The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Help me find a good trick in Tarbell (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I wasn't going to post on this thread because I thought the question was just plain absurd. Then, on reflection, I think there is something to be learned here.

The Tarbell Course contains just about every basic magic principle ever created. Tarbell fully expected his readers to do a little work (he says so in volume one) in adapting these principles to their own work. I have always loved reading effects that I could take apart and rework to my own liking, but so many today want to be spoon fed every single morsel. My whole act comes from Tarbell in one way or another. I never tire of reading and studying it.

Finally, if you take out every effect in the series, what you would have left would still be worth more than any other 10 books on magic. The advice is invaluable and timeless.

Richard Osterlind

P.S. Merry Christmas! Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Richard Osterlind! You got me in trouble today. I was late getting my wife to an appointment because I was reading the new release of your three ebooks in one cover (hard copy). Excellent book, well thought out and very clear thinking on the performance of magic.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2007-12-19 22:16, MagicSanta wrote:
Richard Osterlind! You got me in trouble today. I was late getting my wife to an appointment because I was reading the new release of your three ebooks in one cover (hard copy). Excellent book, well thought out and very clear thinking on the performance of magic.

Thank you for that!

Richard

P.S. Sorry about the wife thing. Smile
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey bro,

You don't have to convince me. I know there is some good stuff in there. In fact, I think I said, in this thread alone:

- There are some great ideas that need a little fine tuning, but are still inherently good tricks.
- There IS some good material inside those pages, especially if you are looking for non card. It also makes a great reference source, like greater magic or the James Files.
- There are some killer tricks, with some very interesting handlings (some rather sophisticated with all honesty).
-a casual glance at the index would reveal some great material.
- That doesn't mean the methods (or even, in some case, the presentations) aren't good- assuming your audiences haven't been studying modern card work they won't have a clue

Etc, etc, etc.

I agree with you- there is no way you can't find a single good trick in the set. But, it doesn't mean that there aren't more sophisticated and arguably better methods and presentations for some of these pieces (though, in fairness, the Negro baby routine is unmatched to this day...). Like I said- I use it as a reference source. If I'm looking for a cards across (for instance), I check the methods from Tarbell and Greater Magic before moving on.

Don't get me wrong- it's a great set. Just not the be all end all some people make it out to be.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
That's it. You want a piece of me? Let's take this outside, punk.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Quote:
On 2007-12-19 21:28, Richard Osterlind wrote:
I have always loved reading effects that I could take apart and rework to my own liking, but so many today want to be spoon fed every single morsel. My whole act comes from Tarbell in one way or another.

Richard,

Isn’t it funny that I love some of the material on your DVDs yet I really don't feel like doing anything out of Tarbell?

If you think about it, I have spent more money on your DVDs than on the whole set of Tarbell books.

The real issue is a question of accessibility of the material. Some people love reading effects that that they could take apart and rework to their own liking. Well, that's not me. I want to see or read a trick that just blows me away (Pit Hartling's Card Fictions... better than Tarbell, at least to me).

I think there is nothing wrong with a consumer wanting to be spoon feed great material. That's why we buy your DVD with 7 or 8 tricks for more money than 1 Tarbell book with 200 tricks.

With the quality of magic books being published today, the encyclopedic DVDs of various sleights (Daryl's, David Roth), I see less and less reason to turn to these books. I believe a lot of the magicians who love Tarbell are from a different generation. I truly doubt there are many magicians under 35 who really love these books.

I'm not a professional magician, and frankly I don't believe I would enjoy myself as much as I do now if magic became my "job". People can keep repackaging Tarbell tricks, and if I read good reviews I'll keep buying them.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2007-12-19 10:44, pierredan wrote:
Hi Ben,

Remember me from the Ortiz workshop in Ottawa? That was one of the best “magic” days I have ever had. Spending the day with Darwin was a real eye opener. I wonder what he thinks of Tarbell….

I speak for Darwin when I say that his favorite trick in Tarbell is the Fu Manchu Magic Microphone from Volume 6.
ME
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 01:21, erlandish wrote:
That's it. You want a piece of me? Let's take this outside, punk.

It's on like Donkey Kong.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Question, if you think there is nothing in Tarbell, what do you think there is something in, I would really like to know. Also, not sure if I read that incorrectly, but there are 7 volumes not 5

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
There are 8 volumes.
What would Wavy do?
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Your Correct,eight, don't know where I was getting 7 from.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
I don't remember which volume but I remember when I was President of Sam in Jacksonville NC years and years ago I challenged our club to find an effect out of Tarbell and just before the meeting opened any volume and found Card on Ceilling (sp) I mean I closed my eyes and opened a volume and pointed on the first effect I found! Card on Ceiling! It was Great and fooled most of the Magicians there! I don't think this was outdated! Have Fun!
The Magical World of Jardini
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Is volume eight the special volume added to the seven that have been around since Harry Loryne wrote his part? I've never considered number eight to be anything but a black sheep to be left out for the wolves.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On 2007-12-10 17:21, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-10 09:52, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
Ed Marlo's One at a Time Aces is a GREAT trick in Tarbell in the 4 aces trick section (vol 2?). I use my own version of it in my working repertoire.

Larry

I think vol 3 Smile

Volume 5. Page 139

Now will you all shut your yaps?!
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Seth Blackwood
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Seth Blackwood
The one thing that I love about magic books is reading an effect, saying to yourself that if that will ever work. Learn the effect and try it out on some unsuspecting person, and proceed to fry them with the effect.

That type of satisfaction is not felt through watching videos. So that brings us back to Tarbell. To expect someone to point out the trick that will smoke anyone from those pages is not possible. You have to do some work, read the effects, and perform them. And it may take a while before you find that trick in Tarbell. There is something there for sure. Maybe one day, I'll fool you with one.

Call me old fashion, but I love books and will take them any day over a video. Videos are entertaining, but I learn from books. I'll take Greater Magic, Tarbell, Erdanse, and Stars of Magic any day over current videos and books (with the exception of Bro. John Hammon's book).
zwong
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
Quote:
I truly doubt there are many magicians under 35 who really love these books.

I'm 23. I love Tarbell's work.

Also, I'm a hardcore believer on the importance of the act and presentation. Tricks and methods are just tools. A good performer can make miracles out of a simple 'obsolete' trick.

In the words of Robert-Houdin, "There are no magicians, just actors playing the part of a magician"
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
What is it with performing arts? I have read this entire thread and frankly, I am amazed at some of the attitudes concerning the classics of our Art.

As a musician I hear the same nonsense. I am a keyboardist and vocalist. I hear musicians constantly GASing - musician's slang for Gear Acquisition Syndrome - for the newest miracle to roll out of Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Kurzweil's factories. They complain about "dated" sounds. Rubbish!! It is the MUSICIAN that makes the music. If the notion that "sounds" are outdated, then why play piano or violin or guitar or the most ancient of all DRUMS.

Are Shakespeare, Henrik Ibsen, and the other great playwrights of the past dated? Apparently not. Al Pacino did a GREAT Shylock in the recently filmed "Merchant of Venice". Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V" is a towering performance!

Back to magic. Perhaps the PROSE may be dated in Tarbell and Greater Magic, et. al., but the ideas are not. Some of effects DO reflect their time time period such as the effect "King of Clubs" in Tarbell. But,this same effect can be easily updated. If effects are dated and people are Jonesing for ONLY the latest and greatest, then here is what you need to do:

Stop doing the Cups and Balls - FAR too old
Card magic? Forget everything that was released before last Tuesday.
Coins? Pah. They ain't cool unless it involves The Raven.
Do NOT read anything published before 2007. This is VERY important! I mean REALLY, effects dating from 2006 and back are so terribly dated that ANY audience would walk away from your performance.
In fact, do NOT read!!! Books are evil. They have words that do not move and they have these dated technologies called illustrations. Forget them all.

*Smiles*

Vlad
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Can I ask why we are trying to change his mind about this? He's already stated his opinion and told us what he likes to do.
He's the perfect magic consumer. He'll continue to buy the new stuff that's really someone's take on something that was probably published in Tarbell. By trying to change his mind you are taking away the valuable dollars he will spend on one effect when he could have bought dozens for the same price if he had the book.
Let him spend, spend, spend... more power to you, Pierredan... keep that money flowing in.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
What is old is new again...
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 10:25, pierredan wrote:

I think there is nothing wrong with a consumer wanting to be spoon feed great material...I'm not a professional magician,

These two clauses pretty well sum up the debate. Tarbell is for professionals, not for those who want to be spoon fed.

Greg says it perfectly: Keep the sucker on the line and get all his money before he wises up!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Maybe I should make videos from Tarbell material and package it as "all new!")
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Help me find a good trick in Tarbell (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL