The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponges Across and Copper Silver Sponge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

The more I learn about sponge magic the more I seem to love it. I find it really fun and enjoyable to perform and the possibilites are endless. Also in addition to this (and the most important) the spectators seem to love the effects as well.

Now for my question, I have been playing around with the sponges and experimenting with iddeas for the coins across effect, except using sponges, and also the sponge equivalent of the copper silver transposition. So I was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience doing these effects or if you know of any good sources for further information regarding these effects. I would love to read up on other viewpoints for these effects.

Many Thanks.
Okami
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
157 Posts

Profile of Okami
Had the same thoughts a while back and came to the conclusion to try it out with the multiplying sponge balls gimmick. But as I couldn't find my set and I forgot about it. Maybe I will find it now...
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I haven't seen many in the spectators hands versions of these, so I came up with a nice version of my own. One color ball in their hands switches places with the one in my hand. It's not a bunch of typical moves with sponges but that kind of transposition usually isn't in sponge magic anyway. Look up how to do it with non-gimmicked coins and you should be able to do it just as fine with sponges. If you can't come up with anything shoot me a pm and I'll point you in the right direction as far as what might work best for you.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but this is one of those cases in which there is not a complete translation of method.

For example, a CS coin works well because of the nature of coins. But a CS sponge ball would not, because a sponge ball doesn't have "sides," per se.

Some techniques work well with any object -- retention vanishes, etc. But others won't.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I read his post as regarding the effect of copper/silver type transposition, not as a C/S type gimmick. "Sides" would be an irrelevant issue if using another method, such as, an "extra".

Eddie made the point here:

Quote:
Look up how to do it with non-gimmicked coins and you should be able to do it just as fine with sponges.

The concern then would be to put a ball into someone's hand without the ball being seen, and without that action looking suspicious at the time. If Eddie does the trick, apparently he has found a way around that concern.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks for your comments guys. As both Michael and Eddie have commented, I have been looking at non-gimmicked methods. I have been using as mentioned an extra sponge for the copper silver type transposition but want to end clean, so I have thought about the transition from between my hand and pocket. I have been testing this using various palms and vanishes and was wondering what others have come up with in terms of handling.

Also I am interested to hear about any nice routines that you have come with for sponges across as I have come up with one but it is very simple and principal just like a basic coins across, (I Like To Keep Things Simple If Possible.) But am allways open to other ideas and options.

Thanks Again To Everyone For Commenting So Far.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A TT or pull would allow you to make the final change without having to go to the pocket labeled "lame excuse". Smile

The only issue would then be reset.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Michael

Good idea using a pull or TT. I will have to experiment and see what I can come up with.

I also think that going to the pocket is not good unless you can give justification: A good reason for doing this. Something along the lines of asking the spectator to follow the ball e.g monte style. Or asking the spectator in a fun way to wave their magic wand over your hand and when they look at you saying "Oh, you didn't bring one with you, then I guess you better borrow mine" ( At the same time ditching the sponge and pulling out a mini wand). I know this depends on where you are working, the environment, and your personality.

An example of a personality that can simply get away with the magic powder gag is Whit Haydn during his sponge ball routines. (You can see a video demo on his website.

Thanks Again For Your Comments.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not saying this to be contrary. However, it is very important to consider this about sleight of hand vs. gimmicks: If there is a way of performing a "move" with pure sleight of hand and a way that involves a gimmick, but the gimmicked method is visibly cleaner than the sleight of hand method, then use the gimmicked method. Otherwise, use sleight of hand.

Since we can't discuss specifics in this open forum, I'll just suggest that you look at Roger Klause's book In Concert for some clever ideas with a common gimmick and sponge balls. Also, look at Laurie Ireland's book The Sponge Book for some exhaustive information on sponge balls, including an ending that is really impressive.

This book has not, IMHO, received the attention and credit it should have, primarily because it is terse and to the point. But the material is top notch.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Dan Tong in his "Dan Tong, Finally" DVD set has an excellent and logical reason for going to the pocket in his sponge ball routine.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Re: Magic Powder --

Harry Anderson used to do the "Magic Powder" bit, where he would sniff a bit of it up his nose. It was a great gag for comedy clubs.

However, when you borrow material, you need to make sure you know where it is appropriate to use it.

A friend of mine, who now knows better, got so accustomed to doing the magic powder bit that he forgot himself. On a local noontime show, to and audience of young children, he did the bit.

The lady whose show it was called his act short, and he never worked on local television again.

He moved to Las Vegas, and he vowed never to pilfer anyone's material again.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Bill,

You are truly a treasure on the Café! Great story!

One day soon I'm going to play catch-up and read all 13,920 of your posts.

Andy
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
I have Walsh's book on Sponge, but am having trouble finding Ireland's. Is it still in print? What is the availability?

I think people do notice what you wear do and use as props. The unfortunate part for a performer is that you must maximize that first impression- You never get a chance to repeat a first impression. As a teacher I routinely check submissions for plagiarism reminding students that borrowing is fine but you have to give credit for original thought, and if necessary ask permission before using; this includes music. All too often musicians have their work used without respecting creative rights.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Bill,

The moral of the story I guess is keep your wits about you, and be selective with the material/routine that you use/put together.

Nice Story, always good to have these sort of things pointed out in order to stop others making the same type of mistake.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-11-19 17:15, leaycraft wrote:
I have Walsh's book on Sponge, but am having trouble finding Ireland's. Is it still in print? What is the availability?

I think people do notice what you wear do and use as props. The unfortunate part for a performer is that you must maximize that first impression- You never get a chance to repeat a first impression. As a teacher I routinely check submissions for plagiarism reminding students that borrowing is fine but you have to give credit for original thought, and if necessary ask permission before using; this includes music. All too often musicians have their work used without respecting creative rights.

Laurie Ireland founded Ireland's Magic. Ireland's Magic became Magic, Inc. during the 1970's. Dollars to donuts Magic Inc. has it. In fact, I know they do, because I just checked the web site. $10.00.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I think Magic Inc.'s Sponge Book is supposedly authored by Francis Marshall, but it may be the same book I remember from years ago by Laurie Ireland. She was Mrs. Ireland once after all.

Andy
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
As I surmised Bill, you'd be able to help. I just don't have the magical memory for things yet. Much thanks. (BTW did you ever find the items I was interested in your storage area?. ) Andy thank you as well. That tidbit of info now goes into the collective knowledge base until needed again.

What a great place the Café is. something for everyone ......Comedy tonite! no just me trying to practice.
Again thanks Bill and Andy.

Mission accomplished- ordered the books (found a few other things I "needed" as well ).
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Quote:
On 2007-11-18 17:01, Michael Baker wrote:
The concern then would be to put a ball into someone's hand without the ball being seen, and without that action looking suspicious at the time. If Eddie does the trick, apparently he has found a way around that concern.

Sure have! There's no reason why you have to hand spectators objects with their palms face up, their palms being face down is just as natural... probably more so in some cases, as that is the way someone would naturally pick up an object themselves from another surface.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Palms do not have faces.

Hands have palms and backs.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I just tried a coins across with sponge balls, no problem at all. My coins across starts with three coins palmed in the right and one open in the left. I take the open coin with the right and hand it to the spectator to examine. Then a coin 'appears' again in my left. That continues until I have 3 coins in play and can do the coins across.

I decided to be simple with the sponges and just brought out three sponges and said, "What do you think about this?"

I reckon I could have incorporated the sponge across into my normal sponge routine. I start out with one ball and then one at a time two others are produced (in the spec's hands) during the course of the (very short) routine. I imagine that I could do the balls across just before my finale which is the one in pocket two in hand phase.

I may try that to see if it makes the routine too long.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponges Across and Copper Silver Sponge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL