We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dean Dill's explosion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
2003 user
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of 2003 user
Please post a review of Dean Dill's "explosion" coin trick. Does it need a lot sleight of hand or just by the gimmick?

Thanks
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Certainly, just give the thousand bucks and I'll try it out for you. Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
It requires both sleight of hand (what Dean Dill references as a purse palm), delicate timing, and finesse. If you do matrix or other assembly effects already, this might be a nice addition. Not the most practical of effects though, and the gimmicks are delicate.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
I have only seen one person do this in person. (St.Joseph's Jason D. who won KC IBM close up contest with it as part of his routine)

When done in the right place it is awesome.

IMHO it take more than just the coins. You would have to work with them and the "purse palm" to make it look magical. In Jason's hand it is.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
Thanks Harris,where have you been?
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
May I know what is a "purse palm" ??
Thanks
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
XMan

I believe it is in Bobo's

Hey Jason,

It has been a busy season working the Nearly Normal Programs as well as my regular
counseling gig.

Also stay tuned. In a couple of weeks I hope
to launch the new and improved nearly normal
web site. The artist putting it together is awesome and also a perfectionist. It
will have a few magical surprises. Erich is
going to use drawings as well as digital photos. (I think he even gave me a bit more hair.)

I have been going to S.A.M. Talk on Yahoo since I can't get into this site(Magic Café)
at work. It is a blocked site on the school system. The Magic Café rules.

Although my programs are "puppet heavy" I like to include some strong magic.
Explosion is definetly strong. In our area it
is associated with Jason D. I think I will start doing what I call a Nearly Normal Explosion, my application of Rick Johnsons "Lids"

Keep growing and glowing.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Explosion combines gimmick and technique in a fascinating way.
It combines most of the moves and plots of the matrix routines he teaches on coinmagic 2000.

The techniques used are not particularly difficult for someone who's done his homework, however it needs a very delicate handling and expert timing, which is much more difficult to master.

Besides that it is almost impossible to perform the routine without his awesome close-up pads. So if you decide to do it be sure you have a good and large surface to work on.
Which brings us to the biggest drawback:
You really have to ask yourself if you have the venue (or can create it)to perform this thing. This can not be done at the average strolling gig or tablemagic performance. It is a piece that demands and deserves a real "intimate" setting, as Dean used to call it.

I see it as a theatrical piece of close up magic and treat it like that.
If you do, you have the most magical coinroutine you could wish for with a climax that will never be forgotten!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Masilon
View Profile
New user
Milan-Italy
53 Posts

Profile of Masilon
I saw a magician performing it with a beautiful music in background during a closeup competition. He won!

Luca
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
For a thousand bucks it should come with an entire string quartet that plays everytime you do the effect! Smile
William Holcomb
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1103 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
It should be illegal for anyone (except me of course) to perform Explosion! You start off with four coins and some cool assemblies, and then an instant assembly occurs, and then all of a sudden you've got 16 coins that have appeared from nowhere. I wish that Mr. Dill would charge $10,000 bucks for this effect. It'd still be worth every cent! Exaggeration??? Experiencing this routine firsthand will elicit emotions which will remind you why you got into magic in the first place. I can't think of too many routines that can do that.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
MJ, have you performed the effect for laymen, and if so, what has been the reaction, especially compared to the reaction you get to other coin effects you perform?

I've seen Dean perform Explosion and know exactly how it works so for me it didn't elicit the kind of emotions you experienced. At the bottom line, though, I don't care if an effect fools me, I care only if it fools laymen and how they react, which is the basis for my question...how does this play in the real world?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2003-02-26 02:29, MJ Marrs wrote:
Exaggeration???

Yes
Click to visit:
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Some time ago there was a thread in which I mentioned a performance of mine where I did Ult.3-Fly. The scientist for whom I performed were convinced there was an extra coin in play and were entertaining themselves in guessing where the extra coin was. Although their guesses were rather ridiculous it was not very fulfilling for me...

As an encore I did Explosion. They were absolutely silent for a few seconds and then roared with laughter, adressing one particular analyzing type with "Well, did he just pour 20 coins from his sleeve or what?"

That WAS very fulfilling I can say.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
The explosion coins and the routine are a piece of art.It goes far beyond just be a trick.Everytime I have preformed this effect it has brought every kind of emotion from tears to overwhelming laughter.I also agree that this effect is worth way more than what its priced for!--Jason Dean
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1103 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Larry, you wanted to know what kind of reaction Explosion gets with laymen:

I'm glad that you're trying to appreciate the routine from a layman's eyes.
I think that magicians often have a difficult time removing themselves from the actual workings behind a magic trick. We are aware of shells, and rough and smooth and stuff like that, so sometimes it isn't easy to appreciate the real power of certain effects. For me, so far, Explosion has been an extremely powerful routine to perform for laymen. A reputation maker.

Being a scientist myself, I often perform for scientists, engineers, doctors and other groups who are very analytically-minded (and who have the dough to reward handsomely someone for a well-polished evening of entertainment). These guys are problem solving machines who love the challenge of trying to figure out magical effects. Some laymen are bothered by magic, other laymen just like to enjoy it, while most of the folks who I perform for take pleasure in attempting to methodically dissect the workings behind magic tricks. I only perform Explosion on special occasions, but when I do, my audiences let me know that experiencing this particular routine was one of the most amazing things they've ever witnessed.

Dan Watkins: I sincerely believe that I have gotten MANY times over (both artistically and financially) what I paid for such a marvelous routine. That's no exaggeration.

I don't perform every trick that enters the magic market. Rather, I've decided to carefully choose a smaller number of routines which I feel will both fit my character and play well with audiences. I think that I chose wisely with Explosion. Best of luck to anyone else who is looking to learn an extra special routine!!
2003 user
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of 2003 user
I think there are more routine can use with this special coins set.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I can dup this effect with a table. Open handed and no funny moves. Can someone post an video of this? I've came up with a better explosion that uses the spectators hands and arms.

Lee
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Quote:
On 2003-02-27 18:43, pyro_magic wrote:
I can dup this effect with a table. Open handed and no funny moves. Can someone post an video of this? I've came up with a better explosion that uses the spectators hands and arms.

Lee

Mr. Pyro
where do you live? I really would like to see this and with your permission
I wouldnot mind video taping it and post it on the net.

Please PM
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Don't worry i will make a a video on The Video Pot. I just need a couple of more coins. Send me some Lins and i can do it Smile.

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dean Dill's explosion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL