The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Melies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
George Melies was a magician and pioneer of the cinema. He discovered the idea of stop motion photographic effects. There is something very magical about his films. Here is a list of his movies that are available online. There is a great deal of charm in these short films.

http://www.geocities.com/melies61/online_movies.html

Todd Robbins
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Many of these were shown on a program I think was called "Magic Years of Cinema". I think it was maybe an A&E program. That was years ago.

I also recalled seeing these movies available from Circuit City's website. Good to see they are still available.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Several years ago at a Yankee Collector's gathering, a talk was given on Melies. It was very entertaining. He certainly was way ahead of his time. Most of the special effects he developed are still being used in films today.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
crisgal
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of crisgal
I remember hearing that Meliès got depressed after his business failed and threw most of his films in the Seine, but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

This is what Wikipedia says:
"Méliès did not grasp the value of his films, and with some 500 films recorded on cellulose, the French Army seized most of this stock to be melted down into boot heels during World War I. Many of the other films were sold to be recycled into new film."

It's a shame either way.
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
He didn't throw the films in the seine, In fact he burned most of them (those old films burned really really well) before they could be taken away from him...
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I read years ago (I believe it was in Forrest J. Ackerman's original "Famous Monsters of Filmland") that Georges Melies invented the dissolve shot as a special effect as a result of a bizarre accident. He was shooting some street scenes, including one of a street car going by. Evidently he accidentally rewound a few feet of film by mistake before he shot the next scen, and when the film was projected he was startled to see the street car dissolve into a hearse.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Not exactly the real anecdote. It wasn't the disolving shot but a simple transformation, he was filming, his camera jamed, he fixed the camera and continued filming, and the street car transformed (instantly) into a hearse.

The disolving shot was invented later.

But Melies was a real "story teller", he made up a lot of things (he said he made his own camera but in fact he just modified a projector) so this anecdote might be another story...
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
There is a new 5-disc DVD set that was just released a month ago, with over 175 of Melies' films, collected from various film archives around the world, click HERE for more info.

It's a little pricey, but it has over five hours of film and is being released by Lobster Films, a French firm with stellar credentials in film restoration and preservation. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Great stuff. He was ahead of his time. Wish I can do that on stage.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
No question he was ahead of his time; sometimes that's a blessing, but mostly it seems to be a curse!

The other interesting thing is that many of his films were pirated and copied by other companies, depriving him of the profits of his labors. We always complain about other magicians stealing our tricks, but this was a theft several degrees above that!

Anyway, I'm glad to see that so many of his films have been saved, preserved and are once again available to view, so that his accomplishments are saved for posterity. SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just happened to run across more information on that Melies DVD set, click HERE to view.

Apparently the DVD set also includes a documentary with Melies' son and widow, as well as a booklet with essays by Melies' biographer. The review also says that David Shepard was involved in the project, which is a good sign -- he has worked on restoring the Chaplin shorts, many of the Buster Keaton films, and is presently the owner and conservator of the old Blackhawk Films library, among many other accomplishments in this field. SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
And yet another good article on the new Melies DVD set, look HERE. SETH
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
S.S. Henry was also a rather creative movie photographer. Although most of his material was for personal use, he did some films of an early IBM convention, I think it was the 1926 convention. He filmed Downs doing the coin star.

He also had a series of film tricks with doll houses. He had three of them that he used to produce various sizes of people, and even a goat.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe some of those films are in the SAM film library.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Melies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL