We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three tries to get it right/ mano tejera (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***well is he a real human ??***

You have to wonder! Not only is he an incredible magician but he's a top notch marathon runner as well and anyone that runs for FUN make me wonder! Smile
aiki
View Profile
Regular user
Middletown NY
181 Posts

Profile of aiki
I can not see the video, says it is private. Has the video been changed since it was posted?
Ray K.

Till we meet again!
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
In the past, Mano has preferred that links to his videos not be posted here. In this case, it might be different, but this has come up in the past.
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
As always Mano's sleight of hand is incredible...

but....

I have this question: What is the effect?

The technique is pretty amazing, but if I tried to describe to someone what the effect was, I don't think I would even know where to start. Maybe it's just because I am currently reading Ortiz's Strong Magic that I am constantly thinking through this lens, but I think clarity of effect is very important (not necessarily simplicity of effect... the effect can be complicated, but it should also be clear). And in this case, I found it very difficult to follow along with what was SUPPOSED to be happening.

Brilliant technique, but I really think that the first 20 pages of Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic should be required reading for all magicians.
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10805 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ortiz should be required reading...However what Mano does in his techniques Ortiz can not teach because this is only unique to Mano...
Mano in the very near future will be releasing a dvd which will reveal all or most of his ideas.....The name as far as I can recall is Mano's Way.....
I hope ths helps
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I can't wait for that DVD to come out! It has to be cool.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Vinny, Darwin Ortiz's book is not a book of methods or routines. It is a book on presentational theory, and how to make the routines you have stronger (Afterall, Ortiz is primarily a card magician anyway).

Certainly this looks like work original to Mano, I just think a routine like this would have a diminished impact on an audience, because it is more confusing than magical. This looks more like a for-magicians-only routine, than something that would play for laymen, and I just think Ortiz explains why very well in his chapter about clarity of effect.

The technique is great, I just come away not knowing what was supposed to have happened, so it's great sleight of hand, I just don't think its "magic." Because the effect in this routine seems unclear, and coins seem to reappear for no reason only to hide the existance of another coin we know should have been there, begs the spectator to recognize that there IS a solution (careful concealment), we just don't know exactly what it is. I think strong magic begs the spectator to conclude that there is simply no possible solution.
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Mfeld, I'm not sure how its not clear to be quite honest. its almost a story trick. if he had use 3 silver coins this might not work, but this reminds me of cardini in that the magic is happening to him, not by him.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
The magic was beautiful.

Now put the tar and the feathers down - the history and cultural lesson in the patter needs to be looked at. There is no way that Nepal (Tibet) would willingly pal around with China. Just something to think about.
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Ok, well maybe it's just me that didn't get the effect. If that's the case, then so be it.

Does anyone want to take 2 or 3 sentences and tell me what the overall effect is supposed to be?
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 17:05, mfeld wrote:
Ok, well maybe it's just me that didn't get the effect. If that's the case, then so be it.

Does anyone want to take 2 or 3 sentences and tell me what the overall effect is supposed to be?

A good effect can be summed up in one....
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
georgecoolla
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of georgecoolla
The coins magically fly between magician's finger
georgecoolla
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of georgecoolla
I mean from hand to hand...sorry bad english
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Sure, the magician is trying to do magic with the coins, but the coins are acting on their own will. (one sentence) this routine is more then a single trick however so he tries to do productions and vanishes and make the coins travel but the coins persistantly cause him problems. this has been done to great success by many pro's. I honestly believe only a magician would have a hard time seeing this, in we tend to oeverthink this type of thing
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I think Mano should drop the patter all together and just do this to music. The script as written really detracts from the routine. Or at least shorten it. It felt like the routine went waaaaaaay too long. I dig Mano was trying to create the feel of having "spectators" present and fabricating interaction with the "spectators", but doing so in this case just made the people I sent this link to feel awkward, layman and magician.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I can understand shortening it down a bit eric
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey everyone, Eric and I spoke about this routine a little bit. I just think it is a little long, and I also feel it gets confusing. That doesn't come from just my but from friends I let watch the video. A good routine to start with, I don't believe it should be a finished product. I think it could be more precise on what is happening. For a good feel of a routine where a magician tried to make something happen but fails is Kainoa Harbottle's Evolution from Shell Shocked.

I understand that a lot of people feel I'm harsh on this site or rarely have something nice to say. Perhaps I have a much more harsh set of friends and relatives and I have to deal with them.

With all that said, Mano has great hands, I mostly enjoyed the routine, I just think it could be shortened and cleaned up.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
During a session with Mano, he showed me the routine 8 times,he told me the routine was created for laymen and it is supposed to be a bit confusing,because he miscall the coins at the very biggining of it,that is why he calls it that title which it is the name of the prudution of the 3 coins.

I did not find the routine long at all,maybe because I saw it live.

I think this one is version #2.

Maybe because I have watched the routine that many times live I don't find it confusing, if you ever come across Mano,ask him to perform it for you,this routine live looks like real magic..

Vincent,
I am from China and mentioned what is happening with China,Naple,Tibet, but he knew about that; he told me this just a coin routine where the patter unfold that way as he was playing with the routine and he did not want to start another patter.

Wu.

P.S I notice that we magicians tend to get confuse,especially when we see something knew, you are gonna get more confused with the next routine he'll be posting,it is just Mano's unique style, his coin magic is not like the ny coins guys,sankey etc, it is completely different and that create confusion,right?

P.S I'll let him know about the comments here.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Yes, but I remember hearing someone say "confusion is not magic." I don't want my spectators confused, I want them to follow and watch magic happen. Magic is the difference in the start of the effect and the end. If you are confused about the beginning then when the end comes the effect will be lost on you. Once again these are my opinions. I know that this is Mano's style and it may very well work for him. If it works go ahead. I just figured I'd give my two cents.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
458 Posts

Profile of mfeld
I understand the idea of magic happening to the magician, and I think it's great. Cardini was amazing. But even cardini knew WHAT was happening, he just didn't know why. In this routine Mano (or Mano's character) doesn't even know what is supposed to be happening and this makes it very difficult to follow.

When I showed this to two of my laymen friends they asked me a question a minute and a half in (while he was performing). They asked why he didn't notice other coin had changed until he pulled the black coin out from in between them. Could he not see it?

Finally, I think the description of the video on YouTube says it all. the description of the video is "Hard to describe,LOL" Confusion is not magic. The idea is cool, but it needs to be streamlined and cleaned up. and while I generally like the idea of magic happening to the magician, this routine is already hard enough to follow without the magician being confused as well. I think this routine could benefit from a guide to tell me what's supposed to be happening.

I simply don't buy that laymen are less confused than I was. I love offbeat plots, I look for them, I perform them. but this one, as is, is confusing
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three tries to get it right/ mano tejera (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL