The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fool the guesser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Recently I read a book--and it is driving me CRAZY because I can't remember what it was. (I am typically quite good at keeping references in my head, so it is really eating me up.)

Anyways, it was referencing "Fool the Guesser", which often uses a special gimmick we all know and love. But this time, a different method was referenced regarding 3 months (I know which three, but I am trying to limit exposure here). These 3 can be written down in such a way that the month the guesser claims he has written could very well be the month he has written down (if he had poor handwriting). Combined with the fact that he has given himself a 2 month leeway on either side, he has every month covered except one. Hence, the guesser wins 11/12 times. The drawing is sort of an ambigram.

Anyways, I cannot, for the life of me, remember the book reference--which included an illustration! (Therefore, it is NOT "Carnival Undercover".) I cannot even remember how the illustration was written. If anyone knows the answer(s) and can provide me with an example scribble, can you please, please PM me?

PLEASE.

PLEASE.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Of course, EXACTLY 28 seconds after having posted this message....I found the reference. I only posted after ripping my already packed library apart (I am moving). Ho hum.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
What was it?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4303 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ok, for us uninitiated who are not familiar with "Fool the Guesser", can you just explain briefly the routine as seen from the spectator's point of view?

It sounds like someone is guessing the month of the year that a person is thinking of? Am I close?

Thanks
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
They are guessing the birth month of the mark.

Yours,

Paul
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
I'm guessing that we're referring to the old and faithful J-line technique?
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Yes, I was referring to the J-line technique. If you PM me, I'll send you a link. "Fool the Guesser" can be age (within a certain number of years), weight (within a few pounds), and birth month (within 2 months). The "within" gives enough leeway to help the odds, but they are still in favor of the mark (so it seems, which is why they take the bet). But, the use of certain techniques are used to reduce the risk to (next to) zero for the operator.

I was thinking of putting together a routine using other techniques than the two known. Now this should be in the magic section, but you could do this with a whole audience, guessing a whole row of people's weights, ages, etc., using a one-ahead technique. Or how about an "out to lunch" principle for an "impromptu" "Fool the Guesser"?

Anyways, with regards to the original, I have only seen two ways of doing it. I just think it is a routine that lends itself to mentalism, without having the same abstractness of "three wavy lines and a star". I could be guessing the color of your underwear (James Biss). It seems ripe for a show--maybe fitting Dr. Wilson's style--his magic elixir might help him have unique powers....
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Jeremy,

My magic elixir is entirely responsible for my unique powers. And these powers could be yours for only pennies a day! I say pennies a day!

Yours,

Paul
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
A friend who puts several scale joints out every season told me the following-
She was in front of the joint one day when a family walked up, and they
wanted to know how to play.
She told them, "I'll guess your weight within 5lbs, your age within 3 yrs, or your birthday month within 2 months. If I get it wrong, you win choice!"
The family conferred.
They came to a decision:
"I'm sorry, Ma'am. We can't wait that long." And they left.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Pennies a day?!?!? Great!!! Start sending them to me.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
They can't wait that long? Reminds me of Nightmare Alley, where Stanton's magic book pitch dives when they go south...he is told that down there, they think the magic is real. I ran into that with the worm at a spot when a woman said, "How can you sell magic?" She thought it was real magic.

By any chance, were those people in Greenville, Texas?
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
Across from me at the Arizona State Fair was a Fool the Guesser Joint. Birth month within 2 months, age within 2 years, and weight within 3 pounds. A very huge learning curve for the stupid folks of Phoenix, who could not grasp the concept. One mark wanted to know what a "birth month" was.
"What do you mean, birth mark?" "Way would I pay you, I already know how old I am." And on and on... Essentially, the joint is set up to sell slum. The guessing is just a method to that miracle of separating the mark from his money.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4303 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-11-15 14:33, drwilson wrote:
I say pennies a day!

Quote:
On 2007-11-15 15:52, jeremysweiss wrote:
Pennies a day?!?!?

Are you guys taking the miss out of my spelling?

The other day on the All Tied Up forum, I posted a message that was suppose to read "I will start saving my pennies." I spelt pennies as "pennis". Needless to say, I got a few comments!

P.S. Paul, I would also be interested in your products. (Or is it, a case of it will cost you 1,000,000 pennies a day? Still pennies, though!)
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1643 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
HUH? You don't want to ever guess right. People pay to fool you and win the beautiful prizes. You aren't going to win a dime if you beat the mark. That's why this game pays right sale privilege instead of the higher hanky-pank privilege that a real game that can be lost pays, not to mention the higher alibi and flat store rates for the games that nobody wins.
"Win beautiful prizes, useful prizes. I'll guess I'll guess your age, your weight, or the color of your car. I'll guess what time you went to bed last night, or what time you got up and went home."
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I must very gently disagree with ringmaster...you do want to guess right most of the time, just not all the time.

Watch guessers on the midway. A very good place to do this is any state fair, where there are usually several. See if they follow the advice of never guessing right...you won't find a single one that works like that.

There are times you have to win and a few situations where it is very good to lose, almost mandatory. A successful guesser works the crowd and makes them laugh and scream.

You have to develop the ability to guess ages and weights and know how to guess birth months. There are other things you can guess, but most of them don't have the right emotional hooks.

You have to flash your joint right...and mostly...

You have to win most of the time, and you need to know when you have to lose and how to do it. If you don't do it like this, no one will want to play your game.

The money does come from selling slum essentially, but that is like saying all you have to do to make money in the restaurant business is selling food for more than you paid for it. The failure rate of restaurants will show that isn't true. Go by this as your guideline as a guesser and you will starve.

It's all about the human interaction and how you work the tip.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1643 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Mota is right, I should have deleted the word "ever" from my post. It's about showmanship, and you should make it look like a challenge.
sir real
View Profile
New user
I've been tied to
85 Posts

Profile of sir real
A girl I knew that worked the guesser for years told me it worked two ways. A bunch of hits in a row gathered a crowd for the "mystic" aspect; a bunch of misses got them lining up for the good ole easy win greed factor. An agent that understands it's a show dressed as a game and is capable of working a crowd can win some nice money with this joint. It's an old one, but a good one for sure.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Those are good points.

I'll share a bit, too... Everyone is being so nice in this section, it is pleasant to be here.

With men, you want to just beat them... They want a fight and want to beat you at your own game.

Women are different... You do NOT want to miss a woman's weight, high, or her age high. This is one of those places you have to go low, or even miss by a mile low. If you guess a fifty year old woman as sixty, she will get visibly depressed and bring the whole emotion down.

On the other hand, if you have a large lady, especially one who is a potential screamer, guess her weight low, but not so low it is unbelievable. She will yell and dance with delight. You will make her day, and her friends will love you. The emotion rolls and you just keep playing.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Excellent thread. More please. Is there a source for solid info? (Maybe a How-To like my Grindshow Manual?) With all the ins and outs? Is it basically just pure psychology or cold reading? I do this for fun for my own amusement, and add location details like country of origin or state one originally came from. Blows 'em away. I don't know how I do it really, but it has to do with precise listening/hearing.

(Hey, mota, how's stuff? Let's do a private secret manual!)
Higley's Doug's Museum
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1643 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
It's psychology and showmanship, with a splash of audience participation. The classic joint has a Toledo no-spring scale with a three foot dial so the tip can watch as the chubby girl steps up on the platform and gets weighed. I remember stores on RAS that had big cotton scales where the gal sat in a hanging seat. The whole point is to get as many marks as possible to play. This is a straight sale, and is recognised as such by show owners and committees who encourage it by charging a low privilege than that charged to games of skill and chance are charged.
Play can run from twenty-five cents [a dollar now for bottom shelf (slum)] to several dollars for top shelf prizes. An experienced guesser usually estimates age and weight fairly easily, so he has to play the tip like a fish on the line. There are usually several levels of prizes (shelves) with slum and various sizes of plush, plus items like mugs, goblets, and clocks (beautiful prizes, useful prizes). A mike is always used.

*PM to Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fool the guesser (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL