The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I wonder how many magic shops are left in the USA?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I wonder how many magic shops are left in the USA?

Wunderground Magic in Clawson Michigan (great selections there and the staff is knowledgeable and great).
In Toledo Ohio, there is a small brick and mortar called Glass City Magic. It’s not big and Dennis caters more towards the beginners though he does get advanced items if needed.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was about 11, and had done a "show and tell" for my 6th grade class. I had "performed" tricks that I had learned from Alexander the Magician's "The Magic Show Book". I had done OK, but, it was far from a "show"! Then! the children's librarian, bought a new magic book! Joseph Leeming's "Fun With Magic". WOW! Mr. Leeming had provided a list of MAGIC SHOPS, with addresses! Abbott's, Joe Berg's, Chanin's, Grants, Max Holden's, Kanter's, Carl Lohrey's, Nat Louis, Martinka, Nelson, Sterling's, Stull's, The Yogi Magic Shop!!!

Abbott's was the first one listed. Abbott's was in Lower Michigan, and, I lived in Upper Michigan. THAT afternoon, I wrote a letter on "3 hole" notebook paper, and, a week later, I had Abbott's #7 catalog! It was Christmas in February! I ordered a Brakawa Fan ($1.75) and a Mirror Glass ($1.00). Soon after, I bought a "Chinese" Wonder Fan (Tarbell Cone) and, Scotty's Cut & Restored Rope. (total investment:$3.00)

By that fall, I was 13. I had done a "show" for my dad's lodge, and a church men's club. I had the "guts" to approach the Jr. High School Principal, and book a show (on percentage) for the 500+ kids in his school! I tell that story in my book. It was a success, and I made $26.00 in 35 minutes! (It was 1945. Grown men were working all week for that money!) I had become a part time professional!

Several weeks later, my dad saw an ad in the "Milwaukee Journal", for Blackstone's "Show of 1001 Wonders" at the Davidson Theater, in Milwaukee. My parents said, "We'll go." (5 hour drive). I got to meet Mr. Blackstone, who was very kind.

The next day, we visited The Mystery Mart. I thought that I had died and gone to heaven! Mr. Len Patyk, the manager, helped me buy the props for Six Card Repeat, Clippo, and, a "bunch" of spring flowers. Total: $4.50!

I learned a few years later, that the dealers, in those days, knew what city that Blackstone had just played, by the orders for 6CR, and, Clippo!

TO BE CONTINUED! Watch this space!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Gene Gordon's House of Hocus Pocus on Franklin Street in Buffalo.
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
476 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2017, docguitarman wrote:
My first magic shop was in Kansas City Missouri. Late 1950s and early 60s. I think the owner went by the name of "Monte" IIRC. It was the only professional store I knew of at the time (the other stores had more pranks than magic tricks). I got all of my fox lane gaff decks there and many other of the "mandatory" effects/props (linking rings, mystic floating ball, multiplying billiard balls, and so on).

It was always fun visiting. Monte would always greet me with a smile and demo the latest trick he believed I should purchase within my youthful budget!

Since posting this I remembered the shop owner's name was "Morey." Then, after an inquiry, a gentleman of I.B.M. Ring 129 (Kansas City area) said his name was Morey Taub. The magic shop was in the lobby of the Howard Hotel in KC I recall -- but I also recall one relocation. Wish I could locate more historical information regarding the shops in KCMo in the 1950s and 60s.
mentaldiego
View Profile
New user
Spain
63 Posts

Profile of mentaldiego
Ace of magic
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
362 Posts

Profile of kShepher
The Abracadaba magic shop in Colonia, NJ.

After that...Lou Tannens. That was just wonderful.

K
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
I was lucky, I grew up in NJ about 45 miles from Times Square. Louis Tannen's back when Tony and Jack were running it. I looked forward to those occasional trips into the city to visit Tannen's more than Christmas Day.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2270 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Ellusionist was the first magic store I purchased from.

I tried to go to Hocus Pocus but they told me they weren't open to the public.

First brick and mortar was probably a Houdini's in Vegas. Now D&L is right down the street from me (since they moved locations after Denny's passing) and I pop down there occasionally to chat with Cam and pick up books.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Any of you been to the Crow's Nest in Lake Tahoe back in the 90's remember the name of the magician who owned the place?
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
My first shop as a teenager was Ireland's in the Loop in downtown Chicago back in the mid 1950's. Frances Ireland/Marshall would wait on me and was very patient with my newbie questions. I can still see her face when I close my eyes . . . very pleasant memory from a long time ago.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My wife and son are very patient with me when we travel. Whatever city we are in, I go online to see if there is a local magic shop. The coolest one was when we were in Athens, Greece. I found a great little shop, but no one spoke English. Funny though, how performing some effects for one another bridges the language barrier.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2249 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2012, Dr Art wrote:
My first magic store was Hollywood Magic in Hollywood CA. They had great halloween costumes in the window. Many years later I ended up managing that store. It was cool because it was a mile away from the Magic Castle and all the visiting magicians would come in the store becaues they were performing at the csstle. Lots of celebs, too.

When were you there?? I was there from '77 through the mid 80's, redid the catalog from the half size to the black full size one... SO many great memories there! Earl Nelson was there when I stated with Greg, and so many other greats came and went. Jonathan & I were there at the same time for most of our HM days. I documented as much as I could in the catalog. It started so much for me!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2249 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
We had a small place called "The Joke Shop" in downtown Ft. Worth that had some basic magic and Johnson coin effects but the real treat was when my parents took my 30 miles away to Douglas Magicland in Dallas! It was truly a wonderland of enchantment. Mark Wilson had started there so it always held a special place in my heart. I ended up working at The Joke Shop doing magic as a teenager but it wasn't until I started at Hollywood Magic that the serious work REALLY began!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
475 Posts

Profile of karnak
Top Hat Magic Co in Evanston IL.

Never visited it. Didn’t live there. Strictly mail order. Catalog cost ten cents. Discovered and ordered from an ad in Boys Life magazine (a Boy Scouts periodical) in the early or mid 1960s.

Lived in a Dallas suburb at the time, and only later discovered Douglas (later Jeffries) Magicland in downtown Big D — a long and rare trek for a kid, but I did it, and spent my allowance and lawn-mowing income there many times.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
228 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Al's Magic Shop in Washington D.C
william_oconnell
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of william_oconnell
Barry's in Maryland. Think it's closed down now. Normally people blame the online retailers, but funnilly my first online magic orders were from Magic Geek and they're closed down now too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL