The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » College Student Job? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Ok well I am going off to college next year and the smallest place I am applying to has about 10,000 students. I figure that my time in college would be an excellent venue for street work as I could always go out into the surrounding city and start up a few shows.

So far I am only a hobbyist magician with just a few actual performances under my belt (birthday parties and at school). Is street magic a wise direction to go in? I am going to need some extra cash to pay off loans and buy whatever I can without going into tons of debt.

Basically what I am asking is:
Can I realistically expect to make more performing street magic than I would working at a restaurant as a waiter?
I would also really appreciate a few pointers as to where I should start if you guys think it is a good idea. Right now I am a card and coin guy and a total newbie to street performances, what do I need to know to do street shows?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I don't know. Are you any good? I feed my family doing magic. Where are you going to school? Are there a lot of tourists? What's the population of the town? Don't count on students to take care of you, they don't have any money.

koz
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Performing on the streets is really tough. You say you are a hobbyist. To perfomre on the streets you have to be really good, if you think youre good then youre probably not good enough.It is a very tough crowd. I don't think you should be heading for the streets. You said you work as a waiter. Ask the manager at the restaurante you are working at if it would be okay for you to do some magic. That way you can earn some extra cash.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Good point about the students not having money, I didn't put much thought into that...

I will either be going to college in Rochester New York, Pittsburghs PA or Philidelphia PA so yes big cities with decent to high tourism.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea...well if you can find a good place to work...yea ...you could be ok....if you are any good?....Smile that does have something to do with it doesn't it?...

koz
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I would suggest a restaurant over the streets in your situation. If you are table hopping in a restraunt you are sure to get paid, the streets- You never know.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey, I always get paid, knock on wood. If it doesn't rain or snow or there's a war or I don't get arrested or, hey maybe I don't always get paid. I do it for a living. Hey, maybe I should get a job as a waiter in a restaurant. Na, they would get upset when I told the rude kid to shut the h**l up. Better stick to the streets, travelling the world, with no regard to right or wrong. Yea the streets. Smile

koz
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I am good but I do understand that working the streets is hard.
I may see if I can get a job in a restaurant instead and then if I have extra time I could always try out the streets.
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
Another idea for your consideration...

Once you get on campus start spreading the word that you are a magician to student organizations and university departments. You would be surprised how many events that come up at a university which may be great for a magician to do strolling magic. My university was around 20,000 and every quarter there were at least three or four different events that the university would put on on weekends to give students an alternative to going out drinking. I performed at two such events that were hosted by my school's residence life and on-campus student advocacy organizations.

I did a few hours of strolling magic and made around 100 dollars each for these performances. Be sure, though, that you do not go undercutting other working pros who may vie for these gigs. In my case, had I not presented my services they would have used that portion of the budget on something else, as there are no active pros in the area (rural area).

I even had to turn down two or three follow up requests to do magic at birthday parties from parents who had seen me at these events. At the time (as now) kids shows weren't really my thing, but if you've got good kids material this could be another possibility.

Looking back I wish I had done this more often, as the experience was a very good one. The moral of the story is that most people probably don't think about magic when planning for these events, but if you put it out there as a possibility and do a good job, you might just find yourself doing fairly regular gigs all year long.

Good luck!
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I paid my way through school working as a bartender at a resturant. It was better than working at a bar. Less noise to deal with, less hectic, and people did not hang out at the bar as long (once their table came up, they were gone) making resetting, and repeat tricks no problem. I found people left me bigger tips than the other bartenders! Plus you get paid more hourly to be a bartender than a waiter, and you have more time with the customers. Waiting tables (which I did too) is a much harder venue to try and perform in.
Smile
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I'm almost in the exact same situation as Zauber280. I'm working my way through college doing restaraunt, street, and strolling magic. I've done a fair amount of campus events too. In fact I've got a big show for over 1000 people coming up in two days. It's going to be a big mentalism routine. College is such a great place to do magic. Not to mention it's the best way to meet girls! Trust me.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
DO IT!

There are absolutely no guarantees. When you are starting out, you will not make much money. That shouldn't stop you. Get a real job to pay the rent, but get out there and do it, its the only way. And don't be afraid to suck.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
I just ordered Gazzos Cups and Balls DVD. I hear it has some nice tips for working the streets. I am going to give it a shot but will back up my income by working in a restaurant I think.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
i have heard that the "art of street performing" is also good if you want to work the streets Smile

koz
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Go out and try it. Ask people if they want to see magic. It's lots of fun, and you can get loads of cash. And free meals (remember that f you're ever broke, with no food)
You'll find out if it's for you or not just by trying it.
-Vincenzo
thief74
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of thief74
I will soon be off to college also and was wondering how good you have to be to actually make decent money. Right now I am strictly a card magician, do you think it is possible to support yourself if you only do cards and are pseudo-good at it?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
You don't have to be good you have to be great! Smile

The thing about street magic is if you want to make money it can not be something you do. It has to be something you are.

I practice 20 or 30 hours a week. I am constantly writing, working, creating, testing, etc.

Then I go to work and do shows. Guys who do it just to make a quick buck never really like it. It is hard work. No kidding.

If Street magic weren’t something that picked me I would work in restaurants. The hours are better, the pay is guaranteed, the atmosphere is better, you are out of the elements, it is cleaner, etc.

If you were just looking for a part time job and a positive cash flow, restaurants would be a better business decision.

This is not to say this type of work is easier because it really isn’t it is just a lot more stable. You could always do both and see how you like the street. Be forewarned though, the streets are tough. You will toil. I remember Joe Turner told me one day in an email, “That is one tough way to make a buck” he isn’t kidding either. If you don’t love the street there are much easier ways to make a buck in magic. It is a good thing to try just for the experience but it is something few of us are silly enough to stick with when there are so many better ways to make money. I think we are nuts, but you know what? I like being nuts. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Dan,
What is it about the street that pulls you out of the restaurant venue and compells you to beat the bricks? You piqued my curiousity. It sounds like it's not a profession for you, but a vocation. A calling.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
James,

Yeeshe..

You always ask these questions that make me think.

You are right it is more of a vocation. There is something extremely humbling and satisfying to me personally about having the ability to go stand on a street corner pretty much anywhere in the English speaking world and bring a good time to people I have never met before.

I don’t do magic to look cool or smart. I have no desire to make people believe I have the ability to make the impossible happen. When I stand on a street corner I want people to know that magic does exist in the world. I want them to know that they can make magic happen. It isn’t me it is us. I have no show without them. There is no magic without them. Magic is worthless without someone to appreciate it. I am not a master of the impossible. A group of people together has the ability to make the impossible seem very real even if it is only for a very short time.

When someone comes along and shares this it tickles the hell out of you. I know. When I was four or five years old my uncle Tootsie yanked his thumb off in front of me and sent it skittering across the floor. To this day that stupid kids trick is still one of the most magical moments of my life. It ticked me. I laughed till I cried when I saw Tootsie in his baggy pants chasing that tin thumb across my parent’s kitchen floor with a hand that to me was still magically missing a thumb.

It was done without pretense. There was no stage, mysterious music, half naked girls, or big boxes. It was just him, a tin thumbtip, and me. It was in a word a blast.

When I stand on the street I am bringing a show to a group of people who had no idea they wanted to see a show until they stopped. There is no pretense, no promise, and no expectation.

When they begin to laugh and their eyes bug out of their head. I am giving them something my uncle Tootsie gave me when I was four, an honest to God moment of wonder. There is no finer feeling in the world (do you remember the first time it happened to you?).

It still tickles me senseless, I’m grinning as I write this. They are giving me as much as I am giving them. More I guess if you include the money they stick in my hat.

For me the only place it is this honest is on the street. It is a simple exchange and they decide if we are going to do magic or not.

I have stood in the rain, the snow, and the broiling sun for it. I will stand there for hours on end bringing it the best I can as long as they want to watch it. The toil is sometimes the thing that makes it worthwhile. What good is anything that is easy? The most satisfying moments in my life have always been hard earned.

I guess that’s why it isn’t something I do it is something I am.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Dan,
Thanks for another great collection of thoughts! I wanted to wait a while till others had a chance to view your post before saying thanks. Love your story about your uncle Toostie and his wayward thumb! You made that moment come alive for me too. I don't remember the first time I had that feeling. I'm going to stick that in my subconcious and see what answer I get. I usually have a good memory for the past and especially for seminal experiences from the past.

I think one of the reasons I asked you about this is because I'm trying to figure out what my compulsion has been to want to hit the streets and why am I working toward that goal myself. I think you hit the nail on the head for me when you said your audience, "are giving me as much as I am giving them. More I guess if you include the money they stick in my hat." I also like what Koz says about it being ultimate freedom.

Your comments about you and your audience being a team give me a sense of what your show must be like. Next time I'm back in Jersey on a visit, I'd like to take a train up to Boston and say hi and catch your show.
Take care,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » College Student Job? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL