The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Reading Effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
For anyone who owns the AOA set, there is an effect in book 2 on page 215 called Million Dollar Mind Reader. I didn't think this effect would work, but I tryed it on a couple of magicians and it fooled the heck out of them. Now I think I'm going to build a whole mentalism routine based on that one principle.
For those who know what this principle is: Is it an old principle or a relatively new one? I have not seen it anywhere else.

For those who don't own the book the effect is this: While the perfromer's back is turned, he directs the spectator to write down the name of any person that means something special to her. The name can written on the paper in any position and at any angle. The spectator is then directed to write any other name she can think of, in any position and at any angle on the paper. This is continued until there are about ten names written on the paper. The paper is then given to the performer and after concentrating on the names, the performer reveals the name that means something special to the spectator, which is the first name she wrote on the paper. At no time does the performer peak at the paper before it is handed to him. No stooges.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Sorry... What does AOA stands for?
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Julien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Julien
Art of Astonishment by Paul HARRIS.

As for the principle itself, it is not new. Besides, it's the kind of principle almost everyone falls across by looking around a little bit, much like the Braue Reversal, or the Top Card Cover Pass (if you're a cardman) and so on.

As for the routine itself, there are several ways it can be accomplished.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
This is not a new idea. But it is obscure! Just the kind of thing I like! It is written up in a few other places. But it is brilliant when used impromptu!

Chad

For an extra super hard to figure out version, try this! (same principle, just a dfferent presentation) You hand someone a pen and a post-it note. They are instructed to write down any word, number, letter in the world. Now, just to confuse you write several other different numbers, letters, etc. at other places on the paper. So the whole thing is scrambled. Now take back the paper, and reiterate what has happened. They could have written anything! As you say this site the word and remember it. Ask someone else to hold the paper so that you can't do anything "sneaky" (you already know the word! you ARE sneaky!) Then reveal the word!

Chad
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I was also thinking that a good cold reading would blend very well into this effect. For example, based on the spectator's personality you start eliminating words one by one until there is only one left. Or you can ask the spectator several "important" questions like, "What year were you born?", or "What's your mother's maiden name?" and you would slowly eliminate words based on their answers. Either way, the elimination process builds suspense and makes the spectator believe that you are "reading" them.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
This effect does have killer applications!

I love it! Sometimes I get my helper to write down their favorite food. Then add more favorite foods of all different kinds.

Mmmm...makes me kinda hungry!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Bernstein has some additional touches to this principle, that makes it even safer in "20 Effects..."

/Matias
How_Soon_Is_Now
View Profile
New user
Israel
58 Posts

Profile of How_Soon_Is_Now
It's also in Mind, Myth and Magick. I don't recall the name of the effect, but it has a nice presentation that has to do with an amulet drifting down and then up in a water filled bottle till it reaches the name first written on a paper held behind the bottle.

Eli A.
"I know your trail of tears, your slip of hand/ Your monkey paw, your monkey claw/ And you monkey hand/ I've seen your trick of blood, your trap of fire/ Your ancient wound, your scarlet moon/ And your jailhouse smile" - Cave
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1876 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Only problem with the method is that you cannot count on the apparatus to give you the "signal", if you know what I mean. I've done it where the apparatus worked perfectly on the first word. Any suggestions? email me.
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
The effect sounds like Ned Rutledge's Voice Print priciple. Ned released it in the early 70's
from
Ford
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
I always like the texture of that effect. Bob Cassidy actually has something quite similar, without writing..

...and the green bean effect has a similar texture as well.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2118 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
The T.A. Water's version is "(P)ocean" on page 257 of MM&M. I didn't "play" with it as it used a pencil and I don't carry one. This discussion got me thinking about the effect again. Any thoughts/ideas getting a regular pen reagdy to go for this (keeping it self-contained;perhaps some "substance" in the cap?)
*ISOLATION /QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls eBooks:
- Now only $10 ea! PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com

Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Allan-F
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
131 Posts

Profile of Allan-F
Quote:
On 2002-03-16 19:18, mindhunter wrote:
Any thoughts/ideas getting a regular pen reagdy to go for this (keeping it self-contained;perhaps some "substance" in the cap?)

The commerical product "Key to the Mind" comes with a pen (red ink) that is gimmicked for this effect. You can gimmick a regular pen using the same method, but this gimmicked pen allows you to write with the pen first and then hand it to the spectator, without a switch. It doesn't in general allow you to keep the pen "ready to go", but it does allow two applications if you're willing to forego using the pen before handing it to the spectator.

If you use this method, the product is worth a look, although you may just end up deciding to use a regular pen or pencil after all, especially if the style of their pen doesn't fit your persona (it is a gold coloured metal pen, not a cheap plastic Bic or somesuch).
Allan-F

"What can be thought of or spoken of necessarily IS, since it is possible for it to be, while it is not possible for NOTHING to be." -- Parmenides
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I tried this with my mother yesterday.

Her comment was:"I know how you did it!"

I asked her and she was right. But she uses to notice details, so... Smile

Mikael
Allan-F
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
131 Posts

Profile of Allan-F
I just had a thought about this effect. In Son of Mind Scan, there is a routine that involves reading a person's character based on the order they put a set of symbols in. The symbols represent archtypes and the order they place them in tells something about their character.

This sort of thing would be a perfect use for this principle, as it gives you a reason to divine the first thing they wrote, and for getting them to write a list of things in a certain order. It might be presented as less an outright act of mindreading, and more a proof of your intuitive abilities--but it would build prestige for the more spectacular effects to come.
Allan-F

"What can be thought of or spoken of necessarily IS, since it is possible for it to be, while it is not possible for NOTHING to be." -- Parmenides
Allan-F
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
131 Posts

Profile of Allan-F
I just had a thought about this effect. In Son of Mind Scan, there is a routine that involves reading a person's character based on the order they put a set of symbols in. The symbols represent archtypes and the order they place them in tells something about their character.

This sort of thing would be a perfect use for this principle, as it gives you a reason to divine the first thing they wrote, and for getting them to write a list of things in a certain order. It might be presented as less an outright act of mindreading, and more a proof of your intuitive abilities--but it would build prestige for the more spectacular effects to come.
Allan-F

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Allan - that sounds very interesting. I've just started to think about mentalism in combination with readings and this idea feels right on.

You could do a reading based on the (clearly visible) order presented, and then as a climax reveal which symbol "is of particular importance". Obviously, during the reading you have stressed all the good stuff for that particular symbol (or name, or fruit,or zodiac sign or...). Actually zodiac signs should be a good idea! (It's enough if they remember five or more)

How 'bout this little continuation: Rip up the paper, separating the various symbols, and go into a pendulum effect! (Participant intuitively finding her 'favourite' sign).

If you use zodiac signs, you could also let them find their most compatible partner!

Whoff - I'm getting really excited here...

/Matias
Allan-F
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
131 Posts

Profile of Allan-F
Quote:
On 2002-03-27 06:39, matias wrote:
Allan - that sounds very interesting. ...Whoff - I'm getting really excited here...

Matias,
Yes there are all sort of ways you could approach it. I like the more subliminal approach of making it just a prestige builder. It would not even appear as an intentional effect--just a comment you threw in, but you happened to be right on the money. Thus, it does not arouse suspicion in and of itself... but conditions the audience to accept you as a mental seer. This kind of subliminal convincer can help make them less critical later when you do something that is more explicitly paranormal.

Not to rule out a more explicit use of it. The pendulum idea is great! All-in-all, I think I dismissed this effect too lightly at first, because I thought (1) the effect is not overly amazing to begin with, since it is a choice between a small number of objects, and (2) there seemed no justification for the process of writing things down in some specific order and then (3) divining JUST the first one. But with the context of extracting meaning in a reading from the order, the whole thing suddenly makes perfect sense, and opens up a whole slew of different uses.

I recommend the MindScan routine, BTW, as it is very nice... it comes with "Son of" and is called, I think, MandalaScan.
Allan-F

poire
View Profile
New user
UK
58 Posts

Profile of poire
If you approve of stooges, there is a very "clean" addition you can make to this routine. Once the spec has written down 20 or so numbers /words* unwatched, she is asked to pass the list to someone else to read out. Thus nothing in the voice can "give away" the original inscription. Your accomplice reads out the list, the key word being at a prearranged interval, eg., 11th. If you employ a signalling technique you can tell her the word /number before the list is read out. I have found that sometimes the signal is a bit obvious with an "old" pen... this method cleans things up a bit.

* I prefer to ask for a number even though this depersonalises the effect somewhat (although you can ask for a number which means something on a personal level) . Occasionally I have asked for a favourite veg and the person has confidently written this down and then struggled to think of even 5 more! It's also worth avoiding the veg effect with kids...strangers to the vegetable kingdom at worst, a nodding relationship at best.
Allan-F
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
131 Posts

Profile of Allan-F
Quote:
On 2002-03-31 05:17, poire wrote:
If you approve of stooges, there is a very "clean" addition you can make to this routine. ...

That's very nice; I like it!

I don't approve or disapprove of stooges just like that. I've summarized my view on it elsewhere (see "New to magic? » » David Blaine Question"), so I won't explain at length, but by my standards, the use of a stooge is unethical if the success of the effect depends on the audience's trust that you are not employing a stooge. This is not the case here, so I have no problem with it. (The problem would arise if the original spectator was a stooge and just lied about which item she wrote first.)
Allan-F

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Reading Effect (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL