The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Bergen in "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I recently bought this nicely restored movie just to watch Bergen and McCarthy, and I was simply blown away by Bergen's manipulative skill. I know I'm not telling anyone who participates in this board anything new, but I just had to gush a little about him.

As you know, Charlie had exactly two movements--mouth and head. Yet through his manipulation Bergen achieves an extraordinary range of emotions and attitudes with Charlie. In fact, much of the time, Charlie's acting is much less wooden than Bergen's. As with all great comic duos, Bergen knew who should be the more memorable in the act!

Maybe it's because of my love of vent that I found the Bergen/McCarthy performance much more amusing than that of W.C. Fields, the star of the movie. There are some classic Fields lines ("Go away, kid, you draw flies!") and some good physical bits, but I think B/Mc steal the picture. There is, by the way, a very funny bit in which Fields tries to do a vent act.

If you want to study one of the greats, I strongly suggest you buy/rent this movie. One note of warning: there is one shockingly racist scene in which Eddie "Rochester" Anderson appears. One can only shake one's head and remember that the movie was made in a different era.

Bob

P.S. Watch for cameos by Mickey Rooney and Margaret Hamilton.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Bob,
Thanks for the review. I haven't seen that film in decades. I'll check it out.

Oliver
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
And thank you. I, too, hadn't seen it in decades.

Do I see a bit of Bergen influence in the choice of your and your figure's costumes? Smile

Bob
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I hadn't thought about it but I see what you mean. I really just picked a look that worked with the name Oliver Twist.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Mr Bergen is really a great vent Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
This is one of my favorite movies. I never get tired of Bergen. He could imbue his characters with so much personality!
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Yesterday my family and I saw the new Disney movie "Enchanted." Bergen is briefly seen on a television program with Mortimer Snerd.

Bob
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
Hello;
Is this film on DVD yet?
Silking
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
"You Can't Cheat An Honest Man" is available on DVD as part of a W.C. Fields collection at Amazon.com.

Bob
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Bergen's THE master figure manipulator. He didn't have the best lip control but, boy oh boy, watch how he made Charlie look alive through manipulation.

If you can't get this film, you may want to check him at youtube.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
This is now available on Netflix.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Guess I should have waited a few years and saved myself some trouble.
I had a collection of old vent movies and videos on vhs and at some point, I bought a dvd player/burner, (this was before they were commonly standard equipment on new computers) and transferred all to dvd.
Now that it comes up, it occurs to me I haven't watched them in a while, might be time to get them out again.....
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Yesterday I saw another Bergen's full-length film, "Letter of Introduction," and I, like Bob, was also blown away by Bergen's masterful manipulation of Charlie.

With just mouth and head movements, Charlie seemed more real, life-like than some actors there. Smile

We can really learn a lot from watching Bergen...
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
People talk about Bergen's manipulation, but it wasn't just that, it was his whole way of interacting with and relating to Charlie (and the others). Some people just have 'something', a way about them, and Bergen just had a manner and way about him that was a natural thing and not something anyone could duplicate.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I was reading Jeff Dunham's book and he points out what Blueshawk says above. That's where Jeff learned how important it was to develop the character of the figure instead of just tell jokes!

Once I sat down and actually transcribed a 10 minute act of Bergen and later did it with Jeff... some of the lines just don't "read" funny, but it's the character of the figure and it's delivery that makes it funny.

Gary
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Another good movie that shows Charlie as a character and not just a dummy is Charlie McCarthy Detective. Harder to find but worth it.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks for sharing this. I am going to try and find a copy of these films.
Mister Mystery
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
There are so many, but another wonderful example of Bergen's brilliance is HBO's 1978 Vent Event. Even a few months before he died, his manipulation was genius. There's a point in his act where Bergen is explaining something and waves his hand, and Charlie actually follows Bergen's hand movement in such a natural way. I was watching this with my wife and kept rewinding that part and saying to her, "Look at that! Do you see? Just brilliant!" I am fortunate that I am married to an extremely supportive wife who appreciates brilliance in all forms! ;o)

I just learned from Al Steven's terrific book (which I highly recommend) that none of the Charlies had a ball and socket neck, so Bergen had to hold Charlie's head up at all times. Knowing this, I appreciation Bergen's manipulation even more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Bergen in "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL