The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Paul Curry's Open Prediction (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings All,
Sorry for such a mundane question but I've seen many references to Paul Curry's Open Prediction (especially since there are so many subsequent variations) but after doing searches on Google and in "themagiccafe.com", I can't find any reference to where the method can be found. Could someone please tell me which book would have it?
Many thanks,
Bob L.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
In "Ibidem" No.3 published August 1955, you can find 25 solutions by Stewart James and 11 solutins by Howard Lyons.

Hideo Kato
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Hi Bob,
there is not one, there are dozens if not hundreds of solutions to this plot.
Jon Racherbaumer's Hierophant (the book) has a whole chapter on the Open Prediction.
Other easily optainable sources are Marlo's "The Cardician" and Giobbi's "Card College". A quick search here at the café should produce a lot more information.
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Hi Hideo and Uli,
I appreciate the responses.
It looks like something that I was hoping would be simple and straight-forward is more like a "quest"...with all the variations available.
I think I also found "Open Prediction"...probably the most basic form, in Fulves' book "More Self-Working Card Tricks".
Do either of you do this trick and have a favorite method?
I always prefer impromptu (or with minimum set-up) with a borrowed deck.
Thanks!
Bob L.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Tony Binarelli had a very effective one in his book, "Class Act", but it wasn't impromptu.

On the Secret Sessions DVD, there's an ingenious Open Prediction that requires minimal set-up, and is short and direct.
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Thanks! I'll look into those suggestions.
I might be way off-base, but it seems to me that essentially the same idea could be conveyed with a trick called "The Envelope, Please" in "Magic for Dummies", pages 198-200.
Best wishes,
Bob L.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Hi Bob,
the version in the Fulves book is much better than most card magicians would think. Many versions of the Open Prediction require a switch at precisely the wrong moment. The version in "More Self-Working Card Tricks" has one big advantage: at the end, you're clean, you have a clean stage picture, and the spectator himself turns the one face down card over. I do perform this one from time to time (for layman only), and find it to be very effective.
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Thanks, Uri,
I don't own "More Self-Working Card Tricks" but will purchase it (I found out that it has "Open Prediction" after a web search). I'm glad it also has the bonus of being one of the inexpensive Dover paperback books!
Danke!
Bob L.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I have tried using Gemini Twins (also from More Self-Working Card Tricks)as an "Open Prediction" type of trick. The difference is the cards are not dealt face up and there are two predictions instead of one. The title "Open Prediction" implies that the prediction is known beforehand and that is exactly what happens with Gemini Twins. It isn't quite as clean as Paul Curry's original idea of dealing cards face up, dealing one face down, then the rest face up, but it is still a good, inexplicable way to present Gemini Twins.
Brucelee
View Profile
New user
Master of Nun-Chuckin'
70 Posts

Profile of Brucelee
Is Paul Curry's Open Prediction just like the one that Sean Fields' is selling on his website?

Brucelee
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Jerry Hartman has some very good handlings of this wonderful plot in his new book, "Card Dupery".....

David
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I was just on trickshop.com and contemplated purchasing A Prediction from Bombay which combines Paul Curry's Open Prediction and Eddie Joseph's Bombay. My only hesitation is that it seems similar to an effect in Ken de Courcy's Coffee Break Chronicle (don't remember the name).

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
The one in Card College is really good.

I blewd away a fellow magician with this!
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Gordon Bean has an Open Prediction trick called "The Los Angeles Open" which comes along with a trick called "Joker Joker." Most people seem to think that "Los Angeles Open" is actually a far superior trick to "Joker Joker" and a good solution to the Open Prediction problem. Somewhere on the Café there's a long thread about these tricks.
Also, in the first volume of Steve Beam's "Semi-automatic Card Tricks" series there are some Open Prediction tricks, one of which is kind of like the ultra-simple one in Fulves' book that was mentioned above.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2007-12-28 04:52, Doctor REvil wrote:
Jerry Hartman has some very good handlings of this wonderful plot in his new book, "Card Dupery".....

David

David,

Good to see someone else mentioning "Card Dupery". A great book that seems to have been largely ignored by the magic community at least in terms of posts about it here and at Genii.
-------------------------------
In the "James File" there are ton more solutions to the Open Prediction effect including some nice ones by Michael Weber, Max Maven, Steve Beam, and others. Definately a good source.

Sprinkled throughout Apocalypse you will also find a number of approaches to the Curry effect.

Best,
Vlad
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
L.J.'s Prophecy- Larry Jennings, Richards Almanac
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-11-23 13:52, Scott Cram wrote:
On the Secret Sessions DVD, there's an ingenious Open Prediction that requires minimal set-up, and is short and direct.

Does anyone know which effect/performer that Scott was referring to in his post?
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2010-04-04 18:00, Turk wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone know which effect/performer that Scott was referring to in his post?

"Open Prediction" by Amilkar Reiga
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 13:07, Magiguy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-04 18:00, Turk wrote:
Quote:

Ah, yes! I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the info.

"Open Prediction" by Amilkar Reiga

Eschew obfuscation.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
OOPS! Forgot to add my comments to the quoted material. Here 'tis:

"Thanks, Magiguy,

That info was very much appreciated. I'll have to dig out my Secret Sessions videos and look this on up.

I think that I remember this one and I was impressed with it when I first saw it. (Matching Kings or something like that as I recall.)

Thanks again.

Mike"

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Paul Curry's Open Prediction (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL