The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Step right up! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into starting this...
I want to go to a few local fairs (yes, I have talked with them already), have a stand where it's fairly busy...and every 30 minutes or 15 minutes doing the Blade Box, and then charging to come look inside. Then, all the time, having the "World's Smallest Human" inside a small tent.
My questions to you are...

Who builds Blade Boxes and World's Smallest Humans (Osborne plans)?
Have you made either of them? How hard was it?
Do you think that idea would work?
And where is the best place to go get a tent? (Obviously, it wouldn't be a huge one.)

Daniel
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Welcome to the world of the Midway show.

The best way to get that stuff is to build it yourself. As far as tents go, look at different rental companies in your area...and have you thought of signage (Banners)?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Brett, thank you for the welcome... I came to the dark side as I heard you have cookies!

I've never really been one for freaky stuff, but now I all of a sudden am. Yes, I've thought about signage. I'm now also thinking about getting a few "sideshow gaffs" to put in the tent along with the World's Smallest Girl...and making it into a mini museum of sorts.

Daniel
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Well, you should talk to Mr. Doug Higley about gaffs. He can steer you in the right direction.

I have no cookies to share. They are mine, not yours, and for some reason they taste like Higley gaffs. (Don't eat it if you get one; bad idea, leads to constipation.)

Really, though, talk to Doug when it comes to gaffs.

I have TONS of stuff, and my Higley Wigglies are my favorite.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
You have TONS of stuff, eh?

Is there anywhere I can go that sells used? Or do you know anyone that has something used I may be interested in?

I'm thinking... Blade Box outside, Smallest Human, and then 3 or 4 gaffs inside the tent...

A few "oddities" I have found and like are a fetus and a pickled scorpion.

Daniel
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Daniel,

From an old sideshow person, let me give some sound advice. Forget about the Blade Box for now and just go with one of Doug's Zibits. http://www.grindshow.com You aren't ready for a Blade Box and trying to find a girl willing to get in it all day in the heat.

With Doug's Zibit, all you need is an EZ up and you can run it yourself (called a singlo). You can't believe the problems you'll have when you have to hire help. Just in case your thinking...family are more problems than paid help.

Hope this helped,

Don
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Don,
Yes, I know all about the family side of business. That's why I WON'T work with family.....ever.

My assistant, Robyn, would be more than willing. She's had to be in harsher conditions than the heat all day.

So are you suggesting...just buying a tent and setting it up at the fair with ONE Zibit inside? And charging so much to go in and see one thing?
Or should I have a few other things in there, as well?

Daniel
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
And since Don is such a modest feller, I'll say it for him. If you're looking for another excellent money-making venture, have you ever considered pitching Svengali decks? It just so happens that Mr. Driver has an excellent DVD with companion materials just for such a business.

And also, welcome to you and good luck with whatever way you decide to go. But Don is absolutely right, stick with a Higley.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Thanks, Danny.

I've been told by many how great of a pitchman Don is...
Don't want to start it here...but Don, could you PM me with a place in Canada that you can buy Svengali decks wholesale and cheap?

And I've run into numerous things... Right now I'm thinking about maybe a small part about "Big Foot", and then something regarding animals... be it two headed, etc.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Daniel,

All you need is ONE Zibit. It makes it more beliveable. Besides, it's NOT what you have on display inside that makes your money...it's the banners outside that make the money.

You said: "She's had to be in harsher conditions than the heat all day." All I can say is, I've been around Blade Boxes for many years. You have NO idea how hot it gets in that box in the heat of the day. Trust me on this one.

Here is my friend Jimmy Dixon doing the Blade Box. He has a trailer with a top and still dosen't work it in the daytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6RK3nPPeI

Don
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
It's good to have some ideas about what you want to do, but as far as Zibits, at least do yourself a favor and get Doug's book, read it..........then read it again.........then read it again........and when you can recite it, then order a Zibit from Doug if you feel it's something that you'll be able to do (the way that Doug says it). Remember the price of the book is deducted from the price of your Zibit. (I'm pretty sure that's still the deal, Doug's going to kill me if I'm wrong.)
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yup.

Single-O is the way to go.

One buck to see one strange thing they won't soon forget. It is worth it. I do it, and I make pretty good cash at flea markets.

And Svengali decks are great. I worked for a magic shop, and that was one of my jobs. I wish I made the money that they were selling for!

Another nice thing to pitch is the Magic Mouse (John Bradshaw makes them) or, the newer version, Fuzzy Worms.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Don,

I definitely trust you on the Blade Box.

I was thinking about maybe...having a small tent with just a few Big Foot things, and then a few animal oddities.....

Comments? Things I should know? Any advice?
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Brett,

So inform me on what exactly you do at flea markets?

Also...how would you show them without anyone else seeing?

Daniel
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Thanks, Danny.

So what's everyone's views on this... 2 or 3 Big Foot artifacts, and then 2 or 3 Animal Oddities all in the same tent?

Daniel
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I already told you my view. Danny told you to get Doug's ebook. Brett told you what would work.

Now it's time to wake up and smell the toast burning and get Doug's ebook.

Don
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Thanks, guys.

Now one last thing...tents. Where can I get one? I don't want a HUGE one...like I only need one of those small ones that you see at fairs. I think they are around 10X10.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Daniel...some of the information you ask for is not really for the public to know about...the inside operational details we try and keep to ourselves. Yes, the Café is a public forum. I would PM Brett or others for their secrets; if they want to tell you, they will. Brett is a performer who does dangerous sideshow stunts. These take LEARNING from a professional.

Numerous folks above have recommended my How-To, and I thank them for that. (And you have since asked for prices from me.) Get the How-To. It tells you all you need to know, everything to get started.

However, I hear in your 'voice' here a head full of ideas that you think might work... Might I recommend you not let them be set in stone or fly against what we have found works TODAY? You can read all the wonderful sideshow stories, or imagine all your own fantastic ideas that come as fast as you can think them...but do not dismiss what is TODAY'S answers for today's audiences... Or do dismiss them and go out and re-invent your own wheels, maybe stumbling upon something new and successful...you're young, have at it! But there is a way you can start successful and build from there, rather than let the fantasies control your path.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Also, in your own country and area is Dr. Diablo. He can set you on the right path, as well. He is a member of this Café and has a fantastic show.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Step right up! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL