The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Card Mentalism Book!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davetylermagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of davetylermagic
Hi Guys,
Anyone eyeballed the new Kenton Knepper/Mark Townsend book 'Cards of Influence' yet? I see it's up for pre-sale on Wonderwizards, but I have not heard any reviews yet. I love Kenton's stuff (and know Mark personally) so I'm really looking forward to seeing the book up close.
Dave
http://www.davetaylor-magic.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18808 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm looking forward to it, I love the Knepper/ben highway stuff that's been out this year...very impressive stuff...and ben's a great fella too...
I've asked to be banned
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I am also after this one, but I am not paying the postage prices. $30 for one book to be sent to the UK? Forget it, I'll wait until Alakazam have it.

I'm sure it will be very good, being that it is more about presentation, premise and story than most card books.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1247 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Have it and I'm not really happy with it...
The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Presentation is everything! And if you can dream it, you can do it!
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-11-16 22:07, Dr. Eamon wrote:
Have it and I'm not really happy with it...

Could you tell us more?
TJ
spinki
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of spinki
Dr.
could you tell us more please.....
mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
I would love to hear any opinions on this... positive or constructively critical.
Mark Townsend
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2007-11-20 07:51, mark townsend wrote:
I would love to hear any opinions on this... positive or constructively critical.
Mark Townsend

Why not a some feedback from both sides ? Smile
mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
Hi John,

That's what I meant but did not put it very well, I'd appreciate any remarks/comments - good or bad. No one ever creates perfection and it's often the imperfect bits of our creations that teach us the most.
Mark
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
I've been stung by too many Kenton products. I'd love to know how the book lives up to this claim:

"*A spectator cannot avoid the performer's subliminal influence on repeated occasions, ultimately unable to move or do anything but be influenced "as if hallucinating and smelling laughing gas" "

Construcivly, I'd encourage Kenton to improve his copyrighting and attempt to win back some trust with the public.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
For a long time I thought of Knepper as a crook in a wizards hat and like you felt a little stung. In retrospect I don't think I gave his products a fair test in the real world. I have grown to appreciate his products more and more and I mean the more subtle stuff not just KK.

I appreciate his copy can be a little OTT and generally includes the caveat that some people just won;t get it, which can feel like a bit of a dig if you end up not rating the stuff or thinking it will not work. What products do you feel let down by and why? What material of his do you perform?

My favourite stuff is 'X', 'Q' and 'Ultimately Under'.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Kentonism is the I've got. Wonderwords has some gold in it.

I see the benifit of Kenton's work is his scripting and verbal subtleties. I don't have a great deal of admiration for the majority of his effects - but what really get's me is the way he advertises.

The caveat you refer to is spot on, it also comsumes 50% of the product. He certainly adopts the same methodology as the 'empowerment' camp of the self help industry.

Anything is possible, the secrets of this book are the REAL WORK, it will tell you exactly how to do it, and if you can't - it mean's your just not trying hard enough.
davetylermagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of davetylermagic
Hi again,
Is anyone able to say anything about the book? I love Kenton's thinking and I also find Mark's material very powerful. I know Mark contributed five highly original effects to the book, and I have seen a couple of them performed. While they are not everone's cup o tea, in the right hands they are stunning. For example, Mark performed his effect (from the book) 'Parchmentarot' to the Mystery School and they all found it quite wonderful. His use of an Amythist ball is an ingenious method of getting a spectator to reveal a word, object or card. But the effect that kills even fellow magi/menti is the card revelation I saw him present during his lecture to the Hereford Magical Society. It's called The Well and no-one had a clue as to it's working. Like all Mark's effects it is simple, easy to master, yet elegant, mysterious and inspiring.
So, any comments from anyone who actually has the book?
(I am waiting for the UK dealers to stock it before I get it myself / due to postage).
Dave T
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Does anybody know about a review of this, or, any other threads?
:)
mark townsend
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of mark townsend
Hopefully the book should soon be available here in the UK. Still would love to hear a review or two.
Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Card Mentalism Book!!! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL