The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Semi-final Phenomenon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 12:34, gabelson wrote:
Thankfully, the show is entitled, "PHENOMENON". Americans will likely equate a "phenomenon" as someone who produces motorcycles or has blood on their leg spelling out someone's name. So when you perform a PK time, or do cold reading, or a book test, or a Q & A, people will still be just as shocked and awed as they were before this show aired. They won't be confused- they'll be grateful! And impressed- because they will not have seen anything as close to real mindreading before.

Gabe, once again, you've proven yourself to be the pithy yet incisive writer so deserving of Emmy Awards!

You've also renewed my faith in the future of mentalism as a stunning intimate form of live entertainment, despite the recent "telehistrionics*."

Thank you.

Arnon

Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 08:11, DMG wrote:
Anyone else catch that Criss also sent a backhanded little jibe when he referred to Guy's performance as a " trick." Uri corrected him. LOL

I think Criss never read "How to win friends and ifluence people", eh?

Quote:
On 2007-11-15 16:10, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 10:36, sir real wrote:
DMG,So Uri actually corrected Criss' "trick" comment? that's great. I missed that part,someone here must have been talking.Do you happen to recall what Uri said?

His comment followed Angels comments and he said something like. "I take exception to it being called a trick......"

Best,

Tim

For the record, the following dialogue ensued when Criss Angel ("CA") was revealing the collaborative decision he and Uri made to "save" either Gerry McCambridge or Guy Bavli:

CA: Guy has done his best performance this evening, and it was based in a trick that Uri made very very famous…

Uri: I hate calling it a trick

CA: <laughing> I’m sorry.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
If you EVER get the chance to see Mike Super in person, don't miss him. He does one of the best shows I have ever seen.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2657 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
As far as negativity about the show itself? I don't think you have to be in the magical arts to know it's just not good. The pacing is terrible, the format equally as bad. It's pretty much the concensus of everyone I know OUTSIDE the magic circle, and it reflects in the ratings. People are bored. By far, the most entertaining moments on the show thus far were Jim's performance, and the ensuing confrontation. Like them or not, "American Idol" and "Dancing with the Stars" WORK, for whatever reason. Watch Derren Brown's U.K. shows. That's the benchmark of what a "mentalism show" should look like.

I would like to think there's some happy medium i.e. a decent mentalism TV show that isn't an AMERICAN IDOL wannabe yet doesn't rely on editing to enhance effects.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2657 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
The reason I ask is because the blindfold obstacle course is at least 80-100 years old.

Which makes the fact that Derren Brown invented it even more amazing!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
No way, CA invented it two weeks before DB
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11971 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think Dr Zodiac has done something similiar, albeit without the actual fall.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
I really enjoyed the short 'cut-away' trick Mike Super performed 'on the street'. A card trick in which his written prediction was wrong but after applying a bit of heat to the paper, letters began to disappear leaving his prediction corrected. Not to upset any mentalist here but does anyone know the name of said phenomenon card tr...um, that is card display?!?

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Man oh man, I feel like I just killed this thread. Is it just me? Do I always post in the wrong thread or is everyone just angry about CA still?!?! Anyone?

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Semi-final Phenomenon (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL