The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recap Revisited (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Hi, I've posted my problem with this trick before, the only weak link in what I think is an AMAZING impromptu trick: the all round vanish move to produce the cap from the knee. I've taken to making it slightly less impromptu, but more impossible looking I think: I keep a duplicate of the pen cap (how sad do we magicians get!) in my left pocket, do the vanish, search both my pockets with my hands and then deposit the cap in my right hand into my right pocket as I take the duplicate out of the left pocket. Since the whole routine seems very sleight-of-handish, I'm thinking I can get away with this little ruse and pass it off as clever sleight of hand. What do you people use?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I agree. 10/10 impromptu trick. What great thinking on a common, everyday item found everywhere. I think that the knee production is the hardest portion of the routine, but I saw that variation even makes it easier, and I like to hear of any improvements or variations, too. I do the original striking vanish from the palm, not the fingertips. Look at Greg's original version, and the improved revisited. Excellent stuff. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Good Idea, what about ending with a similar sequence and producing different colored caps one after another? I know you can get red green blue & black.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
frank
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
109 Posts

Profile of frank
IST:

Smart thinking. It's easy to carry a duplicate cap in your pocket.

I have no problem doing the all-around vanish. My striking vanish is only 80%. I've had problems getting the pen in/out of my watch strap too.

Great routine! I'll keep working on it...

Frank
FREE 5 Day Get Your First Restaurant Show Email Mini Course - to sign up...
Send a Blank Email Here:[email]freemagicinfo@getresponse.com[/email]
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
I don't really have a problem with the all round vanish unless I am wearing a jacket, which gets in the way. So far I've spent hours working on my striking vanish from both the fingertips (for this routine) and the palm (for my cups and balls routine), and this trick has gone into my A list repertoire already, it seems to come through for me all the time. Still trying to find a better solution for the all round vanish that can be done with a borrowed pen though... the solution has as yet proven elusive. Keep the ideas coming people! It's a fantastic routine, I really, really love performing it.
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
The spare pen top is a great idea!

I’ve been using the following variation to get out of using the all round vanish, its not any better – I just find it easier. It does, however put a bit more pressure on your striking vanish.

After the striking vanish, replace the cap back on the pen under cover of the right hand whilst showing the empty left hand. This is quite easy with a little practice; just keep the right hand moving whilst showing both sides of the left hand. Look puzzled, then toss the pen from the right to left hand, obviously making sure that the cap in concealed in the left when it arrives, then use the pen to show the right hand to be empty in the same fashion. This is basically the old cups and balls move where you toss the wand and ball from one hand to another as if it’s just the wand. As the cap is already on the pen this isn’t really a move, just make sure the toss is on the off beat and you change your focus from left hand to right hand as you do it (the opposite direction to the throw), no one will see the cap, its very deceptive. Look puzzled again, take the pen pack into your right hand leaving the cap in the left and finish up as usual.

In some respects I think this method can make the routine harder as it is important to get the pen top in a good right hand position after the striking vanish but if you get that bit right its very easy.

Cheers
Dave
samthemagical
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
90 Posts

Profile of samthemagical
Just to be an echo: Great Idea! Recap is wonderful, but it is always a major plus to simplify.
Another move, more difficult, is below:

For this you need semi-poofy hair. You will see:
At the basic ear vanish of the pen itself, instead, slip in *deep* into your HAIR! Wierd? YES. but then, with a little practice, you can drop the pen into your hand when it is behind your back. This always cuts the groans I get with the ear.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I love pulling the cap out from behind the knee just for the fact of you get to use the line,"thats why they call it a knee cap." That gets a great reation everytime. I just keep in mind the first time I ever saw Greg Wilson show me this trick and have been using it ever since. This has got to be by far the greatest impromtu trick ever!
Everyone eles ideas are great also. Keep those minds thiinking.
Shawn
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I´m learning it from the Off the cuff video. I love the routine, but for me the biggest problem is a sleight-of-ear! I´m having a hard time getting the pen in place, but it´s even worse with the cap... I don´t know what´s wrong with my ears, they´re not protruding or large or anything. They just won´t grip Smile Maybe I won´t wash´em for a while so they get sticky.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Stick it in your ear. That's what he does on On the Spot.
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Yeah definitely stick in IN your ear, that gets great reactions. I almost never wear a watch so I skip the last phase. As for the all-around vanish, it is tricky. I'm not sure how much of the effect is lost by strike vanishing, then tossing the pen into your other hand, and reaching below your right knee to produce the cap. Smile
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I personally find the strike vanish harder than the all around vanish. The pen cap keeps stabbing me. I think that the all around vanish is necessary. I don't think that the strike vanish is good enough to get rid of all possibilities that the pen was tossed to the other hand. When you produce it with the left hand, I think that it makes the strike vanish stronger.

My favorite part about sticking it in your ear is the line he uses once "What, I can't hear you?" I use it every time.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
In the ear... OK, great tip. I guess I´ll have to wash my ears after all.

Smile
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
Just wanted to say how much I love this effect. Even though some people figure out a couple of the moves because of angles, they still love it.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
It serves its purpose as both a gag and a magnificent trick at the same time, and coupled with the impromptu aspect of it, it certainly is up among the best tricks I do.
Psychosis
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Psychosis
I just started learning this one. I've seen it in AoA numerous times and just glanced over it. After seeing Gregg perform this on video, I was so impressed with the reaction that I had to learn it.

My only problems thus far are the striking vanish (to me it doesn't look convincing yet), and placing of the cap in the ear. I feel it's too "fumbly". Any advice?
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
The striking vanish is not convincing to me either. Part of the deception is its speed. You will never convince yourself that your strike vanish looks good becuase you know when its going to happen. The deception for the audience happens because its gone before they even realized something happened. That's why, in my opinion, you must move quickly into the next phase of the routine, you don't want them to catch on.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Speed is not the issue, guys. In fact, when Michael Ammar teaches the strike vanish, he makes a point to tell his students that speed is not a factor. The most important factor is timing. Watch anybody that is competent with the sleight; you'll see what I mean.

Steven
Coram Deo
Psychosis
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Psychosis
Steven,

I've watched numerous people perform the sleight. Maybe it's because most of the videos I see are on the internet, but I never see the move (or hardly see it). This could be because the frame rate of internet-based video is not as high as video/dvd frame rates. Either way, they still look great. I'll just have to keep practicing!
dlcarr50
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of dlcarr50
Your version is great for you, keep it up. I have a lot of good things to say about the all around vanish, but if your version is good for you, again keep it up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recap Revisited (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL