The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What's really Behind Phenomenon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Little birdies? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 23:53, brainchild wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 20:14, entity wrote:
Time to peek behind the curtain.

Is it true that Phenomenon is bankrolled completely by Uri Geller and Criss Angel?

Do they really pay all of the Production costs themselves, out of their own pockets?

Are they actually PAYING NBC $100,000.00 to put the show on the air?

Is it true that one now-gone performer was promised the final win if he would "play ball"?

Follow the money...

- entity

I'm not sure insinuated this, but they were speculating, and they were wrong.

What makes you so sure they are wrong? It sounds reasonable to me that they would bankroll it themselves.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Brainchild:

I'm only asking questions.

Which part are you saying is wrong, and how do you know it's wrong?

If you KNOW the answers to each question I've asked, please answer here, publicly.

Jason: I'm a Mentalist. I know all, I see all...

- entity
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Cthullhu is highly insulted by the CA remarks.

I am withholding my dark humour until CA does something that merits me losing control again Smile

So hurry up Criss and do something horrible again! My inner evil is waiting... are you turning good or something??
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
I'm a mentalist, too, and I see Entity in Los Angeles for the last few days – then the crystal goes dark. Working undercover, perhaps? Sussing out deep secrets at NBC?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I've merely asked questions.

I'd be very interested to hear those in a position of authority give the answers.

- entity
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes! I would like Entity's questions answered too.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 20:14, entity wrote:
Time to peek behind the curtain.

Is it true that Phenomenon is bankrolled completely by Uri Geller and Criss Angel?

Do they really pay all of the Production costs themselves, out of their own pockets?

Are they actually PAYING NBC $100,000.00 to put the show on the air?

Is it true that one now-gone performer was promised the final win if he would "play ball"?

Follow the money...

- entity

As a television professional I am very familiar with inner workings of production both creatively and financially.

On a non-syndicated show what you described would never happen. Uri and Criss could never just 'bankroll' a show to be on NBC. It just doesn't work like that. Even if it went through Criss Angel or Uri Gellars production company - which it doesn't - NBC would still be paying the bills.

The speculation is very off in regards to the financial backing of the show. Make no mistake, Uri is making a pretty penny off of Phenomenon. He is not out of pocket. While I do not know the inner workings of his deal, as the creator he is most likely getting a percentage of the overall budget in addition to a creators fee.

As far as Criss goes he could be paid in a number of ways depending on how his contract with A&E (which is owned by NBC) was set up. It is absurd to think he is out of pocket.

Also, in addition to it being complete nonsense to even consider, promising a win to a contestant if they would 'play ball' is not something they could do legally. Game shows, which 'Phenomenon' would qualify as, are governed by the California Gaming Commision and as such, it must follow certain rules - too long to list here - in order to be on the air, etc.

Anyway gotta run.

-B.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Oh, good grief. I was with Uri while Successor was going on and was party to how the whole NBC thing came about, and Uir's excitement at how the whole thing landed in his lap. It leaves me wondering just how much more nonsense can be trotted out.. who start all these daft rumours?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I suspect that neither of you know the truth.

It's not unusual for airtime to be bought on networks. Copperfield's Specials were done that way.

- entity
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd love to have a look at those Gaming Rules...I'm sure Callahan would too Smile
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 17:50, entity wrote:

It's not unusual for airtime to be bought on networks. Copperfield's Specials were done that way.

- entity

I stand by my statement. The logic behind your post in regards to Uri, Criss, and the financial backing is absurd and does not equate to the standards or methods of professional television production on a network, cable, or even syndicated level. 'Phenomenon' has plenty of faults but it is not an infomercial.

I think the chances of Criss Angel actually floating over the Luxor are much more likely than what you have previously described.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

- entity
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Personally I think a "thank you for taking the time to answer my question" would have been a more appropriate reply, but to each his own.

Thanks for the info, Brainchild. For the reasons you stated, the idea that they would have fixed the competion in any blatant way seems a non-starter. I'm getting a vision. A vision of a garden path. And on that path, I see a man being led.

I have, though, been wondering since I first saw the show if the competition is COMPLETELY legitimate. Am I correct that they never reported on the show the actual vote count? I was surprised by that. I thought that would not only be fun to know, but lend credibility to the announced results. Do the contestants, at least, have access to the data on the vote count?
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
The aliens did it.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 20:28, brainchild wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 17:50, entity wrote:

- entity

I stand by my statement. The logic behind your post in regards to Uri, Criss, and the financial backing is absurd and does not equate to the standards or methods of professional television production on a network, cable, or even syndicated level.

Read my statement above yours, BC.

Let's wait and see down the road what the real answers to my questions will be.

- entity
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
I don’t get it. Is anyone suggesting that Uri Geller’s Successor idea, which NBC bought the rights for to televise their version is rigged? As far as I have witnessed – NBC brought Criss Angel into the production for name recognition.

What about the shows that will be done in UK and Germany? Criss Angel is not affiliated with those and I am pretty sure he wasn’t involved in the Israel version either. I read in one press clipping that Criss almost did not make it to the show because of a contract hiccup with A&E.

There are several persons on the forum that auditioned for Phenomenon, me being one of them. From what I observed, everything was treated like any other TV show. (BTW, I was cast to appear on LA Ink. Further details forthcoming).
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I was wondering how the judges suddenly get the right to put someone of THEIR choosing back into the mix? That doesn't seem fair. I thought that the contest was decided by the viewers votes? Where are those rules...or do they change every week Smile
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 22:54, Slim King wrote:
I was wondering how the judges suddenly get the right to put someone of THEIR choosing back into the mix? That doesn't seem fair. I thought that the contest was decided by the viewers votes? Where are those rules...or do they change every week Smile

Can one of the contestants, that we know, enlighten us about this?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Didn't IDOL do something like that? Judges voting to bring back people? They probably thought of that from Idol. Their idea of an exciting changup.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What's really Behind Phenomenon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL