The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » PICTURES OF MY NEW SHADOW BOX (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Once you get a spring hinge set up, you could look into RC servo motors (like those used with remote control cars) to control a latch, which should be a simple rod attached between the latch and the motor. Your local hobby store would have the motors; just set them to the same channel and they'll all open the doors with a flip of a switch. Of course, since toying with an RC controller is rather obvious, that would probably mean someone off-stage would be controlling it, in which case you'd be best with the assistant controlling it in the first place, but that's beside the point.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Now that's a good idea, cost-effective too as one can find sets like that kinda cheap. Also, it gives you the chance to have manual control of the doors.
Sent from my Typewriter
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
Yea, that sounds like a plan...I guess I need to figure out a plan on how to put the hinges/servos to work.....Again thanks for your ideas.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Look for a latch that is released by pulling. Put some small blocks between the frame of the box and the doors so the doors are not completely vertical but taper upwards a bit. This way, when the latch is released, gravity works it magic and the doors open, much like a blammo but with the spring hinges slowing it down.

You should easily find some basic servo sets that can pull the latch open.

Also, you can make a pull-release latch yourself.

One option for release is a couple of small electro magnets. Good thing is there is no moving parts.
Sent from my Typewriter
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Very nice job! looks amazing!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Magia355, hows the shadow box doing? Done any additional work on it yet?
Sent from my Typewriter
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
Unfortunately, I've been so busy preparing a dvd demo, and putting together a stage/manipulation act......I'm planning to resume the project after I get back from overseas sometime in May. Thanks again for all your support.

Richard
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
Well, finally I put my shadow box on my show...and it works great. Thanks for everyones input and support. Finally, I decided to connect a battery operated light which works with a small remote control. This provides me greater control of the light and I don't have to worry about cords etc....The doors are opened manually, but hopefully when time permits...I'm still looking into remotely make the doors open and close slowly. Here in my webpage I have addded my picture with the final product, hope you all like it...

http://www.ricksanchezmagic.com

Thanks again.
Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » PICTURES OF MY NEW SHADOW BOX (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL