The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » P&T at America's got talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Penn & Teller performed an illusion. Then they exposed how it was done. Without any point in the end. I don't know much about them, but do they really use to do it this way?

Isn't it pointless to just expose for the sake of exposing? Because that's the impression they made.
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
What illusion did they preform?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
It most likely was Blast Off as I think they perfromed that on the show if I remember right.

It's already been discussed to death on several post here on the Café over the years.

It really all boils down to "You like them or you don't", "you think they expose or you don't" and "You get what they are doing or you don't".

I happen to enjoy they're performances, other opinions will vary.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
Blast Off?
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

This is the illusion they performed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYTmEVFL_NA

Payne, I think in this illusion there is nothing to "get". It's pure exposing just for the sake of exposing. I have seen them expose before, but it always had a twist or a point. Not this time.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
What are they exposing? That a person can slide around in a base that is 2+ feet thick? It's just more entertaining to watch Teller slide around under there.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Not everyone knows ahead or understands how it's done. therefore it's exposing.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think its a funny routine. TRAPDOOR! The method IS better and funnier than the trick.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Blast off!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-11-28 08:10, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

Look at is as the false explanation phase in Silk to Egg but done on a much larger scale Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-28 11:40, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Look at is as the false explanation phase in Silk to Egg but done on a much larger scale Smile

In silk to egg the audience understands in the end that the trick was not done the way it was explained. That trick has a punch. Blast off has not. That's the big difference.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Mikael,

Blast off was created by Penn & Teller for the purpose of this routine.
Never before has a magician done this trick. Nor has any routine been accomplished in this manner.

It was created for ENTERTAINMENT. PERIOD. Something far too many magicians forget about when designing their "acts".

However, P&T just love it when magicians see this and complain. It promotes their image as "The Bad Boys Of Magic", gives them free publicity, makes them more popular to the public, FREE PUBLICITY!!! Why, you were even kind enough to supply the link for those who may not have seen it these past 10 years or so.

Thank you for keeping their reputation in tact. We who LOVE P&T also LOVE those who bash them!

BLAST OFF!!! YA BABY!!! Wait until you see their Clear Cups & Balls!
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-28 23:58, Dan Paulus wrote:
Wait until you see their Clear Cups & Balls!

I have seen it. It had a punch: They talked so fast when they explained how it was done that nobody could understand anything anyway. It was good. Totally different from Blast off.

If they have invented Blast off themselves, of course it's a different thing.

Well maybe it's a good idea to expose. You have given me an idea. I'm thinking about building a website where people can buy the secrets of all the latest tricks. It will make me rich. You will love that website.

Thanks
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
You wont get rich at all... You Tube has beat you to that idea.

I'm afraid you're missing the point all together. P&T really don't expose anything that will hurt magic. If anything they have given magic a much needed lift. By taking attention away from tuxedo wearing magi wannabes and mindless amateurs with business cards who have as much originality as the latest soft drink that still tastes like Pepsi.

Consider this; if Penn & Teller really were just better versions of the masked magicians, wouldn’t WAM have been on their arss long time ago? And would The Magic Castle really have awarded them Magicians Of The Year? No, they would not have. And there’s a reason, they get it!
They get Penn & Teller the act. They get Penn & Teller the showmen. They even get Penn & Teller the magicians.

If you'll study P&T’s writings, see their shows, and really think about the performances, you may come to understand what I'm talking about.
Blast Off (the original questioned illusion in your post) is the perfect example. Dozens of "magicians" have freaked out over this "exposure", yet I defy you to find a single other stage illusion that works on the same principle.

Now go make your little web site. I'm sure it will be as successful than your attempt at sarcasm.
Then study Penn & Teller and become a better magician.
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Quote:
In silk to egg the audience understands in the end that the trick was not done the way it was explained. That trick has a punch. Blast off has not. That's the big difference.

Mikael,

If one could perform the false explanation of silk to egg in an equally outlandish and entertaining fashion, I doubt there would be a need to tack on a sucker ending at all. Would one really want to anyway?

Steve
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-29 12:51, Dan Paulus wrote:
You wont get rich at all... You Tube has beat you to that idea.

I'm afraid you're missing the point all together. P&T really don't expose anything that will hurt magic. If anything they have given magic a much needed lift. By taking attention away from tuxedo wearing magi wannabes and mindless amateurs with business cards who have as much originality as the latest soft drink that still tastes like Pepsi.

Consider this; if Penn & Teller really were just better versions of the masked magicians, wouldn’t WAM have been on their arss long time ago? And would The Magic Castle really have awarded them Magicians Of The Year? No, they would not have. And there’s a reason, they get it!
They get Penn & Teller the act. They get Penn & Teller the showmen. They even get Penn & Teller the magicians.

If you'll study P&T’s writings, see their shows, and really think about the performances, you may come to understand what I'm talking about.
Blast Off (the original questioned illusion in your post) is the perfect example. Dozens of "magicians" have freaked out over this "exposure", yet I defy you to find a single other stage illusion that works on the same principle.

Now go make your little web site. I'm sure it will be as successful than your attempt at sarcasm.
Then study Penn & Teller and become a better magician.

I see on your number of posts that you are new to magic. You are forgiven.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-29 14:18, Hoff Man wrote:

Mikael,

If one could perform the false explanation of silk to egg in an equally outlandish and entertaining fashion, I doubt there would be a need to tack on a sucker ending at all. Would one really want to anyway?

Steve

Be careful to expose that you don't like sucker tricks... Otherwise Dan Paulus will say you "don't get it" Smile
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Thanks for the heads up Mikael.
What am I supposed to get?

Steve
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-29 14:30, Hoff Man wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Mikael.
What am I supposed to get?

Steve

Not sure what "heads up" means in this situation.

Dan Paulus will say you "don't get" that sucker tricks are funny if performed correctly.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
[quote]On 2007-11-29 14:24, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Quote:
I see on your number of posts that you are new to magic. You are forgiven.

Wow! What an asinine thing to say! Perhaps you should google my name or ask some more knowledgeable magicians here on the Café, or read Visions-Online, before you make such statements. You are really showing your ignorance.

Do you really consider the number of posts one makes on this or any other magic web site as to how "new to magic" that person must be? You may have the spare time to post hundreds of posts to a magic web site. I've been to busy booking shows.

This explains a lot about your grievance with P&T. Many magical hacks who can't make a living from entertaining get their ego fix by bashing those of us who do.

It's okay. "I forgive you."
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » P&T at America's got talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL