The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three tries to get it right/ mano tejera (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 12:53, Pete McEwen wrote:
I would rather mention the weakpoints I find and try and make the routine better. If anyone disagrees, then please don't post a video and ask for suggestions or feedback.

Pete

Constructive criticism is a GOOD thing. Smile I agree, there's an implicit invitation for it attached to any posted video.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes constructive criticism is agood thing./
When I put this video up it was my intention to show Manos skill without the use of gimmicks .....
some how rannie and mickey silvers name came up . I defended them by saying they are the very best IMO... and I have lived long enough to see many of the greats. I know for a fact Mickey and Mano are self tought just as Slydini was.....and what they do no one else does..this is what makes them unique...
then the post continues on about my lack of wrtting skills. and yes they do suck ,so what...
next there is talk about magicians helping magician let me say this my wrtting skills suck but I alawys have helped others and will continue to help.. this is how I got my name the godfather...

Mano has to work on his routine and patter as suggested but again look at the skill..my origional post..also this routine needs to be performed for a audience not a camera....
Lastly I meant no disrespect to anyone who commented on this thread we all have our points..good or bad
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
One thing that bothers me about some of the criticism I see on here is that the MOST critical always seems to come from the same folks that have never put any of their own work up for viewing and critique!
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Just for clarification, Pete McEwen has a couple of performances that have appeared on the Café.

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......orum=217

Godhandz goes without saying. His magic is everywhere.

And Feldman you can see a bit here:

http://www.magicmichael.com/Media.html

Or check out this thread where Godhandz and Bill Citino express their admiration for his work at the recent NY Coin Seminar.

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......start=60

It's on page 3.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My apologies to David Roth, David never asked Mano to session with him. my misunderstaning...
I hope David lurks and sees my comment to him.
I will not respond to this post anymore
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 02:50, ASW wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 02:33, vinsmagic wrote:

Darwin Ortiz is a teriffic magician but is one of the most boring....watching him on video or in person one falls asleep.....

Make up your mind. What you wrote is oxymoronic. Either he's boring or a terrific magician, but he can't be both.

Of course you can. A great magician: could be a great thinker, sleight of hand, great misdirection ... but if they boring, they're boring: boring presentation, monotonous, etc

In line with Mano's presentation one thing he did a bit too much of was rock from foot to foot. There is a lot of power in stillness.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
I have to agree. Take Ray Kosby, for example. A lot of people think of him as a good creative mind in the field of magic. If you watch his old "Wow! It's Ray Kosby" tape though, you feel like he's the awkward, nervous wallflower in school and you're the head cheerleader that he's trying to ask out to prom. It's uncomfortable to watch in some places.

I love the ideas presented on the video though.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 20:19, MickeyPainless wrote:
One thing that bothers me about some of the criticism I see on here is that the MOST critical always seems to come from the same folks that have never put any of their own work up for viewing and critique!

Oh come on Mick. That's really not fair man.
Critics of movies, books, chefs, fashion, etc, don't have to show or do these things better than those they critique. Right, wrong, helpful or not they simply voice thier opinions.
In this case maybe some folks are experienced in magic, have no way of posting it or care what other magicians think as well as other reasons.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I hear ya Jaz! I was irritated at the moment and when I went back for an edit I couldn't! Sorry if any offense was taken by anyone!
Mick
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1887 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2007-12-09 18:25, kannon wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 02:50, ASW wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 02:33, vinsmagic wrote:

Darwin Ortiz is a teriffic magician but is one of the most boring....watching him on video or in person one falls asleep.....

Make up your mind. What you wrote is oxymoronic. Either he's boring or a terrific magician, but he can't be both.

Of course you can. A great magician: could be a great thinker, sleight of hand, great misdirection ... but if they boring, they're boring: boring presentation, monotonous, etc

Well, I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, since my later posts have been deleted. I won't rewrite them, but you might find this web page instructive.

Certainly the opinions expressed there have more weight for me than those of any hobbyist magician.

See, also, the bored and listless reactions of the people in this video.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
So I've been lurking on this thread for a while and couldn't resist to post anymore...

With regards to the video. I must agree with what others have said, Pete McEwen specifically. I agree with everything he's said on the thread and am sad that he got criticized so badly for giving honest feedback.

I met Mano a while ago, and his skill is impressive. Anyone who has seen his "Mano-lift" off a hardwood table will attest to that. I was a little disappointed with this video though. The skill was def there, just the presentation lacked. I think if it was shortened and the presentation worked on, the routine would be very solid.

To address other posts, just so it doesn't come up and bite me later...I've posted videos of my own work on youtube a while ago. Unfortunately had to take them down for stupid reasons that I won't waste space on here. For those that are interested in seeing any of my work or want to know why I took them down, feel free to send a PM.

Back to the topic at hand, ultimately the skill was IMPRESSIVE as always, just the presentation needs a little work.

Also, Chad Barnard hit the nail of the coffin perfectly w/his thread links above. Way to look out for us Chad! Smile

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I think you are right on the mark there Bill,Pete and Chad's comment's were constructive ...how can we progress if people don't give us there opinions ,when I get round to posting some of my routines I hope people will be honest with there comments ...i don't want people saying it's good cause they don't want to hurt my feelings.

Best

Blade
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three tries to get it right/ mano tejera (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL