The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Levetation (Baldducci). (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of John McCormack
Hello,

I like Paul Harris's style of magic and choice of effects (I love the AoA books) and am aware that he's been using the Badducci long before David Blaine without the technical support (no disrespect to David Blaine, he brought the illusion to life, he made it believable, even if the method he used isn't pure, so to speak).

So, for those of you who care for this effect and have gotten good results from it where is the best place to learn it?
Is the Mike Maxwell video good (It has other levetations as well)?
Or would the Paul Harris video be a better choice?

I live in the U.K. and the method of this effect seems to be common knowledge as it has been exposed on television and in magazines, but I would like to learn it properly and perform it occasionally under certain conditions. I figure if I perform some real miracles first then pull of the Badducci for one or two people not in the know it could have an astonishing effect.
If I can get someone (just one or two people) to believe I can levatate myself, impromptu and with no fakery at all right before their very eyes I would have received my moneys and practice times worth.

Aside from a resource, how often do you perform this illusion and what have the reactions for you been like over the years?
How do you present it? How do you go into it? Do you only do it sparingly and for one or two people at a time and under what conditions? Do you get better results performing it indoors (in your/someones home or a venue) or in the middle of nowhere (outside).

Can lighting add to the illusion, shadows or light from a certain angle prehaps?

I've heard black shoes and long trousers are important factors, what do you find best, do you do it in (clean) trainers or (smart) jeans? Do black souls make a big difference?

Thanks,

John.

P.S. BTW, you wouldn't believe how I first became aware of the Baldducci.

I got into magic when I was about 14.

When I was in primary school, my first year, I was 5. My teacher Mrs. Charles (we had the same teacher for almost every class) in P.E. (gym), did the Badducci for all of us and then told (or showed) us how it was done. So I always knew about it from the age of 5 long before I got into magic so it never really seemed special to me, I thought it was something that everyone knew (most people know now thanks to the Masked Magician among other things). But I realise now that not everyone knows it and it is an illusion, and if performed well enough (proper technique, proper build up and proper presentation) it will even fool people who know the secret.
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
John:
I used to do the Balducci (I learned it as a bonus to another illusion I purchased). I am not a big fan of the trick, and think there are better levitations out there. Do a search for "The Elevator" which has gotten a 10/10 review from online visions. I would spend my time and money learning an illusion which is not as well known. Just my opinion.
Smile
John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Fair point, but I think I've already mentiond what I want to do with this illusion. I'm not interested in the levatation being my number 1 reputation maker, I don't want to levetate for every person I meet.

I think that both levatations have advantages and disadvantages. Anyone aware of the effect and methods of the illusions will see why of course.

Thanks,

John.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I don't think that you need to see a video for the balducci if you know how it works.
John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Look at your quote at the bottom there.

I would buy the video hoping it would teach some of the nuances and how to present it and under what contitions so I can present it as a feat of magic not just that common
"Look, I can stand on one leg trick".

Aside from that, I wouldn't feel comfortable performing something I didn't purchase the rights to, so to speak, "Balducci Levetation" was invented tried and tested by Balducci himself and was found to be successful when properly done and presented.
I want to get to know this routine and have already stated what I want to do with it, and as Dai Vernon said among many others,
"The simple secret of a trick in no way qualifies you to perform it".

I rest my case.

John.

P.S. I know your a fan of Brad, so I wouldn't expect you to understand or accept my opinion if you've been learning from him.

BTW, you didn't respond to my post in the cards forum, "Card magic vid". Prove me wrong and show me that you do have strong well thought through opinions of your perception of magic.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I see what you mean, but you can't buy it right from Balducci. I'm not saying that you should just go and do it with no practice or routine.

Where is the post "Card magic vid" I can't find it.
John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

It's in the "Pick a card" forum. It's probably on page 3 or 4 by now.

John.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
*sorry posted in wrong thread*
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Levetation (Baldducci). (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL