The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Anyone Done this Gaffed Card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Not a gaffed card aficianado, but was wondering if gaffs had ever been made of a card that looked like the box.

In other words, regular face/spot card on one side, while the other looks like a Bike/Bee/Tally Ho Box.

I was looking at a box, and the thought popped into my head.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5413 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I have one that Marty "Martini" Grams produced. It looks like the side of the box with the Bicycle name and spade logo. Very clever!
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
It is the card that our Steve Brooks here marketed as the "Free Fall" gimmick.
Very clever. The handmade ones - with a real cardbox top as back - are much better than the printed ones!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I am currently working on an acrobatic card with the same idea. A face card, but when you let it go it changes to the box design.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Mark;
There are a whole lot of things described with this gaff and variations of it in Don England's "Gaffed To The Hilt" by Jon Racherbaumer & Richard Kaufman.
Ed Marlo, Brother John Hamman, Paul Harris, Bernard Bilis, Robert McDaniel, Tom Craven, and Don England all experimented with this style gaff. There are a lot of neat things that can be done with it.

Joey, years ago I made an acrobatic card for manipulators that had the case on the flap so when the card was placed on top of a deck, and the flap cocked, it could be held facing the spectators and looked like a cased deck. With a snap of the fingers, the case visually vanished (the flap closed) and the deck was fanned immediately and then used for split fans and such. It was very popular for me in the mid 80's then went by the wayside. I think the 80's were a time of gaff collectors who tried to make or have made just about every possible gaff under the sun.lol

Bernd, you are right Steve's "Free Fall" is excellent and the ideas and tips in the book that comes with it are well worth the money.

If you look back through magic publications, books, and magazines, there are a lot of cool gaffed cards hidden away that would be fun to play with today. In fact many of those old gaffed cards are being reworked, tweaked and put on the market all the time. That is one of the reasons I love books so much, there is so much great material that has long been forgotten that just sits in print waiting for someone to re-discover it again.
All the Best
Marty
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4015 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thanks for the answers, folks - I appreciate the knowledge.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
truckbonner555
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of truckbonner555
The ellusionist gaff decks come with two of those. On one side there is a regular bicycle back and on the other looks exactly like the front of a card box.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2728 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I think that Bob King put out a trick with that kind of gaff....

Tom
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 22:58, martini wrote:
Greetings Mark;
There are a whole lot of things described with this gaff and variations of it in Don England's "Gaffed To The Hilt" by Jon Racherbaumer & Richard Kaufman.
Ed Marlo, Brother John Hamman, Paul Harris, Bernard Bilis, Robert McDaniel, Tom Craven, and Don England all experimented with this style gaff. There are a lot of neat things that can be done with it.

Joey, years ago I made an acrobatic card for manipulators that had the case on the flap so when the card was placed on top of a deck, and the flap cocked, it could be held facing the spectators and looked like a cased deck. With a snap of the fingers, the case visually vanished (the flap closed) and the deck was fanned immediately and then used for split fans and such. It was very popular for me in the mid 80's then went by the wayside. I think the 80's were a time of gaff collectors who tried to make or have made just about every possible gaff under the sun.lol

Bernd, you are right Steve's "Free Fall" is excellent and the ideas and tips in the book that comes with it are well worth the money.

If you look back through magic publications, books, and magazines, there are a lot of cool gaffed cards hidden away that would be fun to play with today. In fact many of those old gaffed cards are being reworked, tweaked and put on the market all the time. That is one of the reasons I love books so much, there is so much great material that has long been forgotten that just sits in print waiting for someone to re-discover it again.
All the Best
Marty

Good post! Thanks, Marty.

Robert
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1089 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Brother John Hammon uses the gaff and can be found in The Secrets of Brother John Hammon book.

I have used it with the case printed on one side and a back on the other to do a signed card to card case and being able to show the box front and back before I produce the signed card, using a one handed glide as I'm opening the case and finishing as normal, and cleaning up is a breeze.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
I believe the card/case gaff should be credited to British magician Allan Lambie. He published the idea in a short lived magazine Tannen put out for the hobbyist around the sixties.

One of the more "off the wall" ideas for it is Paul Harris's "El Weirdo" which appeared in one of his early books.

Paul.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I didn't read through the entire posting, but thought I'd add in another idea. Larry Becker makes a card that is a Bicycle box on one side, card back on the other. I've used that card in a couple of different routines and it is incredibly deceptive...

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Steve Brooks' Free Fall is by far the best made and best looking effect!

Stever
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Tribute to varone gives you one
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Anyone Done this Gaffed Card? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.41 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL