The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What to do with one rope? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I believe that one was done by Moses for the Pharaoh, and Moses' magician used no gimmick.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
A no-gimmick rope to snake? Does Moses have a website or e-book that tips the method? Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
214 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I Like your kind of humor! Smile

But it is a very good idea to transform the rope to something else!

Would anybody please be so kind to tell me something about the OHMAK move!

Thnak you!

Angelo
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
On 2007-11-27 10:42, Angelo the Magician wrote:

Would anybody please be so kind to tell me something about the OHMAK move!

Angelo

Angelo, I named this delightful flourish the OHMAK move,
and you can find it fully described in my booklet the
Hunter Knot Revisited available via the link below or at Lybrary.com
I hope to have a YouTube clip of it up at some point soon.

In essence you throw the entire rope into the air
and it knots itself on its descent.
I use it as an step in the longer routine
but it can be inserted into any one rope routine.

It's also a great 'magician fooler" as it is so little known.

timothy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There is a technique of making three, four, five, or even six overhand knots at one time, but the only place I have ever seen it is on the George Sands DVD. I suppose it is in his book, but I do not have George's book.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What you are talking about Al is the Buffelo (that is not the correct spelling but you can find it) knot. You make a series of knots, run the end of the rope through it, and the knots all come undone. There is also a similar effect by the same fellow I believe which is done where the end is inserted and the rope is put into a top hat and pulled out and there are no knots or toss it into the air. They look very good and seem impossible. I know they are in Tarbell and I cannot recall if they are in the Enc of Rope Magic but should be.

If someone can get the real name out of the Tarbell index and post it then it may help folks in finding it.

Sorry, the knots in question are also found on the Daryl vids....
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Daryl has assembled methods, Tarbell chronicled some of the originals by the originators, Sands did the resume of knots which in his hands looked non-derivative.
----------
The OHMAK move was referenced in a comment above. Apparently there is a move where the rope is thrown in the air and a knot appears.
---
One
Handed
Mid
Air
Knot
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I believe MagicSanta is referring to the "Hindu Knots" from Tarbell Volume 2, page 355.

Andy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I remember! It is Chefalo's knot (chefalo, buffalo...close!). Is Hindu Knots the one where you toss in the rope and pull it out knotted? I wish I had my library at hand, so much went in over the years it is tough to keep it all on track.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Chefalo's Knot is a disappearing knot. The Hindu Knots can be produced as you say by throwing out the rope (or from a hat etc.), and also made to disappear.

Andy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes sir...you are correct. The Chefalo is what Al is looking for.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Has anyone bought MrHyde's booklet? I'm not sure whether I need to know any more about the Hunter puzzle knot, but I am intrigued by the idea of a knot that appears in mid-air, unless it's something that's in the Encyclopedia.
Jolyon Jenkins
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
I read this booklet when it first came out. A pocket sized review.
The main thing you are buying is a clever routine or structure that is aimed for tradeshow or roving performers. It certainly works, I've used it at a few large parties. Will you learn anything new? I did. For instance the visual disparity between where you are holding the rope before and after "the move" is performed, is discussed, something I had not noticed or read about before. The mid air knot is a bit tricky and I wish there was a video clip. The rope is thrown into the air and then forms around your outstretched hand. It's like the one handed knot but done with a very visual "get ready". It s certainly not as difficult as a snap knot but has the same appeal. I don't think Hyde is claiming originality for the move, He credits someone else in the booklet. While ropes are not really my thing, I bought it to meet a need and thought the booklet good value.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Thanks for the comment.

I'm certainly not claiming it's original, but it certainly is very little known
which makes it a great little bit to add into other routines or as a "magician fooler" if that is useful to you.

I first read about it in a Tony Griffith's piece in Genii magazine, perhaps 15 years ago where it was briefly mentioned.

I've tried to make learning it much easier with the photos and a full description. Planning to get a small clip of it up in the next few weeks as I've had a bunch of requests for this.

Timothy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Timothy
It took a few posts before I figured out just what you were talking about, but on the other page you did said that the information is on a link listed below. However you forgot to give us the link. When can we see the youtube demo? Is this knot like the snap knot or something different?

And Ian said that there was nothing new in rope magic. I'm excited.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
My small manuscript on the Hunter Knot that includes a full illustrated description of the OHMAK florish can be found via:

http://www.achieving.com.au/Illusion.htm
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
For single rope work I really enjoy the "Rope Magic of Tabary" DVD. It's a full routine, but you can pull the moves you like out of it fairly easily.
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What to do with one rope? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL