We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Geller to claim £1m ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'd like to thank you, but the One Who Calls HimSelf Lord will tell me that I'm an idiot.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17546 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 18:51, Banachek wrote:

Still one more envelope to go. Let's see how close others came.

As for what it is, I really don't know... I insisted Criss not tell me. Closest I have come is when Criss showed me the folded paper inside via a flashlight so as to make sure one could not really tell what was written.

Nice to see people enjoying the ride Criss set up.

According to the NBC board less than 10% as many guesses for envelope number 2...Basically little or no interest in it. Seems the ride has come to an end. The contest was a Non-contest in my mind since no one really knew the rules to begin with and no one really got to guess at the contents...Even the envelopes looked a little shady and I never saw the million (Like in all of the cool Poker tounaments).
I guess I do feel like I was taken for a ride Smile.......Thanks Criss....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I can attest that John is a Liberal leaning stuffed shirt Canadian but not an idiot. He just plays one on the Café according to certain unfair criteria and perceptions. In reality (on PMs) John is self effacing and funny and very bright. (For a mathmetician) and I will defend him to the end as being an ok Joe in my book. So what can I say...I'm an idiot.

I know what's in envelope #2. Would someone like my prediciton to hold and verify?
You keep the money. Unless it's real...then we split. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 22:34, Mind Guerilla wrote:
Didn't anyone read the transcript I posted on page 1 of this discussion?

(sigh) I work and slave for you people and I get no thanks.

Mr. Geller did not appear to be trying to guess the contents of the envelope. He was simply wishing Criss Angel success. I think he deserves credit for being gracious and showing some class but not for accurately naming the contents of the envelope.

The truth hurts some on here MG.
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
If they were going to air Uri speak about the envelopes they should have let him finish.

This way it's all unresolved, no matter what some "psychic" "skeptics" here seem to think they know about what Uri was saying and would say next.
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Quote:
Wow, first off, to win the million one had to mention what was in both envelopes. No if and but's just EXACTELY what was in BOTH. 119 would not count 191 would not count only 911 counts, no pictures of buildings, planes, smoke..no comments about hearing a scream, no mention of numbers, dates...no.. well you get the idea.

Also Uri never said it was a date in the envelope. You are assuming due to the fact he talked about how long he and Criss have been performing. And how close in birthdates (think astrology here) they are and as a result how their thinking is really not that far apart. At least that is what it sounded like to me.

As for the cutting off....first episode the producers were calling New York and having them remove segments videotaped so as to fit the show into the time slot. This was happening as it aired. The last episode was super tight too. That was on reason Jim Callahan's letter of what was in the envelope was removed. All acts were going over time alloted. Criss and Uri had both been told not to elaborate but to get to the point. Criss was doing as he was told. Show what was in the envelope. All Uri had to say was, I see the numbers nine, one, one...

Still one more envelope to go. Let's see how close others came.

As for what it is, I really don't know... I insisted Criss not tell me. Closest I have come is when Criss showed me the folded paper inside via a flashlight so as to make sure one could not really tell what was written.

Nice to see people enjoying the ride Criss set up.

Well said.

There's a good deal of confirmation bias happening here. Had the envelope contained a drawing, some people would try to say that Uri's rambling had something to do with that. If it contained a name, some would have said "Oh, look! Uri used the exact same letters of the alphabet to form his words as Criss used in what he wrote!"

I haven't looked back at the video, but was it not also the HOST who was hurrying things along, not just Criss trying to "cut Uri off"?

I have said here before that I respect Uri more than I expected, despite the fact that I don't agree with the dishonesty of his claims. But I am more than a little surprised at the number of magicians rushing to his defence as if his claims were genuine. Do you hate (or are jealous of) Criss so much that you would rather support anyone but him? Or do you wish so much that your own powers were real that you hope Uri's are, because it gives you hope that you someday can be "real" as well?

It's a fascinating dynamic.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2007-11-27 07:38, Bambaladam wrote:
If they were going to air Uri speak about the envelopes they should have let him finish.

Mr. Geller could not have finished speaking about the envelopes because he never began. Check out my transcript from page 1 of this thread. Nowhere does he say "I sense your evelope contains..." or "Criss, I will now reveal to the best of my ability the contents of your envelope..." or "It's '911!' I'm right, am I not? Open that envelope, you punk, and let the skeptics of the world tremble before my awe-inspiring power!"

This is what he said:

"I knew you’ll challenge me once more…but let me…tell you something: Although we were born 1 day apart- I was born on the 20th of December and you on the 19th- there’s a lot of…a lot of years between us. 40 years. You were 1 year old when I came out with my spoon bending…and I wish…and I wish you a lot of success for…40 years."

It seemed to me that he had completed his thought and had nothing else to say. If he did have something else to say, I think they would have let him say it since he was one of the producers of the show. I assume during the last commercial break the host would have been told exactly what was to happen during the show's last few minutes and whether or not Uri Geller was going to take a crack (or a "gander") at the envelopes.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
So? What does that have to do with the fact people will see and hear what they want?

MG, it is time to start a new travesty. This one is winding dowwwwwnn... can't you feel the heat death of this thread? No big crunch and boom coming... just.... slowing of molecules towards zero kelvin....

We must cross the threshold to a new reality!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Psychic cow from notepad?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Infinibovina from the 5th Dimension
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17546 Posts

Profile of Slim King
When I do a "Reveal" I don't just come out and say...37!!!!! I usually have some sort of relevant story or weird reason...Why would Uri be so different?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
zeggman
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of zeggman
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 18:07, Jim-Callahan wrote:
We will see Paolo, what the California Gaming Board has to say about Criss and NBC in the very near future.

Ooh, ooh, can I make another spot-on prediction?

They'll have nothing to say about it. This wasn't gambling, unless you want to argue that you were gambling your reputation by pretending you were about to rise to the challenge.

It was a simple challenge, and you declined it.

If CA had said he'd give you a million dollars if you could unring a bell, or eat 100 hard-boiled eggs in less than an hour, it would have been the same thing -- a simple challenge, not an unlicensed game of chance.

I know grasping at straws when I see it -- they don't call me "Rumplestiltzken" for nothing.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17546 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Seems that NBC went along with the challenge putting them BOTH under it's jurasdiction(sp). IMHO Smile

I never even read that Uri had accepted the challenge but I see CA "Kind of" gave him a chance ..But Jim Callahan openenly wanted a shot and CA denied him an opportunity similar to Uri's.
Bad Karma for CA in the long run.

I AM amazed the Uri got the numbers right!
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Eggman, you keep insisting that Jim declined the challenge. Do you care to elaborate on that? How so ?
shane
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of shane
Quote:
Wow, first off, to win the million one had to mention what was in both envelopes. No if and but's just EXACTELY what was in BOTH. 119 would not count 191 would not count only 911 counts, no pictures of buildings, planes, smoke..no comments about hearing a scream, no mention of numbers, dates...no.. well you get the idea.

Banachek,
It was never mentioned that to win the million dollars you had to be exact.

And if it was that by definition means CA did not "bust Jim" as Jim never claimed to be able to name exact contents of an envelope he had never seen.

Hell when they locked an item he had seen, in a box he only got close to what it contained.
Red 4 weels metal.
This is not a direct hit.

I have seen you perform on several occasions and you never just name the item? Why are you a fake? Is it my right to come to your show and bring my envelopes? Agree or disagree with physic abilities. CA's attempt proved nothing except to make him and every in his camp look juvenile.

I hope to see you soon I will have my envelopes ready.

Shane
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
And the plot thickens...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-11-27 17:40, shane wrote:
Quote:

Banachek,
It was never mentioned that to win the million dollars you had to be exact.

And if it was that by definition means CA did not "bust Jim" as Jim never claimed to be able to name exact contents of an envelope he had never seen.

Hell when they locked an item he had seen, in a box he only got close to what it contained.
Red 4 weels metal.
This is not a direct hit.

I have seen you perform on several occasions and you never just name the item? Why are you a fake? Is it my right to come to your show and bring my envelopes? Agree or disagree with physic abilities. CA's attempt proved nothing except to make him and every in his camp look juvenile.

I hope to see you soon I will have my envelopes ready.

Shane

Give that Shane a ceegar.

Although, it would be cool to have people constantly popping up at CA's and his Machine's appearances constantly yelling to guess contents of envelopes....
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1164 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Shane, those are not my rules, They were the rules that NBC and everyone knew.

Don't assume you know everything that took place at Phenomenon behind the scenes and on other shows related.

I did not say Criss busted Jim?? Not sure why that comes in your discussion with me. Just wanted to make that clear.

If anyone had said I know there are two ones and a nine in the envelope that I would consider a hit. The fact is no one did.

I have a huge disclaimer in my show. I state I am not psychic as you would know if you have seen my show. So feel free to bring your envelopes. Not sure what the purpose would be? To test my psychic ablilities that I state I do not have?? Kinda wierd if you ask me.

A little common sense should tell anyone that you are not going to get a million dollars with a near hit. However, since you seem to want to bring Jim into this, I never saw him have a near hit with the envelopes. Do you know something we do not know?

I'm not saying that a near hit does not mean your not psychic at all. In fact, if someone could do that consistantly I certainly would lean towards the idea they might be. Further testing would tell and seperate statistical chance from paranormal chance. In fact if someone stated that they could could come very close each time. That would be a fantastic claim if they could succeed. Bottom line is, rules can not be changed to fit after the fact.

Anyway, I am off back to work after a wonderful thanksgiving break so this will be my last word on this. It was fun for a couple of days.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17546 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks Steve. I appreciate the fact that you bother to communicate with us (I'm not trying to sound demeaning) Most in your situation don't.
Thanks
Again
Dave
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Ditto to what Dave said. You have gone above the call to be gracious in posting here. I appreciate reading your thoughts. (Ha!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Geller to claim £1m ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL