We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre not for restaurants? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
So I was chatting with Philemon tonight over food and coffee, and the topic of
bizarre venues came up.
He seemed surprised that I perform shock magic and bizarre magic
in restaurants.
I have to say it is more fitting to bar and restaurants as it is designed
for an intimate setting by nature.
Granted I perform it mainly for adults but it is very well received.
I have excellent sleight of hand skills but it is the darker magic
everyone comes back for.

So why is it that some people have frowned upon this type of venue?
Is there a reason I should not perform this type here?

I look forward to hearing from everyone.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well, last day I had a meeting in a restaurant with a comic artist and some of his students. The subject was fantastical objects. His students knew only that I was the Curator of a collection of weird and haunted artifacts and the fact that I'm also an illusionist wasn't hidden...
Everyone shows a more or less interesting object and when my turn came, I performed one of my favorite routine: Oracle.
Well, you guess what the reactions were...
All is a question of setting the correct mood and atmosphere and everything's possible.

Another restaurant theatrical bizarre magic idea. You knowthose Deaf/Blind/Mute guys who scam people by disposing of ridicule artifacts on table for a coin...
Do the same with a Lucky Object. When people pay for it, thank them and SHOW that it's a real Lucky Charm by performing the appropriate effect...

Or play the part of a Gypsy that reads tarot cards (with a limited number of cards)-let'say five. Tell them that you can tell what shall happen within 2 minutes and lay 5 tarot cards on the table. Ask them to choose one and place it aside. Turn the 4 other cards and show Death, The Hanged Man, the Devil and the Fool (bad Omens).
Then turn their selection and show either the Magician or the Wheel of Fortune and perform the next effect.
For a method, just read IRMA in CT.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Awesome curator.
Now that's what I'm talking about.
I have found that a lot more people are looking for something that is not the norm.
They want something that will stimulate that bestial part of them that society says is bad.

Keep this going. Way omany people are spending lots of money for bizarre magic, but do not have the venues to perform them.
I say any venue can be bizarre.
Bring out as many routines and venues as you can.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I totally agree with both you and Christian on this.

He said: “All is a question of setting the correct mood and atmosphere and everything's possible.”

And I don’t think it is so much the Venue (like a restaurant) but the sort of people who attend that particular venue and are open to the mood you set.

Your attitude and dress can convey a great deal about you when you approach people in a public place. If you’re dressed like a clown perhaps they say: “do you make balloons?” or “get away we’re eating!” and the baby starts crying.

No different for a Bizarre performer, they will draw a conclusion from your approach, and invite you to stay or not to stay. I think good taste (even if dark) must prevail, I’d do nothing with worms or larva in an Italian restaurant.

I’m not sure its simply the bestial nature in people, today people are exposed via the media and internet to a world of possibilities, and I think they’d like to maybe just test out something new by dabbing a toe into the darker waters.

In Magic (and Magick) it is the mystery, wonder, and enchantment which must prevail by bringing forth an emotional response while entertaining, as long as that response is honest and in consort with the guests and venue, Magic works anywhere.

Good discussion!
Magically,
Walt
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1284 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
As long as you don't drip blood on there food...
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
More than the bestial part, it's the sense of adventure (I know, I always repeat that...).
Remember the title of one of Punx' books: Magical Adventures and fairy Tales.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

For me, pushing the envelope of what is accepted is what gives me pleasure.
The excitement of taking them right up to the line and jumping over it with them in tow creates a special bond between me and my people.
Yes I do call them My people as after we have shared this little trip into the dark we are bonded into a special brotherhood.
The same audience comes back show after show just to take their friends through it.

This is the main reason I have been gravitating to the bizarre field.
Believe it or not my first taste was a book by you curator. {C.T}
I fell in love with the way you brought antiques into the game and not just a lot of commercial tricks, but real objects.
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
213 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
More importantly than if it's an appropriate venue, I would have to ask "is it entertaining?"

I performed bizarre magic for 5 years table hopping. I'd be ready with "non-bizarre" material in case the table wasn't feeling it. Some brief conversation usually gave me an indication if I'd be able to do the spooky stuff or if I needed to do more standard close up magic.

So long as you approach each group as a new performing situation and match the material to the group, I think there's nothing inappropriate about bizarre material in restaurants.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre not for restaurants? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL