The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19 [Next]
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, upnxrawk wrote:
Unfortunately never been to an actual magic shop and seeing how they keep closing thanks to online infrastructure don't see many opportunities to do so in the future in my location.


Sorry to hear that! The visual experience in a really good brick and mortar shop is a blast! On the other hand, ending up in one which is a mess and/or clicky can be a real disappointment. If the person behind the counter is pleasant and willing to help, then you will have a good time. Otherwise, it can be a lousy experience.

An old timer like me finds the experience to be very important and buying online certainly not the same.
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, Magical Moments wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, upnxrawk wrote:
Unfortunately never been to an actual magic shop and seeing how they keep closing thanks to online infrastructure don't see many opportunities to do so in the future in my location.


Sorry to hear that! The visual experience in a really good brick and mortar shop is a blast! On the other hand, ending up in one which is a mess and/or clicky can be a real disappointment. If the person behind the counter is pleasant and willing to help, then you will have a good time. Otherwise, it can be a lousy experience.

An old timer like me finds the experience to be very important and buying online certainly not the same.


I just hope I'm someplace someday where there is one to visit so my son and soon to be born child can see.
Billy
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
What city are you near? Maybe we can find one for you to visit.
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, Magical Moments wrote:
What city are you near? Maybe we can find one for you to visit.


I live in between Buffalo and Rochester in NY State
Billy
MysteroMagic
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MysteroMagic
I fervently hope that brick and mortar stores don't go the way of so many of our small businesses. I loved those delightful old magic shops. In Chicago for me, it was Irelands Magic, later to become Magic Inc., The Treasure Chest on Randolph St. (Upstairs room), Mazda Magic in Oak Park, Senator Crandal in the Palmer House, I'm sure I am forgetting a lot of other great places.
Stephen Li
View Profile
New user
Canada
9 Posts

Profile of Stephen Li
Chu's magic in Hong Kong
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2022, Stephen Li wrote:
Chu's magic in Hong Kong


Wow! That sounds like it would be a very interesting experience. I actually have a very modest collection of several of their releases.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
356 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Does anyone know if there are any stores in Walt Disney World that currently sell Magic Tricks? I know that both stores which exclusively sold Magic Tricks in The Magic Kingdom closed years ago. I was just wondering if any of the stores in The Magic Kingdom or any of the other three Disney World Florida Parks sell Magic as part of their stock even if they are not exclusively Magic Shops. Thanks for your replies.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1066 Posts

Profile of Russo
Googled - seems -NO. I did work at WDW - Magic Shop in the 80's. If there was one anywhere in Disney, Unless you have a Disney Employee Card, prices would be higher than than - City Shops.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
356 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Thank you very much for your reply.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
378 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
The Magic Shop at Maxies International Flea Market and Bizarre. (Seriously) It was run by local Professional Magician and TV Personality (Horror Host) "Uncle Ted" Raub. A great guy and WWII hero. I think my first trick purchased was The Invisible Deck.
Gonzalo Mateos
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Gonzalo Mateos
Mine is Magia Estudio, in Madrid, Spain. I went there when I was just 7 for the first time and I loved it. The store looks great, it has a lot of decoration on the walls and magic stuff. I also loved the customer support given by the owners of the store, Ricardo and Eden. They demonstrated the tricks I was interested in, and they even did some recommendations of things I may like. They record their own videos for a lot of the tricks they sell, and they also produce their own effects. In my opinion it is the best magic store ever.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I didn't have a shop, but we loved our Holiday of Magic catalogs.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
BigTexas
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
18 Posts

Profile of BigTexas
JCR Magic Shop in San Antonio, TX !!!!
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
When I was a child my parents took me to New Orleans to see the sites. While in the French Quarter I said I wanted to find a magic shop and stopped a man to ask if he knew where one was. He gave us directions and went on his way. A few minutes later we found ourselves in a Magick shop. I was amazed by everything I saw and my parents realized we were in the wrong place. The lady running the shop saw the humor in the situation and pointed us in the right direction. I don’t recall the name of the shop she sent us to but I know it is where I bought my first set of linking rings and I still have them today. I also have a healthy appreciation of tarot cards and bizarre magick because of that trip.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg

www.anthonyrmiller.com
allignatius
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of allignatius
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2022, Tony Miller wrote:
When I was a child my parents took me to New Orleans to see the sites. While in the French Quarter I said I wanted to find a magic shop and stopped a man to ask if he knew where one was. He gave us directions and went on his way. A few minutes later we found ourselves in a Magick shop. I was amazed by everything I saw and my parents realized we were in the wrong place. The lady running the shop saw the humor in the situation and pointed us in the right direction. I don’t recall the name of the shop she sent us to but I know it is where I bought my first set of linking rings and I still have them today. I also have a healthy appreciation of tarot cards and bizarre magick because of that trip.


Chances are the “Magick” shop you went to first was “The Bottom of the Teacup” or “Hex” and the Magic shop they directed you to was either Magic Masters in the Riverwalk Mall, which is near the French Quarter, or Harry Anderson’s bar & magic shop, Oswald’s - neither of which remain today.
questort
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of questort
Magic Wand, a mall store in Orem, Utah.
LloydP
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of LloydP
Hank Lee's Magic Factory in Boston. Sometime around 1977. I think I left there with a finger guillotine.
questort
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of questort
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2022, LloydP wrote:
Hank Lee's Magic Factory in Boston. Sometime around 1977. I think I left there with a finger guillotine.


I forgot about those! I also liked the shock items, I believe I had a book, lighter, hand buzzer, and chewing gum shock items. Oh, and the little mouse trap chewing gum packs that would whack your finger when you pulled it out. Fun times...
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1066 Posts

Profile of Russo
Memories - I still have many many many Parlor Effects - bought in the 50's-60's, most around $35-45-. NOW around $350.++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL