerge from the Great Cow Shed, enlightened by the crystalline water droplets of lactic dew.

Cowrona.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Here Here! The wise Cowmaster speaks freely and truly! All hail grand master Cowrona!

MattCowman:Cow man :and: Cow Boy:
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
No one on the show is really doing what they do.

And many were brought on to play a part.

Not even sure if the thing should be labled a competition.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Good input, Jim. I would not suggest that the routines on the show even hint at what each performer is capable of.

However, I respectfully disagree with the whole "if you aren't on the show, or as successful as them, don't criticize" take. That doesn't make any sense. Some of it, I agree, seems petty and can come across as sour grapes and jealousy. I don't pretend to be as successful as even the working birthday party magician down the street. But that doesn't mean I can't express an opinion about whether I think someone is good or not.

I can't sing to save my life. But I know good singing when I hear it. And I know bad singing.

I have never acted, other than my magic shows. But I know good acting when I see it.

I have never made a Hollywood movie. But I know the good from the bad.

Whether you agree with my definition of good and bad is up to you. But we are all entitled to our opinion.

In fact, if I were on the show, I would welcome the feedback. I wouldn't want people to just be quiet. I would be interested in being the best performer possible, and hearing the negative is a big part of that.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
I'm the one that brought up feminism books. I glanced over why I did so. And it wasn't an empty recommendation. But those reasons why are moot now. What Jim Callahan and Jim Karol brought up shines light on the subject. I've never been on a show like this. While I knew the crew would have suggestions, I didn't expect that they would make people act a role on a reality show competition. For me reality was the keyword, now I know that show is the word worth paying attention to.

I apologize to Angela. I was ignorant on the details.

/paul.f

Edit: Just read this from an interview on Callahan's website:

Jim: "They all have performed admirably under the rather vexing/difficult situation of having their acts changed and re-written."

As I said, I was completely ignorant. Truly, I wholly apologize.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5748 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
I'm quite puzzled by the crucification of the way she dresses.

It is not so much the way she dresses as it is the way she hiked her dress up. I see no eveidence of such actions in the video links posted here and elsewhere. THAT is the contradiction to honest charm.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Tom

Going by what Jim has written, and the post about it being a TV show by Psychic Madman, it is understandable what has happened and why.

Tony
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2074 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 16:04, Jim-Callahan wrote:
No one on the show is really doing what they do.

And many were brought on to play a part.

Not even sure if the thing should be labled a competition.

-Jim

This clarifies a lot. And quite unfortunate... but such is network television. Art and TV don't mix.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5748 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Tony,

I don't believe it does. The pressures to "be the success" should not errode the character of the performer. For me, if that is the reason, they have.

"Art and TV don't mix" Oh dear, I hear 1,000 minds spinning on an oil and water presentation.

Tom
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Anyone who went on Phenomena had to make some sort of compromise.

Also, I don't think she hiked the dress up... that is what wardrobe gave her, most likely. I doubt she has a ton of dresses like that at home! (Of course, that is just speculation).

Plus, she has not pole danced on the stage. She has not been touchy feely with anyone.

My only comment is she is a magician, not a mentalist, as defined by the way people define things - but to me, so what? If she provides good entertainment etc... the end. Although, I would say causing a fire to light up as the start up destroys the build up of mental explanations... plus it would be better to have a t**=s***** rem*** to activate it with a gesture from afar....

Nice thing for her is she will get to review her acts and I am sure use the footage to reflect and improve her art.

I predict she will be on the cover of TLR soon enough.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5748 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
I don't think she hiked the dress up...

Care to put a friendly wager on that?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Nope - don't gamble Smile

I am curious to know how you'll prove SHE hiked up the dress or the wardrobe people hiked it up for her...
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5748 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Its right there in the video. And for the record I have no issue with people exuding what ever sexuality they want, as long as it is a conscious choice and not something they were "talked into". As I have said, it just seems out of character for Angela and counter to the natural charm I saw in her previously.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ok - I'll go look - but if you mean hike the skirt up to do the leg reveal... don't we roll up our sleeves to show our manly stigmata Smile?
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I think the point was that she did not NEED to hike up the skirt. Arm, lower leg, palm, back of hand are all possibilities (without getting into methodology, btw, as that is a completely different topic).
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Come on...she had to hike it just a little. We wouldn't have been able to read the name if she hadn't. :O)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Unphenomenal Chicks (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL