The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Please can you advise me as I am looking for suggestions for an in your hands Monte Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I am looking for a good in your hands 3 card monte type effect that can be done strolling and that requires no table space. I am aware of Color Monte but I am looking for other suggestions. Also for the last phase I would quite like to end up with the chosen card in my top jacket pocket. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know

Many Thanks
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Café member Lew Brooks (of Stack Attack fame) has a nice routine called "Windy Monte" that is done in the hands. The concept is that, growing up in Chicago (The Windy City), he couldn't play 3 card monte on a cardboard box, so he had to learn to play the game in his hands. I don't know how often he logs on, but you might try PMing him.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Check out Monte 3.0 by Gordon Bean.

Frans
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
David Regal has nice monte effect as well in his Premise Power Participation DVD set

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Boris Wild's Wild Monte can be done in the hands.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Hunter's Monte would be good, I learned it from the great DVD The Art Of Card Splitting by Marty Grams. However as the title of the DVD I learned it from suggests, it needs a gaff. But I suppose you may need to use the specs hand as a table at one point or another.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks for all your feedback so far guys.

I don't mind if the effect is slightly gaffed as long as you can end clean and it can be done in the spectators hands.

Frans, Thanks for your suggestion but after I looked at the video demo of the Monte 3.0 by Gorden Bean and even though I am happy to go to my top jacket or shirt pocket once during a rountine I am not happy with doing this several times as I feel its a bit fishy. Also I am not happy with assuming that it is ok just to go to the specs pocket and sticking a card out. I feel that this is a bit to intucive, and I wouldn't be comfy doing that. However I can appreaciate the different strokes for different folks principal
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Ultimonte by by Harlad Cataquet is a great in the hands monte. Very cool by the way as well.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Paul Gordon has a great monte effect called Corner Of Picadilly. It uses the new gypsy cards which makes for some interesting patter.

I have been using this for about a month and it kills !!!
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Oh and the cards are not gaffed
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I agree with rowland,
Corner of Picadilly is a fantastic monte effect. I just got it, so I have not performed it yet.
However, the handling is very nice. Check out a demo on Paul Gordons web site.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Joel Given's Monte 101 is fun. Also, Richard Vollmer's Poor Man's Monte has served me well.

Wesley James has an interesting effect that would work called Japanese Monte

Best,
Vlad
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I have to disagree on Monte 3.0. I have performed this all the time since about November 2005. I have yet to have any one question the routine or the cards. Only one time while traveling and performing at a corporate engagement in Texas did someone want to examine the cards. Of course at the end of the routine, they can look at the cards all they want, they are regular cards. But never once did they want to see in my pocket.

Monte 3.0 kills. After hundreds of performances, I can think of no better in your hands monte. Highly recommended. I have bought a few just to make sure I always have one with me no matter what I am wearing.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Thank you Rowland & Professorwhut. CORNER OF PICADILLY (now available with long antique-looking cards; as opposed to regular 'short' antique-looking cards) is a GREAT (if I say so myself) strolling trick with a KICKER climax.

See my website for a demo on http://www.paulgordon.net/acatalog

Thanks, Paul Gordon
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
If you play around with Ultimate 3 Card Monte by Michael Skinner, it is possible to perform it in the hands
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
I am an admirer of Gordon Bean who has corresponded with me in the past in a most kind and courteous way. Gordon Bean's 'Monte 3.0' is a monte routine with a strong ending (similar in a way to Paul Gordon's 'Corner of Picadilly') However the routine is admittedly a bit short in length for my liking. I have however adapted it with another of Gordon's wonderful effects called 'Temptation' to produce an effect that is both longer and stronger.The two effects thus reinforce each other.Both effects can be achieved without the use of a table.

Don't worry about using the pocket. If you do this skillfully (as both of the Gordon's do in their respective presentations) then there will be no heat on the pocket at the end of the trick.

I have viewed the demo for Paul Gordon's effect and it looks like a well structured and well thought out effect with a strong visual impact. (I especially like the patter Paul uses in the demo to switch one of the reds for a black whilst seeming to show the face of the black card in a most fair way. Very clever thinking Paul!) I will recreate the effect for myself as it looks to be using the normal basic techniques involved in monte and if I like it in operation then I may look at purchasing his wonderful antique looking cards that I think really do add a something special to the effect.

A while back now I spoke to Gordon Bean via an E-mail in which he hinted that he was working on a new Monte effect. If anyone is aware of anything new from him in this respect then please let me know!

With best wishes Andy.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Thank you Andy. Corner Of Piccadilly is a trick I do at every gig; often twenty times a night! It's a fav of mine. It's now available using Christian Schenk's excellent long cards. They fit higher in the pocket which aids a certain move!

Best, Paul Gordon
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Here is a wonderful reference for Monte effects: http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magmonte.htm
It has a list of effects with brief descriptions as well as a list of references in which Monte effects are described. It's well worth your time to browse the list and see how many different variations there are on the Monte theme.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Mark Mason teaches a diabolically simple monte you can make yourself in about 4 seconds (no kidding) with a simple office supply you can get anyplace for less than $2. It kills. And the simplicity makes it all the more fun to do, and how close up you can do it!

It's on his "Real World Magic" DVD which I cannot endorse highly enough. I'm sure there's a number of places you can find it, but here's one I came across after a quick search (Mark's UK-based, so I don't think you want to get it shipped from the UK ;-)

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-T......2065.htm

Enjoy!
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
You could also buy the dvd daryl does the full monte and make up your own routine which is what I've done, plus you get to learn the standard on the table version which plays very well for the public.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Please can you advise me as I am looking for suggestions for an in your hands Monte Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL