The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » P&T at America's got talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
"asinine"? Not familiar with that word. "hacks"? Same thing here, you are very unclear.

I can say one thing though. I seldom post nowadays. And being able to make a living in entertainment doesn't say much about your quality as a magician, as I understand you believe.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-11-29 16:47, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
"asinine"? Not familiar with that word. "hacks"? Same thing here, you are very unclear.

I can say one thing though. I seldom post nowadays. And being able to make a living in entertainment doesn't say much about your quality as a magician, as I understand you believe.

If you keep digging that hole any deeper you ain't gonna have time to get that webpage built
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
Quote:
And being able to make a living in entertainment doesn't say much about your quality as a magician, as I understand you believe.

Actually, it usually does. Poor quality magicians seldom manage to eek out 20 year careers of repeat bookings that buy homes and pay all the bills like Dan has. At the very least it speaks far more to the quality of his magic than, say, posting your opinion on open forums where anyone can post their opinions. But that's not all that speaks to the quality of Dan's magic. There's and endless list of quotes from audiences that include A-list celebrities like Lisa Kudrow. Okay, there's probably an end to the list, but it's still a lot of quotes. There's original effects like Blind Luck, an effect David Regal said, "...should be in every magician's repertoire!" But mostly there's the countless number of laughing (and paying)audiences Dan has amazed and entertained. Okay, Dan could probably count them, but it's still a lot of audiences.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as Payne (another entertainer who has both amazed me while making me laugh) has stated, there have been many expressed in the Café on this same topic over the years, but as for deciding what or what's not "funny if performed correctly" you are way out of your league with Dan. Your disrespectful tone to a great comedy magician wreaks of more than a little bit of ignorance on more than just this topic.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-30 01:11, Ray Eldard wrote:
Quote:
And being able to make a living in entertainment doesn't say much about your quality as a magician, as I understand you believe.

Actually, it usually does. Poor quality magicians seldom manage to eek out 20 year careers of repeat bookings that buy homes and pay all the bills like Dan has. At the very least it speaks far more to the quality of his magic than, say, posting your opinion on open forums where anyone can post their opinions. But that's not all that speaks to the quality of Dan's magic. There's and endless list of quotes from audiences that include A-list celebrities like Lisa Kudrow. Okay, there's probably an end to the list, but it's still a lot of quotes. There's original effects like Blind Luck, an effect David Regal said, "...should be in every magician's repertoire!" But mostly there's the countless number of laughing (and paying)audiences Dan has amazed and entertained. Okay, Dan could probably count them, but it's still a lot of audiences.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and as Payne (another entertainer who has both amazed me while making me laugh) has stated, there have been many expressed in the Café on this same topic over the years, but as for deciding what or what's not "funny if performed correctly" you are way out of your league with Dan. Your disrespectful tone to a great comedy magician wreaks of more than a little bit of ignorance on more than just this topic.

If anyone is disrespectful it's Dan. I would never have used this tone if he hadn't used foul language and insinuation.

And if he had lived in a place where there is very little demand for magic, like where I live, he would have very little jobs too. Now he is lucky, not to confuse with skilled, to live in a place where there is a high demand for magic, and thus he gets most free. People who are unlucky and doesn't live in the right place, fight much much harder than he does.

His disrespect for a great childrens magician shows his true nature.

Hey, look, don't bother me any more. I'm fully occupied trying to make a living, fighting hard every day to get new customers. I'm working hard for my money, in opposite to some spoiled brat who has everything on a silver plate by living where there is high demand for magic.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Blast OFF!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 03:28, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

Hey, look, don't bother me any more. I'm fully occupied trying to make a living, fighting hard every day to get new customers. I'm working hard for my money, in opposite to some spoiled brat who has everything on a silver plate by living where there is high demand for magic.

It looks like it's ti,e to order some new grapes. The ones you're eating now seem to have gone off.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Payne,

I sent you a PM. Hope you like it!
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Payne,

I sent you a PM. You'll like it! Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-12-01 05:46, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Payne,

Not as much as I liked Dan's Smile
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Quote:
I see on your number of posts that you are new to magic. You are forgiven.

WOW I guess I should search for David Copperfield here, or Jonathan Pendragon, Jeff McBride, Rick Thomas, Lance Burton, Andre Kole..... Should I continue?

If they had time to have a million posts they wouldn't be performing, on the other hand according to you, because I don't have many posts, I must be near the world’s worst performer. I hope that is not the case
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-01 16:00, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-01 05:46, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Payne,

Not as much as I liked Dan's Smile

That's ok. We all know life is not fair.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Grandillusionsmagic, I sent you a PM.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
On 2007-12-01 23:30, Grandillusionsmagic wrote:
Quote:
I see on your number of posts that you are new to magic. You are forgiven.

WOW I guess I should search for David Copperfield here, or Jonathan Pendragon, Jeff McBride, Rick Thomas, Lance Burton, Andre Kole..... Should I continue?

If they had time to have a million posts they wouldn't be performing, on the other hand according to you, because I don't have many posts, I must be near the world’s worst performer. I hope that is not the case

Apparently it doesn't mean you're a BAD performer... just "new to magic"
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

What it means is that I'm a good performer.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Sorry for (gasp) bringing this thread back from flamewar to original topic, but I'd like to sound off on the exposure debate here.

I'm very anti-exposure, but I really like what P&T did with this bit, for 3 reasons, 2 that were already mentioned and 1 that wasn't:

(1) As Dan Paulus said, they aren't exposing a mainstream trick that others are doing.

(2) As Matt Colman said, the revelation is more entertaining than the original performance.

And finally, (3) the one that hasn't been mentioned (which in my opinion is the most important factor of all):

Contrary to Mikael's "humble" opinion, this is more like P&T's Cups and Balls exposure (or, for that matter, Silk to Egg) than you think. Mikael wisely pointed out that the way they "explain" the Cups & Balls moves so quickly, that the lay audience might *think* they understand the trick, but when all is said and done, they could watch a decent magician perform classic C&B right in front of their faces 10 minutes later and still not catch how/when the balls magically make their way under the cups.

So, in effect, they are pretending to expose, they are satisfying the audience that they've just learned a secret of magic, but the viewers will, for the most part, never be able to apply what they've learned when they watch a subsequent performance.

Same with Blast Off.

What they've basically done with Blast Off is they've shown the audience that a person can hide in the base of an illusion. What they haven't done is gone to any great pains to make the base look thinner than it really is. The first time I saw the performance, not knowing an exposure was coming, I thought to myself, "***, that's the least deceptive 'deceptive base' I've ever seen! What idiot isn't going to be able to figure out that when whatever is about to happen happens, the person who disappeared is in the base and/or the person or people who appeared came from the base?!?"

Then, with an ingenuity you only get from Penn & Teller, they expose the "secret" of their trick. Great, so now the audience knows you can hide an assistant in a base. But I guarantee you, the next time those "newly educated" audience members see a trick using a deceptive base that is truly deceptive, they'll have no clue.

They'll be watching Hans Klok and they'll think to themselves, "Sure, Teller hid in the base of the trick I saw on AGT, but there's no room for Pamela Anderson and her tremendous rack in that one..."

Gotta vote in favor of P&T on this one.

Just my 2 1/2 cents...

Avi
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
I like what someone said about getting Penn and Teller or not. I love them and their 'exposure' stuff is probably my favorite PT stuff. I actually vote for their versions of the lit cig vanish to music, though. Teller is so freakin' good.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

The strange thing is that I have not seen them do that much exposing. Maybe it's not such a big part of their repertoir.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
"Sure, Teller hid in the base of the trick I saw on AGT, but there's no room for Pamela Anderson and her tremendous rack in that one..."

Has to be one of the BEST lines I have ever read on the Café! I was going to put in a thoughtful post but I cannot compete (really who can) with Pamela's rack!

Thanks AVi!

Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » P&T at America's got talent (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL