The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What's the Best Live Bunny Production? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
What's the best bunny production nowadays?

There are so many. I think I'm looking for something that is a bit of a routine as well. Mark Worgan in the UK has an interesting one.

What do YOU use and/or recommend? Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I use Abbott's Illusive Bunny Box. I do a Needle Thru Balloon and then I take the balloon and place it into the box, popping it and turning it into the rabbit. Very very strong.

Ken
Mark Andrews
View Profile
New user
Coventry in the UK
31 Posts

Profile of Mark Andrews
I have many Rabbit Productions, but my favourite has to be Ribbons to Rabbit. Have a feeling that it was originally a Jack Hughes item, I may be wrong there though.

I use Eric Sharp's routine and have been doing so for the last three or four years and it never fails to have the children in fits of laughter, no matter what age they are.

It's basically a clear (perspex) box and into it go the ribbons (I use a ribbon fountain). When the lid/cover is put on the ribbons have gone and there is the rabbit.

Sadly no one is making this prop (to my knowledge) any more. If anyone knows who is making them do let me know. Have seen the Kovari effect which is similar but I just don't like it. His version turns confetti or Smarties into the rabbit.

As an add on— I don't like using rabbit productions where a balloon pops and the rabbit appears. I have always felt that the loud bang isn't fair on the rabbit. Also there seems to be so many children who are scared stiff of balloons bursting.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Hi Ken,

Is this still available?

Mark,

Thanks for that— very useful.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I use Edwins Rainbow House. It is a major part of my show and it plays for a good time (with the routine I perform which has developed over the years) and features the birthday child. I used to think that I would never find another bunny routine to top it but then I came up with one myself!

Basically I used to do Quality Props' TV Rabbit production, but I could not come up with a good enough longer routine for it. Then suddenly it dawned on me. I remade it in white to look like a microwave oven. I have it on the table and perform a cake bake routine putting the dovepan into the microwave, first producing snakes, then a large sponge cake and finally the bunny. There is so much magic and fun in this routine that it has become an act!
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Phil, I know you are far more into and probably more knowledgeable about magic than me (as I am very much into puppetry/disco etc.), but without being critical— have you never had any problems with associating a live animal with a microwave oven? As you know, here in UK the RSPCA do sadly come across cases of kittens, mice, hamsters etc. going into microwaves, and probably in the USA, NZ and other countries too. Does this give anyone else just a slight "shiver" or is it just me?
Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
James,
they are available from Abbotts in the States. They have a web site but not sure what it is. You can do a search for them.

Ken
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Ken,
I did a search— nothing so far. :-(
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Ace,
No, to be honest I have never had any comments regarding this. I suppose that if you stopped and analysed it a lot of magic could be seen as sensitive... I suppose kids could copy and put their pet in the microwave but I have only ever heard of one case of a pet in a microwave and that was an adult attempting to dry her pet.

I think mostly a lot of political correctness lacks substance and is exaggerated by Chinese whispers so to speak... it was interesting to see on one of the balloon forums how low the statistics actually were for kids choking on balloons for example, yet lots of people speak of it as if it is a common occurrence.

Strangely I have actually performed this for a kids' show on behalf of and for Animal Welfare and had no bad comments.
Phillip
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Abbott's Magic Company

http://www.abbottmagic.com

Elusive Bunny Box

Best,
Ken
Tom Trix
View Profile
New user
Copenhagen,Denmark
84 Posts

Profile of Tom Trix
My favorite rabbit production is Test Tube Bunny, a sort of oversized Crystal Silk Cylinder. I use playback playing the part that the rabbit is taking a shower. A great trick and very funny. The Bunny Tube is made by Gene Elmo and you can get them from dazzlingmagic.com .
Regards
Tom Trix
There is no business like Showbusiness.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Ken,
I hope you don't think I'm whining but can you give me the full URL?

The site doesn't have a Search facility and I've looked under the sections Tricks With Livestock and Production magic to no avail.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Abbots does not have the Elusive Bunny Box on it's web pages. Try calling them at:

1-800-92 Magic
Dennis Michael
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
I've been using the Rainbow Paint Factory for years. I built additional finale houses out of luan. One leaves the house with snow on the roof, a snowman in front, wreath on the door, lights from the eaves, and a candle in the window. Big hit at Breakfast with Santa.

A second version features Frankenstein at the door with a bowl of candy in hand, bats on the roof, a grave in the front yard, and a pumpkin in the window. The original house was repainted as my buddy's new beach house and ends with flowers in the windows and a surfboard by the door to signify that "My best friend has already moved in!"

I also built a bookmobile version for my library shows. Best buy ever for a rabbit production. In addition, I have the Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box and a Chalet Balloon to Bunny.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I still like the "Rabbit Out of the Hat" as the best and classic method.

I have and used:

• Dove to Rabbit Cage (Don't need Doves)
  • Rabbit Washer
  • Rabbit Wringer
  • Bunny Box
  • Duck/Rabbit Bucket
  • Rabbit Cage (Like Circus Wagon)
  • Crystal Tube Production
  • Production from Miser Dream Pail
  • Production after Anderson Paper Tear (Inside Paper)
  • Worlds Fastest Trick (Dove Rabbit Vanisher)
  • Zombie Cloth Production (Table Method & Zombie)
  • Erics Sharp's Rabbit From Hat
  • Drawer Box
  • Flip Over Box (Vanisher)
Dennis Michael
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nice list of effects Den! I am amazed at how many items on your list I have actually used to produce a rabbit (or other animal) over the years. In fact this whole thread has reminded me of things that I have tried from time to time, liked, but discarded due to weight, bulk, or just plain not fitting the act I was performing.

The box type of production I have used the most is a homemade “Blamo-Box”. It was designed to look like a very small cage. The measurements were for a specific bunny performer I had. It was mounted on its own stand and was a central piece to the act. The routine included using Francis Marshall’s one cut bunny, i.e., a piece of paper is folded, cut and opened to show that it looks like a rabbit. I used a piece of brown paper bag for the cut (my bunny was brown). Stand the cutout bunny in the cage, close the door, lift the top, sides all fall and there is “Browns the Baffling Bunny”! It played well for years even for adult audiences.

However, I tend to keep coming back to a simple steal of a load bag under the cover of a scarf, bunch of ribbon’s or hanks, or newspaper. It packs flat (and small), is comfortable for the animal assistant, and weighs nothing, and technically easy to perform.

I love boxes but keep coming back to my bag!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Harry I was reading this thread waiting for someone to mention the load steal which has the additional benefit of allowing the production to happen in the child's hands.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
To Harry or anyone that can answer this question:

I'm putting a rabbit into my kids show soon. I feel that producing the rabbit from silks is just a bit more magical than using a production box.

My question is, how long can the bunny stay in the bag comfortably before the steal? Does he have to be produced at the begining of the show or can it be at the end, approximately 35 to 45 minutes later?

Thanks for the info.

Rich B.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Rich, I absolutely agree. That is why I have three rabbits. Production, vanish, and Transformation into another box. I still like the rabbit out of the hat, the best because it is magical and surprisingly not many magicians do it.

The Rabbit-in-Hat is a load/steal trick, and so is Eric Sharp's method. I have never left the rabbit in a steal-bag for greater than a few minutes, for numerous reasons.

• One it is to hot for them and they may die!
  • They will defecate in the bag.
  • They will chew the bag.
  • The bag may dislodge and the rabbit will get injured.
  • This is enough to make me not want to do this for a time period.

When to do the trick depends on when and how you want to load the bunny.

Loading:
  • Assistant loads on pre-tense of previous effect.
  • Assistant has load.
  • Assistant loads backstage and trick is brought out.
  • Trick is performed within the first few minutes of the show. (Preload yourself just before going on.)
  • Tell the kids you left a trick off stage and ask them if they really want to see it. (Great respose and you go offstage and load it. Kids are not there to criticise your stage movement tactics.)

How the trick is done and how to accomplish any one of the above is left to your abilities to perform this classic.
Dennis Michael
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hi Dennis.
I appreciate the info.

I believe I unofficially met you at the Philadelphia SAM meeting. I attended two meetings and I am thinking about joining the SAM. I saw you compete in the competitions. I belong to the IBM Ring 6 in Philadelphia.

Should I make the next meeting, I'll introduce myself.

Thanks,
Rich B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What's the Best Live Bunny Production? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL