The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Semi-final Phenomenon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I thought Gerry's effect was the best of the night- unfortunately, the reveal of the audience's "collective" response was similar to what Mike did a couple of weeks ago with 3:13.

Guy, in many ways, is the most reminiscent of Uri. Tonight, I believe it helped him. In the end, I'm not so sure it will. He certainly connected better with the audience tonight than he has in past weeks.

Angela looked stunning. As did Raven's feet.

At the end of the day, call it "magic", call it "mentalism", call it "I don't know what the f**k that was...but mentalists don't produce motorcycles", even call him "mentalism's answer to Dane Cook" (shudder), but Mike Super is the ONLY contestant who truly looks like he's having a good time up there. He's the only one I'm not nervous for. What few silences there are, don't seem awkward. Angel made his first intelligent comment of the series, when he commended Super on how he handled a mishap, when the effect didn't go as planned. Whether you're a serious mentalist or a light mentalist, you've got to have humor. I've seen Max Maven, Eugene Burger, Derren Brown in the midst of powerful, intimidating routines, yet still not taking themselves too seriously- wearing that invisible, knowing grin. A lightness of being. I know the other contestants have that in them, and have shown flashes of it... but only Super has demonstrated it week in, week out. Just my two cents.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Any link to episode 4 available yet?

thanks
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 01:18, gabelson wrote:
A lightness of being. I know the other contestants have that in them, and have shown flashes of it... but only Super has demonstrated it week in, week out.

You left out the word "unbearable" when it came to "lightness of being."

Tonight Mike Super demonstrated that he could imitate Copperfield in a mentalism competition. The only question is whether he'll get away with it.

Unfortunately for us, I'm afraid he will, and our audiences will be even more confused about what a mentalist is.

Arnon
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As I watch this show I think of all that talked about it before it was even shot and how they were looking forward to this and wondered why the big ones in mentalism were not trying out... hmmm... as I watch I keep hearing a song from a 1990 Sci-fi called Hardware... the lyrics were mostly the following repeated: "This is what you want, this is what you get, this is what you want, this is what you get..." Seems fitting.

I love watching the snake eat its own tail. It's lovely.

Can't wait until Super (Sanjaya) or Angela (Hung) win next week. It should be lots of fun.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Gerry's act was definitaley the best of all.
It was simple and direct.

You could see how comfortable Guy was while doing the metal bending (of course, he did it for years).

Erin... a blatant Derren Brown rip off (remember the SAS guy?).

Angela's effect felt so slow... and during the photo finish I had an old David Copperfield show in mind with two little children.

Mike seemed relaxed and had fun on stage although I found the premise of hypnosis very weak. Too much magic in there.

Just MHO... but what do I know... I'm not on tv (yet).
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
la9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of la9
I think it's because they keep telling the performers they aren't connecting with the audience and aren't getting the reactions they want.

Duh

To get bigger and better rections from the audience you go for stage illusions. Besides Criss can relate better to them.

They probably saw the show wasn't getting the ratings with mentalism stuff so they needed the bigger better stuff.

Next year it will be phenomenom magician.....
interro1
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of interro1
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 23:59, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-14 23:56, johne wrote:
Dang I typed all that and then someone posts that great lind ;O)

Haha, sorry about that John, but thanks for your write-up.

What's the story with Criss not wanting to hold Angel's hand, what exactly happened?

Guy, in an effort to focus the audiences energy and bend the stop sign, asked the audience to hold hands.

Uri reached out to Angel and Angel didn't budge.

This sparks me to believe one thing. That envelope of Angel's is a magical envelope, capable of holding anything you put it in it, an unlimited capacity if you will.

What's in the envelope? Criss Ego

The envelope is full.

I actually had a level of respect for Angel prior to this show, but to see him live, in all his meglomaniacle (sp?) glory makes my stomach churn. It's too bad a good show like Phenomenon has to be comletely adulterated by such a thing.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Anybody find anything about this show that they liked? Or is it all negative from you guys.

My assessment is that it will come down to Angela (yes I'm biased) and Super.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
DMG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DMG
I was actually impressed with the performances - but I'm also not a mentalist and I'm very new to this. I missed Angela's and I thought Raven's was weakest - but all in all I enjoyed the show.

Anyone else catch that Criss also sent a backhanded little jibe when he referred to Guy's performance as a " trick." Uri corrected him. LOL

I think Criss never read "How to win friends and ifluence people", eh?
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
May I ask a quick question? I've not seen Derren Brown do the blindfold walk. Did he do an exact rip-off of it (with glass, razors, scorpions and a bed of nails)?

The reason I ask is because the blindfold obstacle course is at least 80-100 years old.

Thanks!
sir real
View Profile
New user
I've been tied to
85 Posts

Profile of sir real
DMG,So Uri actually corrected Criss' "trick" comment? that's great. I missed that part,someone here must have been talking.Do you happen to recall what Uri said?
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 02:30, arnon wrote:

Tonight Mike Super demonstrated that he could imitate Copperfield in a mentalism competition. The only question is whether he'll get away with it.

Unfortunately for us, I'm afraid he will, and our audiences will be even more confused about what a mentalist is.

Arnon

Arnon, the good new is, after the show is gone, no one will be confused, because no one will remember. A couple of months ago, I was concerned about exposure of our art as fallout from this show. Not anymore. As Clara Peller asked, "Where's the mentalism?"... or something to that effect. Thankfully, the show is entitled, "PHENOMENON". Americans will likely equate a "phenomenon" as someone who produces motorcycles or has blood on their leg spelling out someone's name. So when you perform a PK time, or do cold reading, or a book test, or a Q & A, people will still be just as shocked and awed as they were before this show aired. They won't be confused- they'll be grateful! And impressed- because they will not have seen anything as close to real mindreading before.
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
I don't understand all the criticism here. Criss Angel is pompous, and Uri Geller doesn't add much. But why all the criticism of the performances?

Last night, Angela's performance was a little meandering, but the final reveal was amazing. Mike Super's trick was astounding. I wasn't so impressed with Eran's blind walk, but McCambridge and Guy had very entertaining performances that left me really wondering.

Maybe it's because I don't know how all the tricks are done, but I'm generally enjoying the show.

Can someone explain to me why you are all so negative about the show? I'm genuinely curious.

-David
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Given the circumstances and restrictions of network tv, and the fact that it's LIVE, the performers are doing an admirable job. But IMHO, aside from Super, they're not connecting with the audience. And what they're doing-- aside from a couple of moments here and there- particularly by Bavli- is not mentalism- which is fine, too, I guess.
As far as negativity about the show itself? I don't think you have to be in the magical arts to know it's just not good. The pacing is terrible, the format equally as bad. It's pretty much the concensus of everyone I know OUTSIDE the magic circle, and it reflects in the ratings. People are bored. By far, the most entertaining moments on the show thus far were Jim's performance, and the ensuing confrontation. Like them or not, "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars" WORK, for whatever reason. Watch Derren Brown's U.K. shows. That's the benchmark of what a "mentalism show" should look like. And it may not even be the network's fault. I'm not sold on the fact that an "American Idol"-like mentalism "competition" can work.
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 13:29, gabelson wrote:
Given the circumstances and restrictions of network tv, and the fact that it's LIVE, the performers are doing an admirable job. But IMHO, aside from Super, they're not connecting with the audience. And what they're doing-- aside from a couple of moments here and there- particularly by Bavli- is not mentalism- which is fine, too, I guess.
As far as negativity about the show itself? I don't think you have to be in the magical arts to know it's just not good. The pacing is terrible, the format equally as bad. It's pretty much the concensus of everyone I know OUTSIDE the magic circle, and it reflects in the ratings. People are bored. By far, the most entertaining moments on the show thus far were Jim's performance, and the ensuing confrontation. Like them or not, "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars" WORK, for whatever reason. Watch Derren Brown's U.K. shows. That's the benchmark of what a "mentalism show" should look like. And it may not even be the network's fault. I'm not sold on the fact that an "American Idol"-like mentalism "competition" can work.

I couldn't have said it any better! Jim's performance was truly the only one that sustained interest throughout the show... Regardless of what has been said, I had my money on Jim...

Guess my prediction was wrong for the show..
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Good points. I think the reason I didn't get what you guys were talking about is that I use TiVo, so I've been skipping past most of the fluff only to watch the performances, which have been generally quite enjoyable. The hour-long episodes are only about 30 minutes when you just watch the performances and skip the BS.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 10:23, Master Mystifier wrote:
May I ask a quick question? I've not seen Derren Brown do the blindfold walk. Did he do an exact rip-off of it (with glass, razors, scorpions and a bed of nails)?

The reason I ask is because the blindfold obstacle course is at least 80-100 years old.

Thanks!

Pretty much. Derren did it in a darkened room and walked across a bigger obstacle course. His ending was practically the same except in Derren's the person puts one bed under one of three spots and Derren falls back onto the correct spot.
You could see Raven had seen the episode and decided to rip it off. Just no creativity in the man... but then he is being watched by Criss so ripping people off is parr for the course.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 10:36, sir real wrote:
DMG,So Uri actually corrected Criss' "trick" comment? that's great. I missed that part,someone here must have been talking.Do you happen to recall what Uri said?

I missed it too..... I must have been busy cursing CA Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 10:36, sir real wrote:

His comment followed Angels comments and he said something like. "I take exception to it being called a trick......"

Best,

Tim
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Good for him!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Semi-final Phenomenon (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL