The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
koolcracker
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of koolcracker
I remember I really struggled to find my first magic shop aside from the generic plastic sets you get at Toys R Us haha. Living in Canada though, mine was the Browser's Den of Magic in Toronto. It's so far away from home though, I had to stock up and beg my parents to stop in on our way to visit relatives.
Kabanning
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Kabanning
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 11:22, koolcracker wrote:
I remember I really struggled to find my first magic shop aside from the generic plastic sets you get at Toys R Us haha. Living in Canada though, mine was the Browser's Den of Magic in Toronto. It's so far away from home though, I had to stock up and beg my parents to stop in on our way to visit relatives.

I remember hearing about Browser's Den from my Magic Circle meeting. For us, it came as highly recommended.
danmarimba123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of danmarimba123
Magic Masters in New Orleans....
Markkuhn2
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Markkuhn2
Ken's Magic Shop. Fairlawn, NJ
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10533 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Does anyone remember the magic shop at the famous "Farmers Market" on Fairfax in L.A.? This was a wonderful shop that was at the market for many years.

I went to that shop often when I was about 8 or 9, and my dad would take my brother and I there often. It was located in the side building at the market near some curio shops, on the North side if I remember correctly.

One of the first tricks I recall watching there in total amazement was "Hyrum" the hank. They had a nice collection of beautifully lacquered wood magic boxes too on the shelves.

Of course that store is so long gone, but I think it was called the "Magic Shop at Farmers Market." Sadly I just read that Hollywood Magic just closed their doors not long ago - wow, another piece of L.A. history gone but the memories of astonishment as a kid are as fresh and wonderful as ever.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
PenEnpitsu
View Profile
New user
Southern California
36 Posts

Profile of PenEnpitsu
My first magic shop was Houdini's at some hotel in Vegas. The Venetian I believe. I remember hanging around there during my free time learning card sleights from the employees working there. Also picked up some of Jeff McBride's card manipulation videos there!
Kuma
View Profile
New user
Sydney
51 Posts

Profile of Kuma
My first Magic Shop was "Cooks Magic Shop" in Parramatta Westfield. I used to go there every chance I could.

I also remember a magic shop in the (I think) Strand Arcade in Sydney but can't remember the name of it. I remember it seemed more serious than the one at Parramatta, as it was more focussed on magic tricks and less on practical jokes and novelties.

The one in Sydney was where I bought my first "real" magic equipment - a stripper deck, and a set of linking rings.

-Rob
kkentert
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of kkentert
"The Magic Shop" in NJ. It bounced from mall to mall all the time, so was hard to keep track of. He went out for a while, and just put up a full time store in Marlton, NJ. I think the owner is Rick something.
Markkuhn2
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Markkuhn2
And who could forget Mecca Magic in New Jersey? I know I can't. It was soon after Mecca went out of business that I gave up magic. I have, obviously, since returned.
bobcam1
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of bobcam1
Quote:
On 2007-11-24 22:37, BIGmagiclV wrote:
Mine was a shop in Hamden, Conn. called the Magic Barn. Probably because it was a barn that was converted into a magic shop! Oddly enough, they sold illusions like "sawing a cow in half" and "the levitating tractor". Smile (Just kidding, in case you missed the smiley face!)
Anyone have a strangely named shop?

I worked at the Magic Barn for years, with Russ Loller...It was a GREAT shop, with lots of good, steady customers, and we hosted quite a few excellent lectures there, for the Petrie-Lewis Assembly #15, S.A.M.... including Dai Vernon, Jose de la Torre, Ger Copper, Bob Little, George Sands and others. One of the best times of my life....Smile

Bob Hagerty.
Schism
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Schism
Mine was The Magic Apple at studio city. Loved it there.
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
I'm pretty sure my first was Barry's Magic Shop in Maryland.
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
WalkerMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Littleton, CO
105 Posts

Profile of WalkerMagic
My first magic shop was Reinke Brothers.
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Mine was Davenports Magic Shop in London. Still visit it from time to time.
Bill Schap
View Profile
New user
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 Posts

Profile of Bill Schap
Having grown up in small town midwest(60's & 70"s) there were no shops I was even aware of other than mail order until I was on vacation and discovered Daytona Magic in Daytona Beach, FL. Fell in love with the Daytona area and moved here in 1978 after graduating college. Have only recently gotten back into magic, but have visited the shop for all these years in between and can't say enough good things about it. The only other shop I was lucky enough to visit in the 70's was Eagle Magic in Minneapolis. It wasn't huge, but it was like stepping back in time, and I was treated as though I was Houdini (who actually may have visited there at some point). Great memories!
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island
394 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
The Magic Shop, Hicksville NY. The very one that Chris Angel started with.
skilldini
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of skilldini
Magic wand pasadena
hey does anyone have henry vargas email thank you skilldini
jackofspades11
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, Utah
65 Posts

Profile of jackofspades11
My first magic shop was Magic 4 Less in Utah. It was a great shop but is now only an online store. ):
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
My first true Magic shop was Romig Magic in Ferndale, Michigan. Prior to that I bought magic from a fellow who lived down the street from me and had a small counter at the local Montgomery Wards department store.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5209 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
So true motown. When I first got into magic, it was library books and mail order pocket tricks from comic book ads. Then, I found a toy store in a local mall that had an Adams display...I thought I found paradise. Every time we went to that mall I would bug my parents to stop by that shop, and I would stare at that display until my parents finally asked if I wanted one of the tricks for Christmas. I don't care if it was January when they asked. Just the thought of a new trick for Christmas gave me goose bumps.

You could imagine my excitement when my dad took me to downtown Cleveland to Snyders magic shop. Wow. A whole store devoted to magic. It was Heaven on Earth.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What was the name of your first magic shop? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL