The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » DREAM vs Fakini Silicone Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
It depends on where you are going to work. Onstage anything smaller than 1 3/4 inch balls is not suitable. If you have really small hands use Dream balls but it depends on the routine you use. Its worth it to have a routine that you can do with bigger balls. Roy Benson used to say" "The bigger the better!"
Personally I would vote for Fakini because you can chose from different sizes, colors and the quality is perfect! Yes, they are expensive but if you take care of them they will last many many years. Also don't forget this is a magic prop which helps you gain money and may be lot of money...
Best,
Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 17:35, Matthew W wrote:
Has anyone used the Gorilla Grip multiplying balls? Are they good?

I have a set of these balls. I like rubber balls because they are less slipery than silicon balls. The s___l is very simple plastic one on the Gorilla set. It is difficult or risky to manipulate it and again the Gorilla grip set is available only in 1 3/4 inch which is small for me.
Hope this helps,
best,
Soleil
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Quote:
On 2007-11-28 04:48, Flying Magus wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-27 08:19, hugmagic wrote:
The dream balls are a knock off of Fakini.

This is debatable. Yes Fakini was the first to use the idea of Silicone balls for the Multiplying Balls routine. But they had been used for manipulation purposes (mainly juggling) before that. I don't think that the Dream Balls should be classed as knock-offs.

Having said that, Frank Radtke has done a great job in creating the S****. That is the real secret to a good set. Otherwise you could just buy Dubé balls.

I am pretty sure that Fakini was the first person to make silicon balls for jugglers. I remember going to the IJA (International Jugglers Association) convention, more than 20 years ago and Frank Radtke was the ONLY person that was selling silicon juggling balls at the dealers display. Later, people like Brian Dube began making the silicone balls for jugglers. For the record, I bought my first set of Fakini Multipying Balls in 1976. Mr. Radtke has been in this business a very long time!

Levent
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I did some checking today and I asked a close friend of mine who IMHO is the world's number one authority on juggling history and he confirmed to me that Frank Radtke (AKA Fakini) was the first person to introduce silicone balls to the juggling world. Before the Fakini silicone juggling balls, jugglers who wanted to do bouncing moves were forced to use commonly available items such as Lacrosse balls, or balls found in a toy stores.

At some point other juggling equipment makers noticed that there was a market for the silicone balls and eventually they copied Fakini's idea (and products).

Levent
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
I have a set of FAKINI and DREAM . In my opinion , Fakini balls are the WAY to go !
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
This is true. Frank Radke was the first to make the silicone ball for performers as we know it today.
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Levent,
Thanks for checking that. I stand corrected. By the way who was the authority? Todd Strong?
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
jl
View Profile
New user
uk
65 Posts

Profile of jl
Anyone have a problem with the fakinis and sweaty hands?? I stopped using them after the first show I did with them and went to my old wood ones they were like trying to do a ball routine with ice.......anyone else or just me??
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Me too I had problems with Fakini balls. If your hands sweat the balls slip away. This is risky. One time I had a really important show, so I washed carrefuly the balls and my hands. In the show I droped not one but two balls, it was horrible. Micro transpiration sweaty hands due to stress is the cause of this problem and unfortunatelly washing cannot help here. This is the nature of silicone balls. Rubber balls are different and I am more confident using them. But if you have dry hands the Fakini balls are great because of their outstanding quality.
Best,
Soleil
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Flying Magus:

My source is the editor of JUGGLE magazine: Alan Howard.

Levent
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
My first public performance with Fakini Balls was in a packed circus tent. It was very humid. I was dripping with sweat and dropped a ball. Normally silicone has a wonderful grippy nature. Unfortunately this doesn't overcome strong sweat and with the extra weight they have over wood this makes for a problem.

I solved this by using a rosin bag. Before I perform with them now, I dry my hands and dab a little rosin from the bag onto my fingers and between them. Never had a problem since. Don't put too much on or your balls will turn black. (you don't want to know what happens to the Fakini's Smile )
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
steficchio
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of steficchio
Hi, I’m Stefano the producer of Dream Multiplying silicon balls set.
First of all excuse my Italian maccheroni English.. I will do the best…..

I would like to give you some information about our product.

We know that 40mm it is not a measure can many magicians like, our purpose was to give a set a little more simple to use for beginners, en effect we have put inside the set a tutorial on dvd.

And we also know that the two shells that we have put in the set was not so good respect the very high quality of the pure silicon balls.

Maybe seller in USA didn’t know that the last set that we have sold have a new concept shell, very better that the first one.

We have simply used Roughing fluid on the shells and they are now: 1- less transparent 2- have more grip 3 -are completely similar to the balls.
Other advantages respect other similar products are now also that the shell are very thin, they are two, and not having silicon part that using go away.

The good news is that if you have an old set of DMSB, you can do by yourself with a roughing fluid spray.
(In Italy we say “Era l’uovo di Colombo!!” translated “ Was the Columbus egg”. you know the story?

Other new: in September we are ready to produce a new set: size 1 3/4 inch, three white and one colored, two new-shell.

I hope my English was not so ridiculous

Ciao
Stefano
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Fakini are very slippery with wet hands except may be the white set, I don't know why...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sounds like the answer is to juggle 3 silicone balls and 1 rosin bag at the same time. Problem solved!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » DREAM vs Fakini Silicone Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL