The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » B-day child is sick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Hey everybody,

I don't do b-day parties very often anymore, but this past weekend, a friend asked if I could entertain the kids at his 7 year old son's party. The day of the show, my friend called to say his son was running a fever, but the party was still on. How do you handle the situation, walk in with a mask and rubber gloves?

I'm not a germ a phobe, but it is the cold and flu season. I loaded up with vitamin C and a product called airborne and went to the show. Of course I washed my hands immediately after the show, as I always do, but have you ever thought about the props being handled in back to back shows. The birthday child is always the star of the show, but at what cost to the health of the other kids?

Fortunately, I didn't have another show that day, so I wiped down the wands, fan and anything else the sick child had come in contact with a antibacterial wipe. Anyone else cleaning props between shows?

Ken
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
WOW, great topic. The thought of cleaning my props during the flu season never crossed my mind. I am going to try to remember to do so though. I can't afford to get sick. I have a 2 year old daughter. The first year was rough with her. She would bring germs home from daycare. I was sick a lot that year. Thanks for the idea.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Ken,

I know your pain. My first year full time I got the flu FOUR times, and my kid got strep throat SIX times. I now have a 'kit' in my car that consists of purel hand sanitizer and clorox wipes. ANYTHING that a kid touches gets wiped down in my case. During my warm up I purposely scan the audience for 'sniffly' kids and either won't pick them to help in the show OR I will have them do a routine with me that any prop they touch they keep like a silly billy blow up wand or hat tear.

When I get out to the car I reset and use the clorox wipes to wipe down every prop. Some props are tougher like the stiff rope but I even replace those regularly.

Finally I am VERY aware that I do not touch my face, eyes, ears. or nose, anytime I am doing my show. When I get to the car the first thing I do is purel my hands and wipe down the handle of my case.

This may seem like overkill to some but I do a TON of shows and interact with a TON of kids each weekend. I am doing to not only keep myself healthy but as a parent I do not want to make my son or little Johnny sick because the last kid I did the breakaway wand with was sick and coughed or blew snot on the wand. I even bought the $40 break away wand from Hank Lee because it is easier to clean!

If you do a lot of kid shows,interact with the kids a lot during the show, and twist balloons, this stuff becomes real important, real quick!

GREAT question!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Wouldn't it be easier just to spray the child?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you study your microbiology, just wash your hands well following the act, and before washing them do not touch your mouth, face , or eyes. As for your equipment a little alcohol, or windex, lysol spray, or the clorox wipes will take care of them. Unless you have open wounds on your hands you won't get anything just from manual contact unless you touch your face, eyes, or mouth with them. You probably stand as much chance of catching colds and flu from shaking hands with people on the street.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Airborne (or the WalMart brand, WalBorne) is good. It's a zinc-based holistic cold remedy/prevention. Also, Zicam is fantastic, and available in many different delivery methods, the original nasal gel being my favorite, it's a zinc-based ointment. I also take 3,000 (that's right, THREE THOUSAND) milligrams of vitamin C each day, along with the multi-vitamin. I don't get sick, and if I do, I prefer holistic and naturopathic remedies, unless the illness gets past the point of my own system's ability to take care of it. That doesn't happen often.

Use hand sanitizer and antimicrobial wipes, but, be careful with some painted props. The bleach in some of those cleaning wipes can seriously have detrimental effects on some surfaces.

Steve
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17197 Posts

By the way, plenty of double blind studies that show that vitamin C and zinc do nothing to prevent you from catching colds and flu or reducing the duration or severity of them if you catch them.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Photius, I have to disagree with those studies. My own experience tells me that vitamin C is an essential part of staying healthy. If I don't eat a few oranges every day, I quickly start to feel run down, and am much more likely to catch a cold. However, it seems that vitamin C is not much help once you've already caught a cold, it's mostly beneficial as a preventative step.
Doug.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hand sanitizer!! yeah, baby!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
Whatever you believe will help, will help. The power of placebos ;-)
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've read studies to the contrary concerning zinc and zinc-based supplements. What was your source?

Steve
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Do C and Zinc prevent colds, or do they improve your health and help you to resist colds. Studies conflict, but better safe than sorry.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1598 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I have a bottle of hand sanitizer inside my table which I use during the performance.
There is a bottle sitting in the car coffee cup holder..As soon as I get in the car I sanitize my hands.
Richard.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Frank, Richard, and maybe others mentioned hand sanitizer. Germ X is a great product! I initially started taking it with me to my magic shows mainly because of handling live rabbits. But it seems me and my family are involved with kids in nearly every phase of our lives, so we always keep some of the little travel bottles of Germ X with us. There are bottles in each vehicle, in my magic emergency kit, all over the place.

My great-niece was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia(ALL) about a year and half ago, and her immunity drops low after her chemo treatments. We all have had to learn to be very careful around her, so the Germ X is very handy in that regard too.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
The original post reminded me of a birthday party I was once booked for. The birthday kid was sick and in bed. ...Couldn't even get out of bed to come down stairs to see the show - which went on for all of his friends at the request of the parents... That must have been one cruddy birthday for that poor kid.

I waited about a week and mailed him a magic video as a late suprise birthday gift from me because I felt so bad about him missing the show and his party.

Lyndel
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Ok, A cold is caused by a virus, not bacteria. No anti-bacteria concoction will help you. Too much zinc can kill you. Your body only uses about 500mg of Vit. C a day. Airborne is good marketing.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Moon, you must be a joy at parties Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17197 Posts

I'm not going to jump in the middle of the age old argument against folk medicine and modern medicine. You can find plenty of articles written by people who sell herbal and OTC meds and vitamins all claiming they will cure anything and everything , even a rainy day. And you will find tons of testamonials from individuals who swear it cured them. You will even find legitimate M.D.'s, D.O.'s, D.V.M's, and Ph.D's who swear by such (and every one of them either directly sells or has a piece of the action of some company who sells such).
But none of their "studies" meets the paramaters of accepted academic and scientific research.
You can also go gleen through legitimate medical and nutrition journals where such research is done and find an equally large number of articles that demonstrate that zinc actually can lower your body immune response, has no statistacally significant effect upon duration of colds, and that Vitamin C neither pervents you catching a cold, nor shortens the duration and / or intensity of a cold.
It is entirely up to you to decide whether you get your medical information from legitimate scientific /academic journals or from Joe behind the counter at the local herb and vitamin store.
I have seen many an article on herbal and vitamin remedies that claim to site legitmiate research, but when you actually go and read that research you find that it was either misquoted or taken entirely out of context.
Your body, your choice.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Looks like I'll be picking up some Germ X & clorox wipes, thanks for all the tips guys.....

I'll feel better wiping down the props between shows.....

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » B-day child is sick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL