The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinese Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The coins from Denny and Lee that I recently got were every bit as nice the the ones Stevens sells and they come in different colors. They are just sleightly smaller than a Morgan silver Dollar.
They are the same kind of Chinese coin that Curtis Kam used on one or two of his videos.
I tried for years to get Johnson dollar sized coins to no avail....Then recently tried to get some that Todd was making but he really had a run of bad luck with them and they are not released. Sassco was sold out of them. Denny and Lees was the only shop that had them for a reasonable price and great quality. $30 for four as opposed to $130 from Stevens.

I use them for the 'Misty Like A Dream' routine by Kurtz and also for spell bound and as Dave pointed out they work fantastic for a Silver-Brass transpo.
Curtis has some killer routines for their use as well and Wild coin is amazing with them because of the sound when dropped into a cup.
The quality is important when dealing with sound or auditory illusions in your magic.
enjoy,
Mobius
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have recently become fascinated by the Chinese coins. The ones I am selling are simulations of old real coins. They are the copper clad FengShui coins with a square hole in them.
In researching the coin, I found that very few magicians are using this, yet I have worked out some unique routines with them.
The sizes vary by mm, I have some on ebay with pictures
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......DSelling

This post is not a solicitation, but more of my research as to the viability of using a different coin. The two best sizes are not shown on ebay, but there is a coin that is just an eighth of an inchlarger than a half dollar, and I can also get one that is just a tad larger than a dollar. The biggest find is the jumbo matching finale coin available in 4.25" and 5.25 inches (I will be importing these from Hong Kong to sell for under $4 each.).

The bottom line is price, the coins vary from excessively cheap to excessively expensive dependent on where thet are marketed. They are sold as Feng Shui coins, or I-ching coins. Some are sold in configurations with red ribbons in clusters for good luck.
Unlike the high quality manufactured coins, these are old looking. Again, not pricey like the magic shop coins.

The coins are half the thickness and weight of US coins, and have a dull copper patina. But I have beenable to manipulate several coins during a routine with very little noise and the weight lends itself to a lot of interesting productions.
Contact me for more info.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Mobius, Curtis is using thin, feng shui coins on fists of fury (beijing coins across, the goblet), not the heavier/thicker type of coins. I believe he also use them on the Deceptions in Paradise Wild coin routine. I have very large hands - I'd be very impressed to see someone do the first two routines with a thicker coin - I doubt it would be practical. It wouldn't be a problem with the wild coin.

I used to have the coins from Denny, and you are correct, they are not the same diameter as a silver dollar. I could not use them for Misty Like a Dream, or any stack work for that matter, because of this discrepancy, but whatever works for your hands! I use the magicians coins for Misty becuause they are the exact diameter of a silver dollar, and have a nice sound which is necessary for the routine.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Wow. Around noon today I received 4 of Todd's new dollar size toned Copper Chinese Coins plus a [. I've been handling them off and on all day long and I have to say without a doubt these are the best "Chinese" coins I've ever seen or held. They are beautiful coins and they feel and sound perfect. I could not be happier with these. I'm sure the the brass ones are just as beautiful.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
My local coin shop has some old, authentic Chinese coins, about quarter size, for about a quarter apiece. They are lighter than the repos, as the metal they are made up isn'tvery good, but the obvious age mades up for that I think. See what you can find. Also, I've tun into "Chinese" coins (foreign symbols, hole in the middle) at new-age shops as well.
Marc
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Todd Lassen's new chinese coins are gorgeous.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/mec.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinese Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL