The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » PICTURES OF MY NEW SHADOW BOX (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Hi to all, Just wanted to get your opinions on this recent shadow box I have just completed, specially, appearance, size "eye view" and most important deceptive base/box......The box needs a few more things such as the side and back panels, and the back light. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link for the pictures..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11047925@N05/show/
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Magia- Very nice work... this looks professional and I'm sure it will hold years of great performances. The only thing I could suggest is a tad bit of scenic work... Maybe som turnbuckles or graphics; however, this is only personal preference.

Good job and thanks for the pictures!

-Bryan
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not bad at all. Looks well constructed, should hold up for quite a while. Table looks great as well.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Looks great!

Bairefoot
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Thanks for your response.... My biggest concern is the deceptive part of the illusion... I've been doing magic for so long...that sometimes is hard to view an illusion in the eyes of the audience....and determine what is deceptive and what is not....
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
Looking at it from a audience point of view it may be more believable if the side panels were removable instead of folding down. This is just my personal thoughts that I would do if it was mine
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I was going to make an observation to the negative, but then I saw your other post referring to this as a surrounded "Shadow Box".

Looks good!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Dave, great observation but by having the folded down version increases the load, which would be impossible to hide if the doors were removable. Thanks for your post....
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
Oh ok, I just took another look at it and I see what your saying.
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
One thing I would of liked is to have the doors open automatically....i.e. some type of remote controlled....I also need the light to turn on and off by control....any thoughts?
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Presumably your assistant can turn the lights on and off... and maybe even operate the doors?
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
That is an option but I would perfer to have full control...
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The light control is the easy part-
https://www.gethandyswitch.com/ver4/index.asp
Sorry about the obnoxious infomercial host.
Doors opening automatically- Personally, I think it is a bad idea. It might make it seem too mechanical. Fall open, maybe.
Just m'thoughts
Gwyd
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Gwyd, thanks for that link. This is just perfect.....I will definitely purchase this item....
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
What did you use for the texture on the box frame? Did you paint this or was it something store bought?
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Chris, for the frame I used laminate which covered the birch plywood frame. You can special order different colors with different variations of designs from Home Depot. Hope this helps.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
That's a well-built box! I have a suggestion however...Now the box continues all the way down to the table though it does look to be on small legs. To separate it more from the table, add some blocks (aluminum maybe) on the corners to separate it from the table visually.

As for the automatic doors, you could use a few small winches on top of the cabinet, but then again that just adds to the cost and there's more stuff to worry about. There is some purely mechanical options for a slow gracefull opening, but they're not obviously remote operated.
Sent from my Typewriter
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Thanks for your recommendations mvmagic. I will put them to the test and see the results.... Now for the mechanical door opener, I'm not familiar (not mechanically inclined) on how it would work or how to make it work. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
You could use strong spring hinges. With the proper strength, they will dampen the door opening (of course its just gravity at work but a door slowly opening does look magical and automatic) and wont close it (as that's what they generally are meant to do).

Of course this works for the opening. In addition to the winches I mentioned, you could have a sort of a lever system which works with linear actuators and that would open and close the doors but that could be cost prohibitive.
Sent from my Typewriter
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
The hinges sound like a plan....I will do some search and find out were can I buy such hinges. Thanks again for your help and comments.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » PICTURES OF MY NEW SHADOW BOX (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL