We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » $1000-Seance Booklet-Hilford (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cirque75
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
6 Posts

Profile of cirque75
If any one has this book, I'd be most interested to get a review as I've not yet been able to find one.

Thanks in advance Smile
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Not my style, it is geared more for personal readings, if that is your thing you might find it beneficial.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Technically proficient little manual, geared -- as dough noted -- towards more individualised settings.

If you present seances & etc. as straight phenomena, and wish to prey on the credulity of the grieving and/or mentally deficient ala Jo(h)n Edward -- parsing, equivocating, obfuscating and evading in ways that no Clinton would ever dare -- you'll find a wealth of material here.

Should you wish to implement this booklet's advice, be sure to squirrel away a little something from your paid shows to save for some indulgences -- you're gonna need 'em.

Leland
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Perhaps there is a special place reserved for the likes of J. Edward where the inhabitants are forced to communicate messages to fake mediums.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Have to agree with the above comments.

It is more a pamphlet than a book - Certainly not a book like those that Jim Magus produces.
Everything is geared towards making money by convincing people you can perform readings by the tarot etc. - Not for me.

The basic trickery in his seance can be found in Tarbell, which I would recommend much more highly as a source of ideas for a seance. I also thought Raising the Dead for Fun and Profit by Jim Magus worth a read, though I got more out of his Midnight in The Dark Museum.

Both Midnight in The Dark Museum and Baba Gede Nibo's Vo Du Ma Gick are invaluable, not just for the effects, but even more for the mood setting and story telling lessons inherent in them.

Destiny
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
The plot of Docc's seance is that your spirit guide is invoked and compelled to answer one question written down by each of your sitters. The thinking behind it is solid although you will need to check your magician's guilt at the door.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Be aware though. The routine requires that a pile of billets be burned. This is not always practical.
cirque75
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
6 Posts

Profile of cirque75
Thanks to all those who commented. This booklet is definitely not what I'm looking for.

I'm really after something that I can present as a one man theater seance. Not something too dark ( just enough to give them a few things to think about Smile ). A performance for small dinner parties, that can show what it was like in Victorian times.

My mother always told me that if you don't have something nice to say about someone don't say anything at all about Mr J. Edwards.

I probably have more than enough material already at my disposal, but am not sure how to sequence it.

The books I currently have in my collection are:

Seance : Scott Moore-Davis
Annemann's Practical Mental Effects
Patterns for Psychics : Peter Warlock
Annemann's Mental Club Act
13 Step to Mentalism : Corinda
Mind Myth & Magic : T.A. Waters
Swami/Mantra : Sam Dalal
Paramiracles : Ted Lesley
Theater of the Mind : Barrie Richardson
Post Justify, Mentalism with Post-It Notes

Many thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Cirque75 Smile
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
To my mind, and this is just my thinking,
mind-reading/Mentalism is different and separate from Séance work.

Yes, in a Spiritualist Church service they give one-on-one messages from loved ones who've passed on, but those readings end a service,
and not traditionally a Séance where an entity is made known by summonings.

It's a good idea to attend (anonymously!) a few true Spiritualist services to get a feel for the *real* deal, you'll find them listed under churches in the Yellow Pages just like the Episcopalians.

For Séance work
Burger's “Spirit Theatre” has a lot of solid theory.
T. Everett Booking III's "Bigger Book of Boo" is a must,
and Jim Magus books are great, I love "Raising the Dead for Fun & Profit".

There must be a surge of interest in this genre,
as I seem to be listing these books here almost weekly now.

SOOOOOoooo do yourself a huge favor and read all the Séance threads here,
this is a hugely difficult, daunting, and frustrating thing to do well.

Be ready for tons of research into both your subject/topic and Spiritualism,
and for many decisions on how to keep the f/x subtle and realistic.

The worst thing is a "magic show" disguised as a Séance,
almost as bad as Edwards disguised as a real Medium.

Magically,
Walt
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Quote:

The books I currently have in my collection are:

Seance : Scott Moore-Davis
Annemann's Practical Mental Effects
Patterns for Psychics : Peter Warlock
Annemann's Mental Club Act
13 Step to Mentalism : Corinda
Mind Myth & Magic : T.A. Waters
Swami/Mantra : Sam Dalal
Paramiracles : Ted Lesley
Theater of the Mind : Barrie Richardson
Post Justify, Mentalism with Post-It Notes

Many thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Cirque75 Smile

You have a good start laid out in front of you, now put on your thinking cap and go to work, I am sure you have a good story just waiting to come out and remember all first drafts suck.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Cirque,
Just add any good book on cold reading..Try Ian Rowlands book on cold reading to your book shelf...It gives a totally new dimension to seance work.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You need the new JC book Circle of Salt Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
cirque75
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
6 Posts

Profile of cirque75
Once again thanks to all of you. I look forward to running my ideas by the group, once I have gotten past my first draft Smile

It's great to have a community like this one to bounce Ideas off.

Many Thanks

Cirque75 Smile
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Cirque75

From your description of what you intend to create, it sounds like you will be creating a seance designed to be intriguing, rather than truly scary. Is this correct?
cirque75
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
6 Posts

Profile of cirque75
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 00:57, Experimentalist wrote:
Cirque75

From your description of what you intend to create, it sounds like you will be creating a seance designed to be intriguing, rather than truly scary. Is this correct?

You've got it. Have sent you a PM as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » $1000-Seance Booklet-Hilford (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL